• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Abbey Hey matchday thread

These beat Nelson midweek, so it could be a tough game.

I'm going for a 3-1 win, with 175 greens making the trip.

4-0 win & 4 sent off (two from each side)

Fantastic performance today, shouldn't let the referee and Abbey Hey players going rouge in the last 10 take the shine off it.

Both Abbey hey players deserved to see red, not sure about Thomas will have to see the video. As for short, not a clue why he was sent off...

Fantastic performance today, shouldn't let the referee and Abbey Hey players going rouge in the last 10 take the shine off it.

Both Abbey hey players deserved to see red, not sure about Thomas will have to see the video. As for short, not a clue why he was sent off...
I agree with what you say but feel that Jones started the worst of it by kicking their player on the ground. He had been having a gentle kick all game and if he had got red I would not have been surprised. The fracas took the shine off a great game with 2 well struck goals by Brandon, a great attempt by SHort and a fantastic display from their keeper who deserved much better from his defence than to let Paul Connors score such a soft goal after a brilliant save.
We are not doing our fairplay standing very well this season, and unlike Runcorn I thought the ref was not having a bad game (apart from letting them push Brandon off every ball he went in the air for) until his 4 person sending off madness. Hope none of our supporters let us down this time!

Great 3 points for us today and as for our fair play record there is nothing we can do about referees that have it in for us this season and all we can do is keep focused on picking up the 3 points.
:scarf:

I am sure referees don't "have it in for us", I think they are often at this level perhaps not quite yet up to Collini standards and sometimes dig themselves a hole they then find it difficult to get out of. And many will not be used to performing in front of a larger audience, which I think will also affect their decision-making, especially when they get into "a situation". We have to remember that being a match official is not exactly the most rewarding job and there is not a long queue of people waiting to fill the role. Some will rise to the occasion - and then they will be plucked from amongst us to officiate at a higher level - while others will probably grace this level for years to come with good reason.

Meanwhile, I understand from the twitter feed that Danny Thomas was a second yellow - maybe that explains that one a bit more.

Clubs and referees will now be well aware of our disciplinary record, our lads just need to be extra vigilant and learn to walk away from all confrontations or they'll give referees the option of cards.

Excellent performance from the team today - dominated from start to finish and would have won by a few more if it hadn't of been for some great saves from their keeper. Shame that the incident at the end of the game had to put a dampener on an otherwise fully satisfying day.

Ok, video is uploading now (just started and usually takes between 4 and 5 hrs due to the large file size).

I will go out on a limb and say that in my opinion the ref was outstanding yesterday and got 98% of the decisions correct and indeed was very lenient with one of our players. Considering he had as many views at the incident as everyone else at the game I thought the incident was very well handled with thought and consideration and above all GOT IT RIGHT. As others have said it shouldn't take the gloss over what was, up-to that point, a thoroughly professional job by the lads.

But our discipline needs addressing in this man's opinion.

(Btw DT's was a straight red)

Just watched the highlights and I can't understand why that ref showed 1 red card let alone 4. :confused:

Chubbs, your comments are exactly as I thought - only I will name Jones (again). But I will look at the video now and see if it changes anything!

Having now watched it Chubbs you were 100% right. I thought the main piint against the ref was he allowed too much pushing off the ball before the incident but I now agree with you he got the handbags incident right. Best ref I have seen this season.
Incidentally, if anyone disagrees with me (and I know I shout at the ref almost every game) you really ought to try it yourself. I only did it once at football but regularly at RU and it is not easy. And you never win. He did when you see that again.

I was there and the video is pretty much as I saw it.

Jones should have been sent off for practically kicking their number 12 in the nads. Three times!
The no 12 swung a punch at Jones and was rightly sent off.

Their no 6 was looking for a fight and leant his head into Thomas and eventually hit him. Also correctly sent off.
Thomas didn't do much wrong - maybe should have got a yellow for not walking away.

No idea what Short was sent off for. The linesman thought he saw something. I just thought he was trying to break it up. Any ideas anyone?

Who'd be a ref? It would have been a nightmare to sort all that out at the time. Can't blame him too much for getting it a bit wrong.

Watching the video when Short first gets involved and when he try’s to split things up he appears to lead with his leg
(18 min’s 17 secs into video). In front of the linesman.

Apart from not sending off Lee Jones, looks like the officials got it spot on.
I seem to remember the Abbey Hey no.12 trying to kick lumps out of Danny in the home game, so wonder if there's some history there?

Looks like we need a further ( I assume we had previous) chat regarding player discipline? Difficult I don't doubt for players in the heat of the moment, but the bottom line is that all these cards are costing the club money and our name appearing on the FA radar won't do us any favours moving forward. We also don't need our reputation ( deserved or otherwise) preceding us with the match officials either.

Back