• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Matty Birchall

Ben

Too much time on my hands
Politics 5
Jul 28, 2013
Ramsbottom have tweeted that they have signed him.

Wonder if well be announcing anyone before Chase.
Squad is looking very thin...
Scored a good number of goals for Vics, but clearly not up to NPL standard. Too lightweight and his passing was awful.

So no major loss, but yes, leaves an already paper thin squad looking even more threadbare- unless we get a few of our injured players back of course!👍

Shame we never saw him play up top with Max in a two man attack. Prolific forwards are hard to find, even more so with our constraints financially and being bottom of the league. I just hope this is a case of one out and three or four coming in. I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two more leave, Nicholson muttered as he was walking off the other night, that he was 'Out of here'.

Birchall isn’t a massive loss to the squad, I don’t think he contributed much in all honesty. I agree with badger, it would have been good to see a formation with 2 up top but that is looking less and less likely now. Hopefully DC has some more players up his sleeve, some of the signings he’s brought in have been a big boost to the team. And McCann was a great acquisition by Matt and Jonah. All that said though, the lack of or poor recruitment from the previous management has left the squad in the state it is in. If we do go down this year, it’s on their heads on not DC’s. The injuries we have couldn’t have been predicted and at possibly the worst time for the club too, keep the faith Greens.

All that said though, the lack of or poor recruitment from the previous management has left the squad in the state it is in. If we do go down this year, it’s on their heads on not DC’s.

After the Widnes game, we had won 4/6. We then lost two games in Leek & Clitheroe that we were probably expected to lose.
We'd taken 12 points from 24 (Won 4, Lost 4). Despite the inconsistency, we were still picking up points.

I think it's very unfair to continue blaming the previous managers when they have now been gone for over 2 months and we are yet to win again since Widnes.

Shame about Birchall as he is a proven goalscorer played in the right position but heard a few things about his character and its all about the money.

He's had a few clubs now and I just feel he's lost his passion but perhaps this league is too good for him and certainly wouldn't get in the Witton team

think it's very unfair to continue blaming the previous managers when they have now been gone for over 2 months and we are yet to win again since Widnes.
08/11 - Gobo step down.
09/12 - DC appointed.

On the interim part in between, over a month. We can write off as we can’t put that on Matt/Jonah - zero expectations and we couldn’t expect them to recruit in that time as any new manager would want to come in and assess what they’ve been left with (yes, they added Chris..)

So, Damian has been in the job a little over a month. He’s had to come in, assess his current playing squad (wasn’t good enough at the time, we all know that), high number of injuries to deal with (as stated couldn’t predict), all while having to give these lads a chance to prove themselves, he’s always going to naturally want to bring his own players in accordingly. And his recruitment so far, I think has been great.

You cant expect him to come straight in with a new squad of 16 and cull the entire squad he was left with within a month? - the lack of depth and quality he’s been left with is directly the previous managers’ fault, nobody else’s. They had the back end of last season and pre season to plan and recruit, and it was poor. No recognised striker for the back half of the season, that should have been a priority in the summer, did we get one in the summer? No. While others may disagree, I think it is completely fair to put blame on them and should we go down this season, a large proportion of said blame, can only be accounted to them.

On Matty, it’s a shame we never got to see him in a forward 2 or more advanced and I wish him the best.

After the Widnes game, we had won 4/6. We then lost two games in Leek & Clitheroe that we were probably expected to lose.
We'd taken 12 points from 24 (Won 4, Lost 4). Despite the inconsistency, we were still picking up points.

I think it's very unfair to continue blaming the previous managers when they have now been gone for over 2 months and we are yet to win again since Widnes.
The inconsistencies that carries over from the previous season, the lack of recruitment and replacing of key players that we lost. Up until GoBo left we had Irlam and Green, who between them had scored 5 of our goals this season. Both left under GoBo’s stewardship, and adequate striker wasn’t brought in, Max didn’t threaten the opposition at all when playing as a striker, we had no outlet like we Dior when we had irlam. Ultimately DC has been left with a sub standard squad, bereft of confidence and full of injuries and you expect him to pull results out of his backside immediately? It just doesn’t happen like that, anyone with an ounce of footballing knowledge can see the performances overall have improved and with the players brought in by DC that have improved the squad have given us that little bit of hope that we may be able to survive this season. We look to have a little bit of threat going forward now instead of having nothing at all. You have bare in mind, DC has had this job for a month and in that time he’s had suspensions to deal with, injuries to key players but what I’m sure of is he is actively trying to improve the squad in both ability and performance. If players don’t want to be at the club going back to badgers comment about Jamie Nicholson, don’t be here, go somewhere else. I want players who are going to fight for the club, fight for the badge. End of, I don’t care if they fit the club ethos, if they perform and they put their bodies on the line, get them in. Get a real squad unity going where the lads will fight for each other.

I'll just be repeating my thoughts on it now if I reply in detail. There's an essay of my thoughts in the Vics thread.

It's football, we're allowed to disagree on things, no hard feelings.

Scored a good number of goals for Vics, but clearly not up to NPL standard. Too lightweight and his passing was awful.

So no major loss, but yes, leaves an already paper thin squad looking even more threadbare- unless we get a few of our injured players back of course!👍
I personally think that is down to being played out of position, since we brought him in he was playing either on the wing or a very deep 10 and imo it was obvious that he should have been our number 9 with Max playing just behind or alongside him at 10, I think Matty is another in a fairly long list of players that we have wasted and not got the best out of because we don't play to their strengths

One of our better players I thought this season tbh
Disagree, Josh. Jamal offered no end product, either with assists or goals. He had a tenancy to be knocked off the ball too easily. He was no where near as good as some wingers that we have had in the past. No great loss in my opinion.

I don’t think Jamal is any great loss either. He was a little lightweight, had no end product and yes a bit of a journeyman with the number of clubs he’s been at.

I think it’s a good thing that we’re seeing players move on. As others have said, many of the squad is not good enough and that is reflected in our league position. Slowly but surely Damian is building his own team with the likes of Fagan, Bianga and the new forward Chakwana coming in.

I don’t think Jamal is any great loss either. He was a little lightweight, had no end product and yes a bit of a journeyman with the number of clubs he’s been at.

I think it’s a good thing that we’re seeing players move on. As others have said, many of the squad is not good enough and that is reflected in our league position. Slowly but surely Damian is building his own team with the likes of Fagan, Bianga and the new forward Chakwana coming in.
Problem is that by the time he's been able to do that we're likely going to be in the midlands league and then we're probably then going to have to do another rebuild because players won't be able to commit to the travel so we'll probably need more midlands based players

Back