• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Atherton Colls last night

richard webb

I Live Here
Aug 7, 2013
I am surprised nothing has been put up about last night. With a similar line up to Saturday we looked so much better and no-one had a bad game. It was a bit of a surprise when Colls took the lead and even more when we equalised as after the goal we had still not had a shot all evening (If the highlights become available you will see what I mean!). We completely outplayed Colls in the 2nd half and even had a goal by Matty Fenton disallowed right at the end, and had 2 or 3 other good attempts.

After the horrors of Saturday and the depression that brought on last night was very satisfying, although we still need to make more scoring chances.

The Colls Manager comes across as a disingenuous knob. “Tried to kick us off the park from minute one” …. well that would be a first for ‘74👀🫣😁
Any idea of last night’s line-up folks🤔

Ellis, Benjy Mullarkey, Jason Akiotu, Matty Fenton, Jonah, Jack Marrow, Josh Marris, Fenton Green, Gabe, Lucas, Jamie Nicholson was the starting line up - and there were lots of changes in the 2nd half. As to their manager comments, we did commit a few fouls but to my eyes far and away the majority of the black arts came from them. The number of shirt pulls and fouls was large. Their report talks of the good play between Josh Askew (3) and Nathan Caine (11). While this might be true, Askew was one of the dirtier players I thought although not as bad as the trialist 4. And we had at lest 3 good attempts in the 2nd half, not one.

The Colls Manager comes across as a disingenuous knob. “Tried to kick us off the park from minute one” …. well that would be a first for ‘74👀🫣😁
I have always thought that we don't do enough of that personally, apart from when we had the likes of Chappie and Lee Jones we've always lacked physicality in our squads imo

I have always thought that we don't do enough of that personally, apart from when we had the likes of Chappie and Lee Jones we've always lacked physicality in our squads imo
Yes cos Chappie and Lee never got sent off in important games did they!

Here's what Simmons said...

A game the hosts will have finished feeling optimistic; matched higher-ranked guests after the interval and deserved to draw level.

Still work to do, of course, but that’s to be expected at this stage of summer.

Lots more decent play last night than Saturday without really creating much until....... we scored.

Our goal really did inspire us to produce more telling passes and a few chances. Neither keeper was overworked but I do think that with our second half performance we deserved the win.

They were nowhere near the Salford team last week but we certainly matched them and were lucky with the goal but unlucky with the result.

Still work to do but much better.

No Chubbs, Lee clobbered people and resulted in 4 others being sent off but not him. That is class! ;)
Ah yes the game at Abbey Hey when we were 4-0 up with 10 mins to go. Cue utter carnage from Lee!!

His most stupid one was in the cup game v Glossop after about 15 mins. We lost 3-0.

I think if we had anyone of the Chappie and Lee ilk it would be back to the old days of 14 red cards for the season.

I listened to it as well. Given that we are still in July, his comments have certainly set a high bar for this season’s ““biggest load of 💩 spoken by a manager” award!

Ah yes the game at Abbey Hey when we were 4-0 up with 10 mins to go. Cue utter carnage from Lee!!

His most stupid one was in the cup game v Glossop after about 15 mins. We lost 3-0.

I think if we had anyone of the Chappie and Lee ilk it would be back to the old days of 14 red cards for the season.
I recall Chappers being sent off in the FA Cup tie at home v Barnton on the opening day of the season when he got hold of a pair of goggles that one of the Barnton players was wearing, stretched out the elastic before letting them go so that they twanged back into his face!

#onlychappy
#madasaboxoffrogs

We'd also be able to compete more with the bigger teams in the league and not get outrun and dominated in the midfield

All in all, Some positives to take from the Colls game - higher opposition and thought we upped the tempo and play second half. (Great to see Sam come on yet again and drive at a defence.. hint hint)

Only seen Barnton and Colls thus far - but I believe it had been noted that Jamie didn’t seem to want to pass to the full back against Wythenshawe? - seemed much of the same Tuesday to me, lost the ball a lot when a simple pass and move opportunity was there.

We'd also be able to compete more with the bigger teams in the league and not get outrun and dominated in the midfield
I think we've already got Sam and Jack when he's recovered from his hand injury to give the steel in midfield without resorting to players who are going to get sent off every few weeks. I think Paul and Wayne have prided themselves on players that don't do stupid things on the field. I'd much rather we keep the current ones rather than sign any Roy Keane's etc.

I think we've already got Sam and Jack when he's recovered from his hand injury to give the steel in midfield without resorting to players who are going to get sent off every few weeks. I think Paul and Wayne have prided themselves on players that don't do stupid things on the field. I'd much rather we keep the current ones rather than sign any Roy Keane's etc.
We’ve got them but will they actually play them or will it be more of the same from last season and they end up out on dual reg / leaving due to being our best performing cm and not getting a sniff?

Back