• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

World Cup / Curry

Alan Riding

Too much time on my hands
Jul 31, 2013
Steve

Given the ethos of our club and the dreadful human rights record of Qatar, I would hope that many 74 fans will decide not to watch any coverage of the competition. Hence, might I suggest that we try to establish how many 74 fans would rather still go to this event rather than watch the game?

Even if it is 10 or 15 it would be a signal - however small or seemingly insignificant - that we as a club totally abhor the decision to let Qatar stage the competition?

Maybe we should make the event a fundraiser for, say, Amnesty?
Have Scotland qualified??

Disgraceful decision 10 years ago to hold it there but it is what it is and I will be following my team.

With a Welsh degree and a half Welsh daughter maybe I should watch the game. But I am with James on this, and as the game is on I doubt too many will be in BQ so I feel happier to go now! (as long as it isn't just James and me!)

Have Scotland qualified??

Disgraceful decision 10 years ago to hold it there but it is what it is and I will be following my team.
It wouldn’t have altered my decision if Scotland had qualified. And if keep on taking the view that “it is what it is” then nothing will change.

#boycotttheworldcup

Not a good decision to play the WC in Qatar but politics and sport should not be mixed. It’s not the players fault or our nations doing and at my age I don’t know how many WC’s I have left! So I will be cheering our young guns on and I would hope the country will too…including Wales.. I didn’t hear too many complaining about Russia holding the WC 4 years ago….and their record of human rights isn’t the best!!

Reactions: Ben
Not a good decision to play the WC in Qatar but politics and sport should not be mixed. It’s not the players fault or our nations doing and at my age I don’t know how many WC’s I have left! So I will be cheering our young guns on and I would hope the country will too…including Wales.. I didn’t hear too many complaining about Russia holding the WC 4 years ago….and their record of human rights isn’t the best!!
I can assure you, I and many others were completely against the 2018 finals being awarded to Russia.

And this decision - and the subsequent one to award the 2022 finals to Qatar - had everything to do with politics (and money!). To think otherwise is somewhat naive I would suggest

Back