• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Barton Stadium

Tony1874

Too much time on my hands
Aug 1, 2013
Never known a winter like this, especially from a football perspective, can't remember the last home match I attended....

Anyway with those thought's in mind, I was wondering what the possibility is for improving the pitch drainage to provide a suitable playing surface.

If the back log of matches continues to build up we'll be playing 3 matches a week to catch up or will the FA/League authorise an extention?
Either way any possible renovation of the pitch would have to take place at the start of closed season, would we be pushing a completion before the start of next season?
How long would it take to dig and channel herring bone drainage, level and reseed?
How much would it cost?
If 1874 and Winsford contributed to the cost would the Football Foundation offer a grant?

Any ideas?

Never known a winter like this, especially from a football perspective, can't remember the last home match I attended....

Anyway with those thought's in mind, I was wondering what the possibility is for improving the pitch drainage to provide a suitable playing surface.

If the back log of matches continues to build up we'll be playing 3 matches a week to catch up or will the FA/League authorise an extention?
Either way any possible renovation of the pitch would have to take place at the start of closed season, would we be pushing a completion before the start of next season?
How long would it take to dig and channel herring bone drainage, level and reseed?
How much would it cost?
If 1874 and Winsford contributed to the cost would the Football Foundation offer a grant?

Any ideas?
I should imagine that the league would consider an extension, most players in this league have to fit their matches around shifts at work or other various arrangements, I believe the Evo-Stik was extended last year, looking at the number of postponed matches our league has seen, it would be the right idea in my opinion to extend the league season to be able to fit in all the remaining fixtures, plus if they are played on a Saturday, clubs will benefit from higher attendances than if they were playing on a Tuesday night.

As for a renovation on the pitch, would it be wise to spend, which will probably be a large sum of money, on a ground in which we won't be staying at for a long time, however I do think work is vital on the pitch as it is in a terrible state and for as long as I remember this happens every Winter at the Barton Stadium, so maybe take a look at possible grants.

As for a renovation on the pitch, would it be wise to spend, which will probably be a large sum of money, on a ground in which we won't be staying at for a long time, however I do think work is vital on the pitch as it is in a terrible state and for as long as I remember this happens every Winter at the Barton Stadium, so maybe take a look at possible grants.

Might want to keep in mind that, once we leave the Barton Stadium, there's still going to be Winsford United playing there, whilst it might benefit us for the short term, it will benefit Winsford in the long term and can save them from losing money as a result of having fewer matches called off. If us and Winsford did contribute some money and get a grant of the Football Foundation like what Tony has said, then I think Winsford would be very pleased with that. Obviously the amount of needed is quite high, so it does seem unlikely.

I think Tony and both Jack's make some good points here, and I can sympathise with both sides of the debate. In terms of an extension to the season, I think it is fast becoming a problem for the NWCL. If they want to keep to keep the integrity of the competition intact and not have it descend into a farcical situation where clubs are playing two (or possibly more?) midweek games toward the back end of Spring, they'll have very little choice. Clubs such as Holker OB, Leek and Eccleshall look to be well behind schedule, with Darwen, Ashton, Rochdale and even Hanley ( don't get me started on the Staffs FA's ludicrous insistence on scheduling a Senior Cup game at the weekend!) are not that far behind. Wet weather, ground sharing and weekend cup ties (two legged semi-finals!! Good grief!!) are all factors not helping things of course.

As to the situation at the Stadia de Barton and further pitch improvements, well this is a difficult one. I agree in part with Tony in that if we were in a position both from a financial and a manpower perspective to be proactive and shorten the odds on us (and Winsford) of revisiting the same scenario next season, then we should give it serious consideration. Certainly it would be helpful if we could tap into any grants which are perhaps available (no idea if there are any available even) or if there was any local businesses out there who would be prepared to lessen the the load practically or financially? Jack H raises a valid point too, that financially we're in a bit of a quandary; do we spend what could be large chunks of cash on maintaining facilities which aren't ours at the expense of furthering our own ambitions of eventually finding a home of our own? This question of course could also apply to aspects of the terracing ( bringing it closer to pitch side behind the respective goals perhaps, amongst other things?) as well as the pitch itself? If we only plan to stay for three seasons, we'd be making long term improvements which ultimately we'd only benefit from in the short term, BUT what if circumstances dictate we need to stay longer (can't deny it might be a possibility in my opinion). Could it be also argued that by making these improvements in the short term, in doing so we bolster our long term playing ambitions regardless of whether we move on after another two seasons? It's by no means a black or white argument.

