• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Tonights match

Jack Owen

Too much time on my hands
Aug 4, 2013
Score at Alder Street currently:

Oldham Boro 0-5 Nelson

Not a lot to say about that...

It's really no surprise, with the money Nelson have I can't see how they wont win the league.

112 goals and counting. More than double our goal tally!

Correct Ben and have you also noticed that we have conceded nearly half as many goals as them?

Reactions: Ben
True, Brian -worth noting we also have the best defensive record in the league by a clear five goals. Hope to see you tomorrow, been a while!

And if Nelson slip up once either us or Formby can overtake them!

Surely league like ours should be means tested, Nelson don't get 50 some games but can spend so much on wages, surely going lead to financial problems?

Indeed, nobody knows, but it is a fairly widespread assumption that Nelson have "invested in promotion", to use a good euphemism, as some of their dealings in the transfer market would seem to imply. I'm not complaining, it's entirely up to them, we can only hope that they have a business plan based on eventual sustainability, since we know only too well what happens to clubs who stretch themselves to breaking point. That would be a shame for their 50-odd fans. What surprises me most is that given their position and their free-scoring record they are not attracting higher attendances.

How do you know what Nelson are spending on wages?

We don't, but you did post on here a few months ago that an individual(s) were digging into their own pocket to help meet the cost of players such as Allen and Wright? A lack of concrete information regarding wage bills (including your own team I might add) didn't stop you suggesting our wage budget was higher than yours a few months ago?

Its obvious, you don't completely destroy teams every single game with a small budget, its the same in all the leagues, this is just my opinion, and I was just stating about a possible means tested system, don't want anything financially bad to happen to a nice well run club.

Jack, clubs that want to 'buy' success (short term, unsustainable) will always find ways around any sanctions / means testing that were put in place.... I am much more comfortable with a budget that is managed and spent effectively for the good of the club, not overspending for a short term gain in the hope that it will continue.....

Anyway, looking forward to the game tonight, hoping for another win

Lets not speculate on what other clubs are doing. It is there choice, and perogative. Believe me, many in this league hold a similiar opinion of ourselves.
What is important is what we do, both on and off the field. Our own destiny we can control, others we cannot.

Our own destiny we can control, others we cannot.

And that is what we need to be so greatful for. Others don't know the important of this, and may never know. But we do. The best decision we ever made.

Back