• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

A Hypothetical Question - What's in a name?

Chubbs

Too much time on my hands
Jul 30, 2013
We (my gaggle of friends and I) have been discussing recently the what ifs and maybe's of the future of our club and one of the questions that keeps popping up is the name of the club. Now this is, I stress, only my thoughts being aired here but I remember back when the club was first started back on that memorable mid November evening and later when the name was chosen by us, the owners, that it was stressed after questions from the floor that the name could be changed at a later date should the members wish to.

My question now is, would we want to?

I know some fans would like to revert back to the old name (If and when that ever becomes available!) or some variation perhaps - a hybrid of the two names (though I think that would be overly complicating things)

Personally, I like our name now. It gives us an original and slightly quirky moniker that is as instantly recognisable and memorable as the old one was to people who hadn't the slightest clue of where Northwich was, but knew of the football club.

It is also a conversation starter -
Q "Oh 1874 Northwich - are they the old Northwich V***?"
A "Absolutely not!" and so onto a history of the recent past.

I feel we have developed our own identity now in the football world and any thoughts must surely be to the future and not the past? As I said, my thoughts alone, but I would be interested to know peoples views on this.

So, over to the floor - what are your thoughts?

Why change our name? Why put all this effort in establishing ourselves as an individual entity then change out name? That's just stupid, in my opinion.

As for reverting back to the old name? NEVER EVER!!! That name is toxic, stay clear of it.

I hope we keep our name forever.

Anyone who uses Twitter/Facebook will no doubt have seen the tweet from the AFC Blackpool fan who mistakenly suggested they were entertaining Vics last Saturday :confused: So despite all the good work and the word being spread, there is still some out there (worryingly some of those will be local) who still haven't grasped there are two (distinctly) different entities in existence. I don't expect the sands of time will run too quickly in bringing about the ultimate (financial) demise of Mr Rushe and with it his grasp on the old club; but to to be honest that's all immaterial, we've left the old club and its name behind, let's not be tempted to take it back if/when the opportunity arises.

As a group building our reputation and gaining the confidence of local businesses and the community has been hard won. We can't stop the occasional Blackpoolesque error, that's just unfortunate, but it would be downright careless to throw away what we've achieved by meddling with our identity when there's really no need.

I see no reason to change at all. We gain nothing & we stand to lose a lot of the goodwill we've built up.

Onwards & upwards as they say

One of the unique things about being a Northwich Vics supporter was the uniqueness of the name and the identity and history it held. We weren't a Town, a United or a Rovers. We were Victoria. It was a bit unusual and had an interesting history about it.

That name was sadly and regrettably dragged through the mud in latter years. We broke away from that name and all that was associated with its recent history in order to continue the traditions and values of the old, historic Northwich Vics and to put a stamp on the modern non-league football world with fresh, relevant values. We have done a brilliant job of that and have become - in our own right - an instantly recognizable name.

Thats what is brilliant about 1874 Northwich FC as a name. It both manages to be an entirely new and fresh identity for a brand new club but also harks back to our former joint interest. We didn't choose United, Town, Rovers or (thankfully) AFC. We chose something a bit different and interesting.

Anyway, theres not a bloody chance of me saying that i'm a 'Northwich Vics' fan ever again! I'm '74 now and thats the way i'm staying!

I am 100% behind everyone so far on this thread. Oh how opinions change!

From what I recollect there were quite a few who wanted to take the Victoria if it ever came available. But perhaps not now, says so much for how far we have come as a NEW club!

They can keep the name all the dirt that goes with all the shame the dishonesty, all the self movitated gains their chairmen have made, and the keep those "fans" that still go hoping for miracles.

1874 and that's that

We are 1874 now and I want us to remain having that name in the future.
It's unique and it's what our fan base democratically voted for.

We voted a name for a NEW club, the old club which we supported is toxic due to the "antics" of previous individuals, a change of name would be nonsense.

When we all took the vote to start a new fans owned football club we didn't just turn a page or start a new chapter in the old clubs history, we started writing a new book from page 1 on a blank piece of paper. We took a positive step and have continued to move forward since that day, to change our name back to the club we left behind would be a huge negative leap backwards and downwards that would destroy everything we've fought to achieve.

1874 Northwich FC is not just a name, it's our title, our identity, our heritage, our history, it's who WE ARE.

Well that seems fairly clear then! There are still certain individuals on twitter getting het up about the use of the word toxic though, can't imagine why;):)

Perhaps if they were owed money (no I mean REALLY owed money ;)) then perhaps they'd see it in a different light.

Anyhoo back to topic. Looks like we have just one main strand of opinion on the subject Chris, though I never doubted it would be any other way.

We (my gaggle of friends and I) have been discussing recently the what ifs and maybe's of the future of our club and one of the questions that keeps popping up is the name of the club. Now this is, I stress, only my thoughts being aired here but I remember back when the club was first started back on that memorable mid November evening and later when the name was chosen by us, the owners, that it was stressed after questions from the floor that the name could be changed at a later date should the members wish to.

My question now is, would we want to?

I know some fans would like to revert back to the old name (If and when that ever becomes available!) or some variation perhaps - a hybrid of the two names (though I think that would be overly complicating things)

Personally, I like our name now. It gives us an original and slightly quirky moniker that is as instantly recognisable and memorable as the old one was to people who hadn't the slightest clue of where Northwich was, but knew of the football club.

It is also a conversation starter -
Q "Oh 1874 Northwich - are they the old Northwich V***?"
A "Absolutely not!" and so onto a history of the recent past.

I feel we have developed our own identity now in the football world and any thoughts must surely be to the future and not the past? As I said, my thoughts alone, but I would be interested to know peoples views on this.

So, over to the floor - what are your thoughts?

Now that it has become available I can't understand why we are not taking the name?

I vote that at the end of the season we change the name to AFC Northwich Villa.

Makes perfect sense to me :):):)

Now that it has become available I can't understand why we are not taking the name?

I vote that at the end of the season we change the name to AFC Northwich Villa.

Makes perfect sense to me :):):)

The voice of reason :rolleyes: :D

There are still certain individuals on twitter getting het up about the use of the word 'toxic' though, can't imagine why;):)

A certain person thinks we're referring to his 'Hazardous Waist'....:woot

Back