• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Best away 'experience'

Atticus Finch

Legend
Aug 2, 2013
I know that we've got one more away game to go this year, but we wnet to Burscough earlier in the season. So having now visited all 18 First Division grounds, what was your favourite? And who did the best food?

I have a soft spot for both Daisy Hill and Atherton Colls grounds although I was also impressed with Darwen and Nelson's homes, particuarly the latter with its characterful stand and backdrop of terraced houses.

As far as food is concerned, Chaddy's home-made pie and red cabbage took some beating, although Darwen's sausage bap ran it a very close second.

Have to agree with Chadderton's home made pie!

A grand day out was had at Holker and on the journey to and from!

But overall for friendliness and welcoming people I don't think I can get away from the night at Eccleshall. If we do stay in this league next year it's got to be a Saturday!

i got to two away games this year, the best one for me was Lostock, the sense of genuine excitment sat in the greyhound then walking through the carpark in a sea of grren that no one could have predicted before the game, reading our special brouchure and getting a real sense of achievement for our board to get that far. then the real dissapointment at going 1 down but then realising that it was football and polilitics for the first time in a few years that caused that disspaointment. then the release that came with anthony marshalls first ever goal for 1874 and i knew we had arrived. in terms of our season that game wasnt as significant as widnes away and going top in the year or what saturday away at fomrby will be, but even when iv been away with england to cardiff and berlin that trip to lostock was special

Same here Tim, not been to many away matches but Eccleshall sticks in my mind as the perfect community ground. Good sized club house, outstanding welcome and service but the pitch...... wow amazing, like a snooker table. A great set up.

Although there's been a few decent away trips which will live long in my memory such as our very first game away at Lostock Gralam, the pre match excitement, getting our first goal, meeting new people and the players, and getting our first win as a football club. and our first competitive victory away at Daisy Hill.

But my personal favorite has to be Eccleshall, even though it took us a while to find the ground I thought it was the most friendliest clubs I have visited since I started going to football matches, very nice people, decent little ground, good clubhouse and beer/pies. and a good victory to top it off. Hopefully if we are top stay in this league next season's match will be on a Saturday because when we were going through the town it looked really nice with a few decent pubs around.

Squires Gate our best away result,even though the bus broke down.

I know it was only a pre season friendly game, well it was when I went I didn't go to the Mid Cheshire cup game I liked Congleton Town, very smart tidy little ground with decent people there and a great clubhouse.

For what it's worth I like Ashton Town - a 5 mile round-trip for me and much easier than my 56 mile round-trip to our "home" games! But seriously, whilst I definitely agree with the views already expressed re Eccleshall I think that all the clubs we have visited have been friendly and welcoming. At Chadderton I actually followed their chairman to the ground(very helpful) after we had both been collecting kit items from our kit supplier. Then before the game during and after he was an all round good bloke and we have met quite a few like that this season...... long may it continue

Not been to many away games but I thought both Eccleshall and Darwen had great set-ups, and the late win at Daisy Hill stood out as the most enjoyable away trip for me.

Very hard to pick one out, as all away days have been great. All Clubs have been welcoming and I have enjoyed my travels. I've had the pleasure to meet some fantastic people, who work hard for their Club. And we have taken in some lovely grounds and brought back ideas for our own (when the time comes!)

Loved Lostock for obvious reasons.
Enjoyed Prestatyn, probably a day at the seaside with cider helped! :D :confused:
Widnes is a special place, first honour.
Daisy Hill, first League victory and an Adam Foy hug :happy
Fantastic day to Holker, the whole 'away day' experience took me back to the 'good old days'. :scarf:
And loved Eccleshall, the ground, the people and the best damn brew anywhere (apart from my husband's!) :joyful

It's been amazing :scarf:

Didn't make Holker away, the pie at Chadderton was worth the admission fee alone nevermind the football.

I have to say I enjoyed Darwen most, great little set up.

There have been some brilliant away days this year, I would enjoy doing them all again next year!

Two highlights stand out. The first game at Lostock was incredible. Being in the Slow and Easy to start with, watching people slowly trickle in, dressed in green shirts, scarves, jackets, etc. That really brought home that we had tapped into something. Seeing so many old faces was brilliant and was an absolute confirmation that what we were doing was the right thing.

As far as league away days go, like many before me have mentioned, Eccleshall was brilliant. They were a wonderful, welcoming group of people. The ground was brilliantly maintained and looked after, the stands were nice, the clubhouse was great and you could have played Bowls on the pitch! The result topped it off but I think everybody left Eccleshall feeling that they would love to go back.

Other good Away days include: Rochdale (despite the result!), I really like that place. The pitch was a mess but the ground had bags of character and the bar was nice too. the New Years(ish) game at Widnes wielded a brilliant result, Nelson (despite the result, again) was great, the stand was very impressive for this level and provided great cover from the rain that day. Having the houses line the pitch on the other side reminded me a bit of Marine. I liked Squires Gate, I thought that they had a really good set-up there. Luckily I drove myself there!

Whatever league we're in next season, I don't care! I would love to go up, but equally would relish the opportunity to visit Holker and Chadderton, two popular venues that I couldn't make this year.

Back