• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

DID YOU KNOW

Paul give me time to check and I will give you all the information I have tomorrow,I will also tell you about a story about one of the games.

thanks toddy. I will take a guess it was a five figure crowd or not far off.

Paul give me time to check and I will give you all the information I have tomorrow,I will also tell you about a story about one of the games.
To the best of my knowledge there have been three. One in the 30's won by Vics and one of each in the 40's and 70's both won by witton. Unfortunately I am old enough to remember the latter! I am just about getting over it.....

Atticus the story is about the one in the 70s.

Kevin is correct and it was the record attendance at Crewe until Spurs played there in the F.A.Cup years later.

Atticus is correct I can only find three
On 15-4-1882 Vics played a team called Witton Novelty(no connection to Witton Albion) the result was a 4-2 win for Vics the gate was 1,200.Played at Hartford
On 26-5-1898 Vics played Witton Albion in the Cheshire Amateur Cup final winning 2-2,the game was at Knutsford.
On 17-4-1937 Vics played Witton Albion in the Senior Cup Final winning 2-0 at Crewe gate 7,104.
On 17-4-1948 they played again at Crewe Witton winning 4-1 the gate was 14,000.
On 15-4-1978 they played again at Crewe it was a 1-1 draw gate 3,413.
On 18-4-1978 in the replay Witton won 1-0 gate2,666.
The story on the first of these games is.
At the time I was the landlord of The Watermans Arms and on the day of the game I was working behind the bar when my very good mate Tony Waterman (a one eyed Wittoner)came in and asked me if I wanted a lift to the match.So off to the game we went,we stood side by side enjoying the game until Witton scored,from then on the stick I got of Tony was unrelenting.Then late in the game we scored much to my delight.The final whistle went I looked round Tony my childhood friend was nowhere to be seen.As I had to get back to open the pub I was desperate for a lift which I got.Later that night I was behind the bar Tony came in all he said to me was you got back then.Tony and I remained good mates until his sad death.He would many times call at my house in Wincham after he had been up to the ground working on it,and nearly every time he came we had heated debate about our two clubs.My wife use to say why do you always argue we would say we have argued since we could walk why stop now.

Lovely story Toddy. 14,000 at the 48 final wow, I don't think we'll see anything like that ever again! Some of the glory days of mid cheshire football I guess.
I didn't know Tony personally but knew of him and how well thought of he was by all Wittoners for all the good things he did for the club. In fact some of our supporters have an annual match with Runcorn supporters in his (and others) memory, all proceeds of which go to charity (Macmillan Cancer Support I think).

Paul let me know when the next match is and I will give a donation.

Thank you Toddy, I believe the game is after the league matches at the end of the season.

The first recorded game between Vics and Witton was friendly on 18-9-1895 it was a 1-1 draw.
The first recorded cup tie between the two teams was on 28-3-1898 Vics won 2-0.
The first recorded league game between them was on 19-11-1898 at Witton,it ended in a 3-2 win for Witton.

Can I add another little story to what I believe has to be the 1948 final.
My dad worked in the bus garage (he was one of those heads that used to come and go between the top of the wall and the roof at the bus station end as those working sneaked a few minutes to watch) so was responsible for the teams transport to Crewe. He and some mates picked the best bus and spent the night before decorating it in green and white for Vics to travel to the final in. They also picked the most rickety old bus for Witton.
Obviously it didn't work!!!!

Pete I have a Photo of that bus after it was decorated,I think my dad helped.

What was the record attendance for a Vics v Witton derby at either the Drill Field or Central Ground?

Back