• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Bridge 0-0

Edge

Administrator
Forum Staff
5 Game Player
Jun 24, 2013
An injury & illness depleted side put in a huge shift to earn a deserved point. We also created the best two chances but a goalward bound shot hit Max & stayed out then the save of the season denied Jamie a goal

Josh was solid in goal and Sam did well on his full debut. In fact the whole defence was outstanding.
Benji probably had has best game for us as well despite not being in the original starting xi

And upfront everyone worked hard without really creating anything

An injury & illness depleted side put in a huge shift to earn a deserved point. We also created the best two chances but a goalward bound shot hit Max & stayed out then the save of the season denied Jamie a goal

Josh was solid in goal and Sam did well on his full debut. In fact the whole defence was outstanding.
Benji probably had has best game for us as well despite not being in the original starting xi

And upfront everyone worked hard without really creating anything
Top summary Edge.👍

Really impressed with the drive and attacking football first 20 mins or so today. Slowed down a bit after, but I think Stalybridge contributed a lot to that breakdown with their game plan with constant fouls and hoof balls breaking the game up.

Back 4 was solid, special mentions for Sam who had an excellent debut and impressed at left back, Matty Fenton was a brick wall and Josh in goal was impressive.

Lads showed spirit and fight for the full 90 so really happy in that aspect. We need to improve in the final third and fast, we simply don’t look like scoring with Max up top. Overall happy with a point today and to remain unbeaten under Damian in 2!!

Definite signs of improvement in the two games under Damian. Two credible draws is a solid start.

He’s got us organised and playing like a team again. Thought we competed well and more than earnt our point today against a side near the top of the league and had the better chances. A good crowd as well boosted by a decent Stalybridge following and a few fans of ours returning.

Final third is where we need to improve. Get a goal scorer in and I think we should be okay.

Pretty much agree with your assessment of the game Ben. Definitely better organised , impressive defensively but I worry about our attacking options. Created little in the game apart from first 10 mins and Jamie Nicholsons excellent effort in the second half.
We were of course without a few players and probably missed Lucas and McCann in midfield. Unless we can sort the attack out we will continue to struggle at the bottom. Now in relegation spot following Trafford and Hednesford wins.

Encouraging signs. Started brightly but faded. Similar pattern to the Hednesford game.

Match fitness seems to be an issue for a few of the lads as we looked very leggy in the final 20.

Considering that Stalybridge brought around 100, attendance of 319 was actually quite poor I'd say. Hopefully we can build on 2 unbeaten, get a run of form and capitalise on Boxing Day into the New Year.

Last edited:
Good battling performance today. The side really does have its fight back.

The first half we had 5 shots to their 0, we nullified them and were unlucky not to go ahead.

Second half was mostly controlled by Stalybridge, which was expected considering they’re a very good side.

Great save to deny Jamie Nicholson denied us a winner in the second half, our keeper didnt have anything of note to do today, he looked very composed and calm.

Agree with Mark, our crowds have dropped off big time, but we havent won for a couple of months. We’re now inbeaten for 2 games which is a huge improvement. Get a couple of wins and people will come back!

Up the 74 🇳🇬💚

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A point against a good side at the end of the day. Continue like this we’ll slowly climb the table

Might be an unpopular opinion, but with the way Jamie has been playing, he could replace the goals we lost from Kenzy. Still missing the goals we had from Joe and no one looks like they could fill that void

Encouraging signs. Started brightly but faded. Similar pattern to the Hednesford game.

March fitness seems to be an issue for a few of the lads as we looked very leggy in the final 20.

Considering that Stalybridge brought around 100, attendance of 319 was actually quite poor I'd say. Hopefully we can build on 2 unbeaten, get a run of form and capitalise on Boxing Day into the New Year.
Gate probably around 360 with kids and comps …..not a bad crowd. Much better since DC took over….play like we did today and we’ll soon start climbing the table. COYG

Reactions: Ben
Might be an unpopular opinion, but with the way Jamie has been playing, he could replace the goals we lost from Kenzy. Still missing the goals we had from Joe and no one looks like they could fill that void
I hope it is not unpopular. I have been saying for some time that I would like to see him start up front. He is selfish in front of the goal, which in this case is a good thing because it means he will go for goal. And he is fast enough to feed off what max wins in the air. I thought Max has played much better in the last 2 games and was good yesterday - maybe the new hair style?!!

I hope it is not unpopular. I have been saying for some time that I would like to see him start up front. He is selfish in front of the goal, which in this case is a good thing because it means he will go for goal. And he is fast enough to feed off what max wins in the air. I thought Max has played much better in the last 2 games and was good yesterday - maybe the new hair style?!!
Max has been working very hard on the pitch and was unfortunate to block Benji’s shot, but he spends too much time wrestling the opposition and I think he’d win far more fouls if he kept his hands down

Attachments

• IMG_0027_Original.jpeg
    IMG_0027_Original.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
A brief, and inaccurate, report from Bridge

http://www.stalybridgeceltic.co.uk/rep.php?id=17531

Regarding the gate, if Bridge brought 100 then we had 219. That’s more than against Avro & this close to Xmas isn’t too bad.

As for the frontline. We missed Lucas’s quality from dead balls yesterday. Jamie & Jamal could be closer to Max - more wide forwards than wingers but then we probably need the full backs getting forward. Sam did that pretty well yesterday.
We also need a better out ball. Long to Max doesn’t really work. Chris McCann probably helps us build better when available.

It’s early days but we look more solid and you can’t fault the effort being put in

Thought we were very good yesterday and we're very well organised and more than matched Stalybridge for the 90 mins, agree that we look a bit lightweight up front and didn't really look like scoring except for a few occasions, I personally think that we would benefit from having Matty Birchall at #9 with Max playing a bit deeper behind him where he can hold up the ball and flick it on etc which would take defenders attention and free up space for others

Battling performance from 74 yesterday. It’s clear that we need more of a goal threat if we are to hopefully win some games. I thought the defence played well again and helped earned us the point. Our on loan goal keeper was calm and assured in keeping a clean sheet, but he wasn’t seriously tested. Not too disappointed with the draw and now looking forward to the trip next week to Kidsgrove.

Reactions: Ben
Back