• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Guardian Barton Stadium to continue as home to 1874 Northwich

• Thread starter Northwich Guardian |
  • Start date
Re 3G pitches, it also depends on the FA sticking to a policy and ALL leagues falling in line with it.

I think the idea about sharing a 3g pitch at moss farm is our best bet

Hate to break the bad new but CWAC has no money.

Not sure why you would want benefit from the compensation money from Thor. You guys were supporting Thor's attempts of trying to get out of paying any compo at all. bit hypocritical that if you ask me, especially if it came from the loss of the ground that the morally corrupt football club built and you voted not to have owt to do with anymore.

Football & rugby should be played on grass anyway

Not sure why you would want benefit from the compensation money from Thor. You guys were supporting Thor's attempts of trying to get out of paying any compo at all. bit hypocritical that if you ask me, especially if it came from the loss of the ground that the morally corrupt football club built and you voted not to have owt to do with anymore.

You got exactly what you deserved from the sale of the VS...... Like for like stadium.... Owned f*** all got f*** all!

Built, but two sets of owners didn't necessarily pay for .... and the other was nowhere near close to buying ;)

For someone who dislikes 1874 so much Colin, you seem to spend an awful lot of time logging on here to check what's going on :D

My personal opinion for what it's Worth it will take 10 to 15 years to get are own ground I can't see Moss Farm happening for various reasons so unless someone willing to. Invest millions of pounds I can only see two options
1 is to ground share with Witton and pay whatever they want.
2 is to stay at winsford but a long term Ground share but we will need to spend money on playing surface and maybe put stand up Behind one of the goals similar to the one at Stockport sports on the understanding when we get are own ground that we take the stand with us

Let's ignore colins ramblings in this thread and keep it sensible.
In this day and age new grounds are built by 'partners' who contribute in various ways providing it meets their aims and aspirations and they get something out of it. 74 are better placed than most here given the trust status and our history so far. It will be appealing to a council if there there is a community benefit involved. It would be appealing to a local FA looking to develop football facilities. It would be appealing to other sports bodies who could also share the facilities. It would be a good project for a local company looking to raise its profile to be associated. When it happens it will be a jigsaw coming together!
As for ground sharing with an existing club (that has to be Witton or Winsford?). Vics are irrelevant here as 74 is the most desirable tenant because of all the additional cash that comes with larger crowds. Witton are not daft, Vics are there until we need a better facility at which point I suspect they will be got rid of. The only danger from Vics is damage to our reputation if people don't know the difference.
Until then it's down to patience and the luxury of dreaming a little bit!

Would love to have an association with The Blades and an 1874 adoption of the famous Blades anthem would be awesome

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hi tony - very much like the Sheffield idea - but how about "hark now here the Wednesday sing United ran away----" from a 74 owl

Witton will ground share with vics for one season then witton will not renew the ground share then vics will have no were to go bye vics

I believe the board have made the correct decision to remain at the BS. We have to make the most financially prudent choice and if that's remaining at Winsford, then that is what I'll support. I don't personally think our gates would be any higher than our current 350 average at Winsford and rent is cheaper.
As for our own ground, it's not going to happen overnight!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tez
Wonder if the board has any plans to play any games again at widnes over the winter?
Just a thought what was the total cost of a season at the BS & a couple of games hiring out widnes, how far short of the witton season hire was / is this total?

Nothing in writing yet I think ..... but if it happens I'm sure they'll rub along together just nicely ;):finger
If it is the right decision decided by the board and in the best interest of Witton Albion FC then that will be the decision that will be made.

If it is the right decision decided by the board and in the best interest of Witton Albion FC then that will be the decision that will be made.

Can't disagree with that Paul. If the Board think it's the right decision and the fans give it their one hundred percent backing, then that's what Witton should do.

If there is to be an exploration into improving facilities on someone else's turf then why not divert the attention to Lostock Gralam's Park Stadium or Barnton's Townfield Lane?
We could be setting out our stall in two 'areas' of Northwich.

A fear is that it will get all too cosy at Winsford.

Have to say that playing on Barntons ground has crossed my mind at least for some of the cup matches to save the B.S. pitch.
I turned up for the Colne game last week and after finding it was postponed drove to Townfield Lane to see if Barnton were at home but they weren't.
Seemed a shame to have a ground fit for football totally deserted while we added to our fixture backlog.

Back