• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Class Of 92 Out Of Their League

matthew james hardy

Too much time on my hands
Aug 14, 2013
Did anybody catch the documentary on Salford City FC tonight but I thought they made abit of a mockery on non league football tonight and completely overlooked the hard work and volunteering efforts at hundreds of similar clubs shame non league only gets strong media coverage in this way lost abit of respect for them as people but not what they did on the pitch.

Agree that it didn't show non league in a good light. Did show some hard working volunteers though. For the league above us though the players were on a fair bit of money weren't they.
Wouldn't want this to happen to us. It wouldn't anyway as we are fans run.

The way it started with all the bimbly brass band music and shots of the worst parts of Salford's ground I thought it was a documentary on Barnstoneworth United (one for the oldies, the ones who remember Phil Power with a full head of hair!). Typical documentary of its type, focusing on all the worst elements in order to make it supposedly worth watching. Not sure why the big five with a probable combined wealth of £100m need a foreign investor to gain promotion from Step 4 of the pyramid, even if they are throwing £400 per week at the lump that is Gareth Seddon.

The way it started with all the bimbly brass band music and shots of the worst parts of Salford's ground I thought it was a documentary on Barnstoneworth United (one for the oldies, the ones who remember Phil Power with a full head of hair!).

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Probably the best film about non-league football ever made. For Gordon read James Wood especially when he reels off all the championship winning sides!!

From what I saw of the program last night it came across to me that they just don't have a very good grasp of non league football and that it takes hard work and dedication from so many volunteers in order to be successful, I do however think that the class of 92 will do well for Salford as they do care very much about the area and want to give something back to where they grew up.

Well, I must be in the minority, I enjoyed it. There were reguar chats with the committee chair women. It showed the volunteers serving refreshments, building toilet blocks and manning the gates.
Don't forget this was last season and they all were learning their roles. They did achieve promotion and are now sitting well in the premier.
Roll on the 2nd installment next week.

I thought it was good as well. Agreed they didn't have a lot of understanding of non league at the beginning (how could they, never been in it!) but they were trying and adapting and aware of the roles of volunteers by the end. Credit to them.

Personally, I'd rather they took over a non-league club as opposed to what Beckham is doing setting up a team in Miami because in a way, they're staying with where they come from, granted they and Salford aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I'd rather they do that, than flash their cash abroad.

Just watched it and quite enjoyed it. Once they adapted to the reality of NL life. they seemed to grow into their roles (particularly the 2 Nevilles) and also clearly respected the contributions of the volunteers behind the scenes - and seemed to have those backroom folk featured in the programme onside with their approach by the end. I think they deserve credit for putting something back into a local club - of course things are bound to change when you get new owners, but there are also parts of the club that they obviously don't want to change - even if it's only the concrete slab to stand on while watching! We all have our favourite spot. I can remember mine at the Drill Field, and how irritated I was if I ever had to stand anywhere else. ;)

Good focus on volunteer spirit and effort in part 2, I thought. Quite an effective build-up to tomorrow's TV FACup game from BBC point of view too!

Back