• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

WD&C Match

Andy

Too much time on my hands
Politics 5
Jul 28, 2013
Funny game today. Very close first half ended in a shambolic bit of refereeing that threatened to ruin the game. But came out the second half and controlled the game.

Biggest difference between this season and last season is the fact that we keep grinding out results like linnets have for years. A lot of determination.

Don't like mentioning referees because they're at this level for a reason, but today was unexcusable, the game was too big for him, maybe he should referee a game he can manage, maybe u11s somewhere

Wow!

A 'game of two halves' - Greg absolutely superb in the first half, we could have gone in 3 down at HT... and then second half don't remember him making a save!!

Never any doubt that we would score, but boy did we leave it late!! Great job Rick!! :D

Absolutely bossed the second half, WD&C I feel were holding out for a draw and they tired dramatically as the game went on, but well done to the lads for playing right to the end.... another tough game and 3pts!!

Not going to mention the sending offs... other than I thought both were self induced (Sam Hare and Streety) and both were very avoidable......was Sam's a straight red?

Final point, I thought the officials were the worst I have seen at this level; completely clueless and make some blindingly ridiculous decisions (for both teams)... but I guess that's what you get at this level.....

Onto Tuesday for another nail biter!!

The team now has unbelievable determination to keep going and to get a result, in the past we would have fallen apart after getting a player sent off but we kept going and got the result today so well done to the lads.

When the Ref calls for you to approach him after giving you a yellow card and you ignore him five times you must expect discipline and this is what Sam Hare got, rather silly of him !.

Don't know what Street y went for though !!.

But surely that should have been two yellows for Sam & not a straight red? Stupid on his part for giving the ref the chance to change his decision.

As for the game very similar to Hanley - could have been well behind but for Greg and then a late winner.
Played much better second half but still not really gelling as a team.

Sounds like I missed an eventful game today! Never mind the next 5 games fall nicely... Green army

Well done to the lads kept going to the end and deserved the goal
Ref was shocking it has to be said
Really good following as well
See you all Tuesday

In defence of Streety I must add that he did not swear whatsoever at the ref. Steve Settle (WD&C manager) told him to eff off in second half and was told it was his final warning.

Once again no consistency in making decisions. If he had got a grip of the first half debacle he could have calmed the situation dished out a yellow each and got on with the game.

I know someone before, on this thread, has said that refs (like players) generally speaking, are at this level for a reason, but I don't think it should be worth too much asking for better. The ref and one of the linesmen, weren't good and that's being polite. In fairness the other linesman was fine.

Anyway, classic case of game of two halves. We're lucky to be still 0-0 at half time, Greg made sure that was the case, some good saves in there which kept us in it. Second half was different story, as said before, Greg didn't have a save to make, while we created chances and should have done better with one or two of them. On that basis, a draw would be a fair result and it probably would've been, but at the same time if you can't convert your chances, you can also say you didn't deserve to win.

Who cares, we're top of the league!! :scarf::scarf:

The league website has Sam Hare down as being straight red carded and their player as being shown two yellows...is that correct?

I thought I saw their player get a yellow for the foul and then a red for the handbags. Didn't look like the ref gave him two yellows to me.

Jack, yes it is true (I think). Their chap got the first for the foul and the second for retaliation after Hare pushed him (not very hard, and not in the face). Hare for continuing to ignore the ref as stated above. Ian went for pointing out (repeatedly) to the ref that the push was not a red card incident.
Just thinking back all those years to when I reffed rugby (badly) there were times when I knew I was having a bad game but could do nothing about it - and there were others I had blinders and got lousy marks all the same from the 2 clubs. Never worried if I got them from both sides - at least I was being even handed. Yes, the ref had a shocker yesterday in my eyes but he reffed us at Runcorn Town and I don't remember too many complaints about him there (I am going to be proved wrong I am sure!). As a ref you get a lot of abuse (esp from me) and little in the way of thanks so not a lot of people want to do it. Without them we would get no games so we need to remember that occasionally. As for the liners, the one on the left hand side (looking from the clubhouse) got a lot of moaning from both benches but he did at least try to explain his decisions or why he missed stuff. Quite a refreshing change from those who will say nothing!

Jack, yes it is true (I think). Their chap got the first for the foul and the second for retaliation after Hare pushed him (not very hard, and not in the face). Hare for continuing to ignore the ref as stated above. Ian went for pointing out (repeatedly) to the ref that the push was not a red card incident.
Just thinking back all those years to when I reffed rugby (badly) there were times when I knew I was having a bad game but could do nothing about it - and there were others I had blinders and got lousy marks all the same from the 2 clubs. Never worried if I got them from both sides - at least I was being even handed. Yes, the ref had a shocker yesterday in my eyes but he reffed us at Runcorn Town and I don't remember too many complaints about him there (I am going to be proved wrong I am sure!). As a ref you get a lot of abuse (esp from me) and little in the way of thanks so not a lot of people want to do it. Without them we would get no games so we need to remember that occasionally. As for the liners, the one on the left hand side (looking from the clubhouse) got a lot of moaning from both benches but he did at least try to explain his decisions or why he missed stuff. Quite a refreshing change from those who will say nothing!
You were lucky Richard. The linesman, with as much grey hair as me, ignored numerous blatant holding offences in the 1st half, usually against Tom Bailey. Absolutely zilch explanation given to us by him, probably because he knew he was in the wrong. With regard to the ref, I spoke to him before the game as the players were coming out of the dressing room - he seemed to know quite a few of the West team by their 1st name. Not saying he was biased, but he seemed to get the main decision wrong. The West player was rightly booked for his challenge and then seemed to want to head butt Sam Hare for which I thought he received a straight red. Hare's reaction to the latter was to push away the aggressor, a natural reaction in my view and certainly not worth a straight red, If the ref was the same as at Runcorn Town that game should have been 10 against 11 after about 5 minutes following a dreadful tackle by Town's right back on Matt Woolley if my memory is correct.

Excellent three points yesterday against a decent side. It was certainly a case of a game of two halves. In the first half, WD&C had the better of it and if it wasn't for some top saves from Greg, we could have been going in at half time a few goals down.

However, the second half was totally different and we dominated possesion and had the better chances. Yet again, the team showed the type of grit, determination and belief to fight to the end that we haven't seen in previous seasons. On that basis, we we were deserved winners and showed exactly the kind of qualities needed to win this league. Another big well done to the lads and management.

Back