• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Eleven Vs Nine

Just because we are a new, community club doesn't mean players and management should be above comment and criticism. I didn't go today but we were appalling against Formby and it doesn't sound much better today. It is a two way thing, atmosphere is generated by the play you are watching, it is difficult to get excited at the moment! Most of us would have expected better performances by now if we're being honest and tactics are definitely questionable. That's not to say I don't have faith that we will be there or there abouts at the end of the season.

Agreed,
We can be all mumsy about 'where we've come from' etc. but what is vitally important - far more so than gaining promotion - is that when we get the paying customer through the gate, we keep them interested and get them on board. That will only come with putting on a show and winning games at home - away matches come second.

Yesterday had to be the most 'Sunday League' game I have ever paid to watch

Did not agree with the manager back in early August when he said that team would challenge for promotion, with seven or eight improvements I do think now we have the players to mount a challenge but there is no structure or understanding between them. Hanley were organised from back to front - they all knew there role. Man for man they are not as good, but as a team - far better. One thing the better sides do is make it hard for you, and yesterday they were happy enough to let our defence and midfield lump it right onto their No. 5's head, once they got their goal, their spoiling tactics worked until their skipper nailed Foy. Credit to most of our lads to not rise to it but a couple of the players' heads had gone.

Hanley have been together as a squad for 3 years or more and won their league at a canter last season, Nelson are spending big money, Colls are a well grounded and disciplined outfit with a team playing together for a while with a well respected management team behind them, Formby won the league last season.

Please lets get it into our collective heads that this is not Conf, Evostick or even NWCL Prem, the lads know their jobs and they will be more keen than anyone to please, they have all bought into our idea of OUR club so please, I know it's hard, give them the benefit of the doubt if a pass goes astray or a shot goes over the bar (or hits it, as in ten or more times this season - must get those dimensions checked!), get behind them and they will produce.

They WANT to play for us - for nothing more than the honour, give 'em a break.

Some prospective for you on yesterdays result. That's only the second match Hanley have lost in the last 12 months. The other game was versus NF Villa when they dual registered half of the Vics squad to play them.

Harsh and unfair.

I'm behind you players

I didn't go on Saturday but of the home games I have seen, I have yet to see a good performance. The performances away from home are much better.

I think as paying spectators people have a right to be critical if they wish. It's free speech at the end of the day.

Give them a break? Not quite sure what you mean Chris. If the team play well they get credit, so if they play badly what do we do, give them credit or give them a break?

This is a football forum where we discuss the on field activities and by god it's been a long time since we've had anything worth discussing but lets not fool ourselves or the team. If we don't critisise poor play then what message do we send out? That we don't care? That it's acceptable? I personally wouldn't give a toss if we lost most of our matches and finished in the bottom half of the table as long as 100% effort has been put in by 100% of the team, 100% of the time, in an entertaining fashion.

In my opinion Chris we should always be honest in our assessments of matches, as we are in everything else related to the club and in my personal opinion the majority of that match was boring, towards the end it felt more like watching a training game.

Last edited:
Some prospective for you on yesterdays result. That's only the second match Hanley have lost in the last 12 months. The other game was versus NF Villa when they dual registered half of the Vics squad to play them.

Probably a training session in preparation for when we play them, it wouldn't surprise me nor would it bother me because that's what we've come to expect from you know who.

Who's Woodley Northwich Flixton Villa FC chairman? Is it still RM or has he come to his senses?

Last edited:
It was my first game due to work commitments over in Switzerland etc. and I think the pressure of playing at 'home' had the effect of making the whole team look somewhat laboured.
Hanley looked a useful team to be honest and had they had better discipline then the outcome would have been different. Due to the latter, it was pleasing that the result went our way in the end - justice was done as the red cards were shockers...and more should have gone.
Still, the scarf purchased will be up behind the bar in Basel this coming week. I'll post a picture accordingly.
Overall, it was good to be back and I hope to get to more games soon.

The drum was available and sat outside the shop all day.

If you can play the drum sitting down, I would like to play the drum from the stand where most of our supporters are and maybe we would get ourselves heard more

It's not that the players aren't good enough, it's more that street has the wrong strategy and from what I've seen no plan b.

Carlos - it was good to have you back and thanks for the sensible comments above.Sorry I didn't manage to see you on Saturday.

As many have already said it is so good to be able to be talking about football matters on the field again even though we all have different ideas and none of us ever have a bad game whist we are sat in the stands or stood on the sidelines!!

What I do know is that Ian Street is so passionate and keen about his "job" at 1874 Northwich and the players are so desperate to do well for their mates AND the brilliant supporters that keep coming to watch them home and away.

Some will say that our position in the league table is more than acceptable, some will say that we are still competing in two cup comps whilst others will say we should play more football on the ground,or we don't have a plan b or c, that we need more in midfield, that the wide men need to tuck in and support more, that such a body doesn't track back enough, that we should play 4 3 3 or 4 5 1 or 4 2 4 or Fred might say 1 2 3 5 ( and with big John up front!)

All good stuff and a real part of football and if we ask ourselves the question " is it better now than it was 12 months ago?" Then I am sure for most the answer will be a resounding YES?,

Now back to working on things for tomorrow nights game against another strong side ( who might just rock up with a plan to get something out of a game against a side that they believe may be up there too at the end of the season) our lads will be ready and equally striving to get the right result ( without big John though Fred!!)

Back