• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

BREXIT THE MOVIE

Dave.
I was told that he lived with his mum in Barnton.
I wanted to visit him in his mansion in the Hamptons but he was always away making a multi-million pound deal on Wall Street.
Shame really when I could have just walked down to the Penny Black to meet him and I was also told that he was a friend of Colin.

Haha, that final word says it all John :rolleyes:
I don't know about a mansion in the Hamptons, I think he was the Hampton (wick) :D

Interesting thread. I made my mind up a long time ago though and will be voting to stay IN the EU. Reading the facts, the EU is our biggest trading partner and accounts for 40% of our exports. In this context, how can our economy and in turn, jobs, business, trade and public services not be hit? From what I've read, the Out campaign have said very little about how a Britain outside the EU would trade. They've mentioned a Norway/Switzerland type deal, which would involve free movement of people and paying in and following the rules with no say. There has also been talk of a Canada like deal - Canada are still negotiating a trade deal with the EU 7 years later. They have also referred to not wanting Britain to be a member of the single market and seem to think hitting our economy and losing jobs is a price worth paying for "control of our borders", sovereignty and laws etc... I completely disagree with that.

I don't see free movement as a bad thing, as in all this anti-immigrant hysteria, there are 2 million Brits who also live, work, travel and gain an education in the EU. Are the Out campaign prepared to deprive them of that right? Yes, mass immigration has created some pressures on public services in certain areas of the country, but what also about the huge benefit immigration has brought in terms of taxation and our economy, with immigrants paying far more in than they get out?

I also like the idea of working together with our neighbours on issues such as climate change, terrorism the refugee crisis and crime which I feel makes us safer as a country. I don't want us to be cut off from the rest of the world as a vastly diminished power with no say or influence. Not to mention the important rights we could lose in the workplace and human rights which we've fought for.

Yes, the EU is in need of reform and it needs to better handle issues such as the Eurozone crisis and the refugee crisis in a much better way than it has, but there are many positive reasons for remaining in the EU in my mind. The thought of right-wing Tories Gove, Boris and Farage presiding over a post-Brexit Britain is a genuineIy scary one for me, as any protection we had against free-market forces wouId be distinguished in an instance. I hope Britain votes to remain on Thursday.

[QUOTE="Ben, post: 28013, member: 1 don't want us to be cut off from the rest of the world as a vastly diminished power with no say or influence.[/QUOTE]
Lol!!..we are a laughing stock and a European door Mat! We haven't had a proper say in years apart from 'yes sir, whatever you say sir'!
We traded with other countries long before the EU and will continue to do so if we vote out. This is the only chance we will get and a vote to stay in will just tie our balls in knot for years and totally destroy and heritage that is left in our once proud country,!

Reading the facts, the EU is our biggest trading partner and accounts for 40% of our exports.
Not for me Ben. I think we could manage our finances much better if we were out. We pay in much more than we get out and the surplus is being lapped up by countries like Lithuania, Poland, Estonia and Slovakia to name a few. The Dutch are just waiting for us to pull out before they make a decision. Do we really want to be ruled from Berlin/Brussels?
We as a company deal with companies both in and out of the EU and there's no problems. If the product is good and at the right price companies will buy no matter where you are in the world.

Don't want Mr Rushe appealing to the EU now do we!

It's out for me.

I think that many of you probably know my views on whether we should stay in Europe or not, but if you really want a fair, impartial view on the pros and cons of staying in Europe or or not, can I suggest that you tune into the ever excellent Radio 4 Programme 'More or Less' European Special presented by Tim Harford?

A superb listen anyhow that debunks or backs up commonly held beliefs - not just about the EU debate but many other so called 'truisms'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02nrss1/episodes/downloads

By far and away the best info that I have received from either the Brexit or remain campaigns......

Fair enough, I can accept people have different opinions. It would be boring if everyone agreed. We'll just have to see which way Britain votes tomorrow.

Fair enough, I can accept people have different opinions. It would be boring if everyone agreed. We'll just have to see which way Britain votes tomorrow.
Just like football Ben. We all see games differently and have opinions.

There is an old saying, "Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it".
I hope it works out, I really do, but the bigger picture is, it's not just about us anymore but the destabilising of the whole economy of the continent.

Success - to fear, racism and the far right.
Next stop PM Boris with his mask of a Buffoon and policies of Powell.
No wonder Trump flew in today. He must feel like he's among friends here.
Perhaps he could extend his proposed wall to go along the south coast.
A bad day for peace, love and understanding.

interesting to see the breakdown of the demographic of those voting to leave vs remain.... the majority of the younger voters (who this decision will have a big impact on) voting to remain, whilst the older generation voting to leave, where the impact will be less

But this is what we get in a democratic society, wasn't my personal choice, but it's what's been decided by the public, so we have to accept it and move on... only time will tell if it was the right thing to do.....

While I voted in, I just want the best outcome for Britain, if that meant leaving, then so be it.

Yes Frank, the little englander mentality came to the fore and we must now suffer the consequences.
It will be interesting to see how this will effect Scotland and Northern Ireland for instance. It seems likely that Scotland will now try to vote on Independence again and probably break up the UK and who knows what turmoil this could cause in Northern Ireland and their border with Europe.
Anyway you'll need to find that passport again, but on the plus side, welcome back duty free.

Last edited:
Personally disappointed, as regular readers may gather.
Chubbs beat me to it with the "Be careful what you wish for" comment.

Now that people have "given a kicking to the Establishment" (to quote some Leave vox pops on the radio this morning), let's see how they fare with those famed champions of the common man at the helm, Boris J, Michael G, Iain D-S and of course dear old Nigel. And who they are going to demonise next for problems in the NHS, education, housing etc when (oh what a surprise) these problems don't disappear as this govt continues to cut spending to the bone. Or how they are going to cope with a default non-stop Tory govt in the rest of the UK should Scotland decide to create a Disunited Kingdom.

Proud to have voted to stay in. Sad that not enough considered the consequences. Life goes on.

Back