• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

What a refreshing change (if a little frustrating)

John LILBURN

I Live Here
May 16, 2014
During the past couple of weeks I have met quite a number of 1874 fans as I wandered around Northwich doing shopping and other domestic things and the one consistent theme of our conversations was 1874 Northwich FC, its progress on and off the field and the ambition for next season and beyond.

My fellow fans expressed frustration at having no football to go to and yet excitement at the prospects for pre-season friendlies and the ambitions next season for THEIR football club and I for one understand their frustrations and yet have faith in the common sense approach displayed by the owners and the board members.

I suspect that we may have additional football fans starting to come and watch 1874 next season some of whom are fed up with the machinations and duplicity of "the other private football club" and have decided to watch 1874 knowing that "what they see is what they get" with no hidden agendas and I for one will make them very welcome as I want to share the experience, both highs and lows of OUR club.

What a refreshing change it is not having to worry about "off the field" issues of which we know nothing, have no influence or control over deciding the fate of a football club.

Last edited:
I will welcome and encourage any new comers from where ever they come from to be apart of this fantastic community club, last season was probably one of the best since I started watching football in general and didn't even need to get promoted to make me feel that way, and I for one like many others can't wait to see the boys in action again soon.

#Up1874 #UpToTheFuture

I can't believe that I am genuinely still gutted that we didn't get promotion lol but I suppose that it's good to be gutted about football matters instead of financial ones.
:scarf:

Interesting comments on the Witton Albion fans forum called "1874 and all that" beginning at the start of last season and the last comment four weeks ago.

Interesting comments on the Witton Albion fans forum called "1874 and all that" beginning at the start of last season and the last comment four weeks ago.

Good comments? ( I never read rogue forums ;))

Dismissive to start with and then gradually becoming more concerned with how successful the club is becoming and how it might effect them.

Paranoid much? Thats the problem with witton, small club mentally, constantly looking over there shoulders

I hadn't read the posts on the Witton Forum from 10 months ago. Quite interesting. I think the one thing we have witnessed over the last few months is perhaps more of a mutual respect and maturity developing between many greens and reds (me included).

But we didn't do bad, did we?............ :scarf:

I think that the one thing they fail to understand about our relationship with Cheshire West and Chester Council is the difference between our two clubs.
Our club is a co-operative, owned and run by members and taxpayers and Witton Albion FC is owned and run for the personal profit of one man much like another organisation we are all familiar with.
The legal difference between the two makes it much easier for CWAC to deal with us than them as we are not run for personal profit but as a benefit for the local Community which is a "Good thing" despite what politicians tell us!!!

Interesting thread. I think IF the boot had been on the other foot we may too have been echoing similar comments. I would however hope we'd be less complacent about recognising the possible threat and more proactive about doing something to combat it ;)

They quite logically question whether we will replicate last season (although to be honest they seem to have spent most of the thread saying the same about the last one) and obviously only time will tell. The real question for Wittoners has to be can they recover from their patchy season just gone and start getting some momentum. They all say that being the only senior team in town was their chance to build; next season has be the one that starts that ball rolling and that means the beginning of genuine "red shoots", building that fan base and no more of this (papering over the cracks) "all the family comes free" initiatives.

As for 1874. We enjoyed a great first season and will need to go all out to prove those doubters wrong ( again). We planned and worked well together and more than achieved our aims. So long as we're not complacent ( some hope!) then I'm sure we can expect more of the same :scarf: COY1874

Very interesting! When we started out, we all wanted to become the most talked about club in Northwich. I would like to offer my personal thanks to those Wi**on fans who have done their bit to help our cause!!!

Reactions: Tez
Witton may have finished a little higher up in the attendance table than 1874 but thats all thanks to the likes of FCUM and Chorley visiting fans increasing their average.

Fact is 1874 attracted more 'home' fans last season than Witton did, long may that statistic continue.:)

http://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/global/attendances/

Reactions: Tez
Makes you wonder how much better the figures might have looked if we had just one "reformed" club with a traditionally strong following that we could benefit from entertaining. ;)

Obviously Witton had a poor season on the field which was probably at odds with fan expectations, whereas we were both new and successful at NWCL level, and of course crowd numbers will have reflected this to some extent. Fingers crossed we can start the new season with the same levels of interest that we finished the last campaign with and kick on from there; no reason why we shouldn't either! :scarf:

Back