• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Abuse to officials.

ste

Legend
Aug 5, 2013
Now don't get me wrong, if you care and support a team you are going to be passionate and get involved but some of the abuse I've seen towards officials (particularly linesman as they are nearest to the crowd) has been awful.
This is my first season watching non league for around 25 years. I've had a season ticket with a premiership club and expect it there but not at this level.
To have grown men calling the linesman a wan##er , a fuc##ing pri## etc when a decision doesn't go our way doesn't exactly promote us as a family club.
How anyone could official a match with that abuse is beyond me , versus the 10er or so they get.
We all swear but some of it is getting really abusive now.

Reactions: Ben
I agree and I am one of the worst offenders, I made a promise at the start of this season not to swear at matches, that promise was broken at the first game. I will say that its no where near as bad as it was at Vics and considering that the majority of us are ex Vics fans says a lot. Ive tried to think before I open my gob, especially when there are young kids and ladies close by but sometimes during the heat of the moment I get carried away. I dont agree with your acceptance that its expected at higher level but at ours, bit two faced. In my opinion its worse hearing it on liveTV Pemier matches for tbe whole world to hear, now thats embarrassing.

Question is how can we as a community family related club reduce it or prevent it?

Last edited:
Swear boxes on the terraces.
Big ones, every few yards, should do it. Might turn into an inadvertent money-maker!

That was suggested in jest, but maybe there's some mileage in the idea? Attach little flip-top bins to the railing or the crush barriers and allow us to police ourselves. If we are a true community we ought to be able to do that and take it in good humour.
And it might get some good publicity too.

I think there's a lot of truth in what Ste said. I also think we have some incredibly one-eyed fans and that's annoying.

I'll only get into trouble if I comment! Suffice to say I agree with Ste 100% Also it could turn out to be detrimental to the team in future if an abused official has "had enough" so to speak and decides to punish the team on the pitch rather than report the abuse off it. Serves absolutely no purpose other than to vent the individual fans frustration (and to embarrass his/her peers).

Swear box sounds like a good idea! Donate all money at the end of the year to ciarans cause

In my opinion we should start by naming and shaming fans who use foul language on our forum, hey Chris?.... lol

Bugger - Shit that's another quid ..... £2 bastard £3 flip £3.20, deary me £3.22. I am getting better though the doctor tells me I need to take my medication at more even bastard intervals, shit £5.22!! Bugger £6.22 I'm going to bed now!

I'll only get into trouble if I comment! Suffice to say I agree with Ste 100% Also it could turn out to be detrimental to the team in future if an abused official has "had enough" so to speak and decides to punish the team on the pitch rather than report the abuse off it. Serves absolutely no purpose other than to vent the individual fans frustration (and to embarrass his/her peers).
I think if I was an official getting the abuse I've seen at a few games, it wouldn't actually endear me to give the team close cut decisions ( whether that's right or wrong.)
We all know the level of football we're involved in thus the officials are mostly just starting out themselves, so unfortunately mistakes ( or what are seen as mistakes) are going to be made.)
I even heard some of our younger fans getting at the linesman yesterday, so this is already being passed down.
If I saw people in the street giving verbal abuse like I've seen at the match, I'd expect them to be decked - and it would be justified. So what's so different on the terraces?? Is it a gang mentality?
I can see a 'Cantona' moment happening before long!!

Its not swearing as such I am getting at - we're all guilty of that in the 'heat of battle' from time to time.
Its the personal abuse that is directed towards the officials.

Although I do agree that swearing at officials can get out of hand a little I feel that it can't be helped and no matter how hard we try we won't kick it out of the game fully.
But I feel that we can help kick out a little bit of swearing at matches, how we do that is another matter, but we do need to do something about it.

I fully agree the abuse directed to highly trained and expert officials is a poor show ...... In saying that the numpty, sorry ref on Saturday was a vertically challenged pillock

While I don't doubt the integrity of any of the match officials, I'm sure any abuse doesn't help to influence 50/50 decisions our way.

Easy to get wound up in the heat of the moment (we've all been there, although that is no excuse), but the bottom line is the ref and his two assistants are doing their job in their leisure time. Sure they get expenses, but no more. Collectively as fans all over the country (hard as it might be at times) we need to realise that without them we'd have no game to watch on a Saturday. Even what we perceive as a poor official, is better than no official at all.

Reactions: Ben
Tez your statement above is not correct,the referee's at all levels get a fee,even down to under 12s + expenses.But I do agree they have a very difficult job,I was one myself, the abuse I got was water off a ducks back,and it was no different than it is today.Although I do not condone it,you will hear it at every ground in the country even the local parks.

I get carried away with the best of them but when you see Welstead getting booked for deliberate hand ball on a saturday and on the monday a Widnes player commits the same offence in virtually the same place and gets nothing then that infuriates players and supporters alike.
Refs need to be consistant even if that is consistently bad.
I think the referees assessors report should be available for people to read, Might give us an insight into how these people see the refs performances.

We all call officials when we feel an unjust decision against the team that we passionately follow, however there is a line we shouldn't cross. Friendly banter is all part of the entertainment of the day, but to swear and abuse them is not the way to do it.

I was on the line on Monday when the liner got one wrong in my opinion and I told him so, in a polite way! The next decision he got right and again I told him so, I got a "thumbs up" from him with his hand behind his back which I thought was a great gesture.

I'm sure those that do swear and abuse would not like it directed at them so why should a ref or liner accept it!! Join in the game by all means but do it without being offensive, PLEASE!! For the integrity of OUR club.

Fact is without match officials there would be no match, I dont go to work expecting to be verbally abused by my employer, if I did I would make sure I got my own back by rimming his coffee cup or some thing a little less gross... :yawn

I have said on many occasions that I could not be a match official but if I was and subjected to verbal abuse assault I wouldnt be for long because Id jump the barrier and sort it out. :hurting

I think the club need to sort this issue out for next season, similar to the foul language signs at Burscough, maybe a volunteer holding a swear box or in my case a bucket to take donations for swearing.

RESPECT MATCH OFFICIALS AND BITE YOUR LIP

Back