• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

74’ vs Avro

Jack Owen

Too much time on my hands
Aug 4, 2013
So tomorrow we face Avro for the first time at home in league action, it was all set up to be the game where 74’ won the NWC Premier division if all went well in the 2019/20 season. Unfortunately, it didn’t. (Thanks Covid!)

Looking forward to tomorrow then, can we get another good crowd down at Townfield? 300+?

Please help our club out everyone, ask all your friends, family, work colleagues etc if they fancy coming down to watch tomorrow; lets all do our bit to start growing OUR clubs attendances. Remember, the more people we get through the gate, the more money the club makes which in turn will help us with survival at this level.

See you all tomorrow, best of luck to Wool, Jonah and the lads.

Up the 74’ 💪🇳🇬

So much better today but still work to be done

I think we shaded the first half without testing the keeper.
The start of the 2nd was similar but we took the lead through a great free kick from Lucas
Then they equalised with a free kick from the touchline that seemed to miss everyone and go in
And then in the last minutes they carved us open down our left to set up a tap in

I though Lucas had his best game of the season and Chris McCann looked quality in the midfield
We certainly got forward more than I’ve seen but never worked the keeper.

A new manager & a couple of additions and I think we’ll be ok

Hard one to take that. Second half except the last 10 mins was the best football I’ve seen us play in the past 2 years, brilliant at times.

Lucas was immense today, excellent performance all round, McCann coming in really compliments him - goal just capped off his performance today.

That being said, 2 really poor goals to concede. Very poor from an experienced head in Woolley in giving a needless foul away to give them a free kick in a dangerous position, should easily have been a throw in and we likely don’t concede and keep the game at 1-0. Second goal, again poor one to concede.

Said it before and I’ll say it again, Max doesn’t give me confidence of scoring goals.

Would love to see a middle trio of Lucas, Sam and McCann - some of the balls and overall play from Chris was top level and then to have Sam/Lucas both players who like to drive forward would be a complete different dimension to our midfield and an exciting prospect.

So much better again today. Two improved performances against Linnets and now Avro.

I felt we deserved a draw and harsh to lose but when you’re down there, nothing seems to go your way. Midfield looked so much better with McCann who is a quality addition and Lucas who had an immense game. I’d like to see a midfield three of Lucas, McCann and Sam also.

A lack of quality in the final third is what continues to cost us and giving sloppy goals away. We again created very little. A lot better though recently and with a new manager and a couple of additions, I also think we should be okay.

Two huge games now against Trafford and Hednesford!

The importance of these two weeks becomes immense now as a real gap opening! The sooner we get the new man in the door the better!

Think we’ll wait with baited breath and I don’t think our board has ever had a more important decision!

Agree, Lucas was excellent today but also what was Matt doing!!!! McCann a real good addition and may prove someone who helps guide on the pitch alongside Jones for the rest of the season.

Is there any news on when the board will have made a decision?

Thought we were unlucky to lose today, a lot of effort went in and it was a shame it was unrewarded.
2 massive games coming up and good support needed,
Where was everybody today in what was an awful attendance.

People don’t realise what damage staying away from home games cos we’re off form does to the club.

Other clubs down at the bottom still get their fans turning out in good numbers, come on everyone, please support us next Saturday. We need you!🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬

Last edited:
I don’t think you can deny it was a much better performance today with a tremendous effort. I too was impressed with McCann. You can see his calmness on the ball and extra class. Lucas free kick was excellent- he has scored a few of these now.
However in the last third we are just not good enough. Nowhere near clinical enough and I said at half time I could only see us scoring from a Lucas free kick or a Matty header from a corner. And if you don’t score goals you are in trouble - we are the lowest scorers in the league I think. A lot to improve on in this department.
Also we must stop giving away easy goals - there been quite a few so far. Such a shame as we were good in defence for a majority of this game.
I also thought AVRO were a good side. Very organised defensively, tough and had pace going forward. A surprise package for me.
Must win next few games. A gap opening up between the bottom three and the rest and we have played 2 more games than those immediately above us.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Oh and regarding the poor gate I’m afraid no matter how hard you try people will not come if we continue to lose. Football fans can be fickle creatures and many will only support a winning side. It’s a shame.

As people have said above the Final third is massively letting us down if don't shoot you don't score lucas had best game today since coming back what can i say about McCann best player on the pitch by a mile with two massive big game coming we need to get everyone to townfield next Saturday and get behind the boys and we need to get Hednesford in numbers shame club are not running a bus for this one

I'm sorry but Max was just not good enough today, apart from 1 run in the second half where he won a corner, I'm struggling to think of any positives in his game.
Never looked like he had a goal in him all game. Had a great chance and the one shot he had nearly hit the corner flag. Maybe it's time to give Sam a start?
We are toothless atm. Birchall also looks a bit light at this level?

Must say the low turnout was disappointing for me today. After a boost last time out against Bootle, coupled with better performances and effort levels I hoped we would get another good gate!

Vital we get people through the gate next week regardless of the form on paper, as we can all agree the last few games have been a lot lot better!!! After these few games, I’m confident if we keep working and improving, we’re turn it around soon.

Must say the low turnout was disappointing for me today. After a boost last time out against Bootle, coupled with better performances and effort levels I hoped we would get another good gate!

Vital we get people through the gate next week regardless of the form on paper, as we can all agree the last few games have been a lot lot better!!! After these few games, I’m confident if we keep working and improving, we’re turn it around soon.

Frustrating thing is I worry that some will look at the result and see we’ve lost again and not turn out.

However performances have genuinely been a lot better recently and the lads and management deserve our support in what will be a massive game against Trafford. Fingers crossed people show up!

I'm sorry but Max was just not good enough today, apart from 1 run in the second half where he won a corner, I'm struggling to think of any positives in his game.
Never looked like he had a goal in him all game. Had a great chance and the one shot he had nearly hit the corner flag. Maybe it's time to give Sam a start?
We are toothless atm. Birchall also looks a bit light at this level?
The issue is that we don't create enough for strikers like Max to score, Matty Birchall is a striker playing on the wing and Sam is a CM so wouldn't work much better up front imo as we would still need to create the chances for him

Frustrating thing is I worry that some will look at the result and see we’ve lost again and not turn out.

However performances have genuinely been a lot better recently and the lads and management deserve our support in what will be a massive game against Trafford. Fingers crossed people show up!
Unfortunately points matter more than performances it's just that simple

Wasn't there today due to illness so can't comment on performance, I take on board people's comments that the last few performances have been much better but unfortunately it's points on the board that are going to get fans coming back, I can only speak for myself but I personally find coming to games extremely hard work this season and something that I am only doing due to a sense of deep loyalty to the club and not for any sort of real enjoyment, other fans who are maybe not as emotionally invested in the club won't have that interest or need to go to games atm and unfortunately that's just the way it is

So much for 'getting rid of the managers will improve attendances'
Yesterday's attendance was Abysmal and embarrassing for a Saturday. Even that on a Tuesday would be low.

Avro were probably the best 'back to basics' team we've come up against. Did the nitty gritty well. Extremely well drilled. Strength in depth off the bench.

Felt embarrassed for their number 5 when he went down screaming in the first half only to jump straight back up when he realised he wasn't getting a freekick.

Probably the best ref we've had all season.

Last edited:
Back