• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Bournemouth Promoted To Premier League

matthew james hardy

Too much time on my hands
Aug 14, 2013
From the brink of going out of business what an incredible achievement by Bournemouth and one best English managers in Eddie Howe

A remarkable rise. Well done to Bournemouth.

Keeping my head down ... lived here 25 years and still never seen a game at Dean Court :(

But yes, it is remarkable (though they have profited from a large investment injection ...). Just a shame that Poole narrowly missed out on their own automatic promotion on Saturday to complement Dorset's emergence into the big time

Is this the same Bournemouth that is owned by mysterious & 'interesting' Maxim Demin?
Surely as a smaller fish we have been there!

They are not the smallest population wise (I think that honour goes to Burnley @81,000) but the smallest ground by a long way only 11,700 capacity at Dean Court.

Probably not such welcome news to those down the road at Tatnam though.

They got over 2000 for their championship decider with Corby at the weekend (though how half of them saw any of the action on the pitch is beyond me). Play offs tonight v St Neots ...

Most people on their forum seem in a grudgingly congratulatory mood - it's not quite the same rivalry when you are that many leagues apart!

They will need to do some serious upgrade work on that Tatnam ground if they get promoted. I can't work out what they can really develop, though, it being little more than a corner of the school field. And they don't get much social club income as the council will only allow them to open before and after matches. Not sure what state of being mothballed the plans to move to a proper stadium are in, it's all a bit shrouded in mystery.

Speaking of mysteries, there's more than just Maxim Demin ... ex Bournemouth owner Eddie Mitchell, having fallen out with Dean Court, is still rumoured to have an interest in getting involved with Poole.

And finally ... interesting but useless piece of information #539 ... AFC Bournemouth are affliliated to Hampshire FA rather than Dorset FA, a throwback to the early 70s when Bournemouth was part of Hampshire before local govt reorganisation. So Dorset is still technically a footballing backwater.

Interesting game in prospect tonight most certainly. Missed out on automatic promotion on Saturday by failing to avoid defeat. Predict a nervy encounter this evening which may well go right to the wire.

0-0 HT, att 841 (if BB v JR can get a mention ... ;))

0-1 to St Neots full time. No promotion party in Dorset ...

They got over 2000 for their championship decider with Corby at the weekend (though how half of them saw any of the action on the pitch is beyond me). Play offs tonight v St Neots ...

And finally ... interesting but useless piece of information #539 ... AFC Bournemouth are affliliated to Hampshire FA rather than Dorset FA, a throwback to the early 70s when Bournemouth was part of Hampshire before local govt reorganisation. So Dorset is still technically a footballing backwater.

Not unusual this Alan as the Cheshire Senior Cup - and most other similar competitions - demonstrate.

Indeed, without trying too hard I can think of 8 clubs that compete in the CSC that aren't based in the 'current' bastardised Cheshire Councils (the awfully named CWaC and Cheshire East).

List as follows:

Altrincham - Trafford
Stalybridge and Hyde - Tameside
Stockport County, Chealde Town - Stockport
Tranmere, Cammel Lairds - Wirral
Warrington - Warrington
Runcorn Linnets - Halton

But other clubs based in these councils play in other Senior Cup competitions - i.e. Trafford compete in the Manchester Premier Cup

I also well remember the time that Vics competed in the Staffs Senior Cup. Indeed, of the five (!) times they reached the final, on 3 occasions they played sides based outside of Staffordshire! (78/79 Kidderminster, 89/90 Macclesfield and 90/91 Redditch). Other finals were v Leek (79/80) and Stafford (86/87).

I say bring back the old County Palatine of Cheshire that stretched from West Kirby on the Wirral to Tintwistle on the Yorkshire border!!

0-1 to St Neots full time. No promotion party in Dorset ...

Namesake hits the target and spears the Dolphins. Terrible way for them to finish the season, but only themselves to blame. Another point somewhere in the season and they'd have been champions instead of losing play-off semi finalists.

AF you missed out Chester FC - North Wales (depending which way they're attacking at the time) :D

Back