Anyone able to come up with a ball park figure of what the pitch improvements might cost; that at least would be a starting point for future debate amongst the membership? Is it possible the council could chip in, after all they do own the land don't they? ..... And they should hopefully have some cash left over from their compensation from the sale of the VS they could surely spare?

Last edited:
Just as an aside, what are the chances currently of Winsford staging their home game tomorrow? And if they do manage to, I wonder what state the pitch will be like by the 15th, with more rain forecast next week, according to the BBC?

Not going to matter this season and hopefully it wont be a issue next but no need for a cup just for this league, one cup for the North West Counties would be fine. Maybe even just one Cheshire cup as well.

I think Tony and both Jack's make some good points here, and I can sympathise with both sides of the debate. In terms of an extension to the season, I think it is fast becoming a problem for the NWCL. If they want to keep to keep the integrity of the competition intact and not have it descend into a farcical situation where clubs are playing two (or possibly more?) midweek games toward the back end of Spring, they'll have very little choice. Clubs such as Holker OB, Leek and Eccleshall look to be well behind schedule, with Darwen, Ashton, Rochdale and even Hanley ( don't get me started on the Staffs FA's ludicrous insistence on scheduling a Senior Cup game at the weekend!) are not that far behind. Wet weather, ground sharing and weekend cup ties (two legged semi-finals!! Good grief!!) are all factors not helping things of course.

As to the situation at the Stadia de Barton and further pitch improvements, well this is a difficult one. I agree in part with Tony in that if we were in a position both from a financial and a manpower perspective to be proactive and shorten the odds on us (and Winsford) of revisiting the same scenario next season, then we should give it serious consideration. Certainly it would be helpful if we could tap into any grants which are perhaps available (no idea if there are any available even) or if there was any local businesses out there who would be prepared to lessen the the load practically or financially? Jack H raises a valid point too, that financially we're in a bit of a quandary; do we spend what could be large chunks of cash on maintaining facilities which aren't ours at the expense of furthering our own ambitions of eventually finding a home of our own? This question of course could also apply to aspects of the terracing ( bringing it closer to pitch side behind the respective goals perhaps, amongst other things?) as well as the pitch itself? If we only plan to stay for three seasons, we'd be making long term improvements which ultimately we'd only benefit from in the short term, BUT what if circumstances dictate we need to stay longer (can't deny it might be a possibility in my opinion). Could it be also argued that by making these improvements in the short term, in doing so we bolster our long term playing ambitions regardless of whether we move on after another two seasons? It's by no means a black or white argument.

Anyone able to come up with a ball park figure of what the pitch improvements might cost; that at least would be a starting point for future debate amongst the membership? Is it possible the council could chip in, after all they do own the land don't they? ..... And they should hopefully have some cash left over from their compensation from the sale of the VS they could surely spare?

Some good points on either side of the debate. FYI, we've already had discussions with WUFC re the pitch and what we might be able to do to it in order to improve its condition next season and we've also had a professional groundsman inspect it and provide us with some advice and we're expecting some ball-park estimates soon. Whether we should use some of our funds to improve another clubs asset is an interesting point, particuarly if were were only likely to gain one or two years benefit from such an investment. But this is a decision that need not be made now - we have a few more months to discuss matters with WUFC and decide our stance. As far as grants are concerned, my understaning is that there is little or no financial support you can get to improve playing surfaces. These are mainky available for improving other facilities such as changing rooms, floodlights, spectator accomodation etc. As for 'the Council' providing funding, which council would we be talking about? CWAC or Winsford Town Council (who I think are the owners of the BS). In the current climate where most councils are severely strapped for cash, I don't think that improving the playing surface at the BS will come anywhere near being a high priority. Last but not least comes the question of whether the season will be extended. The NWCFL Managemeent Committee are constantly monitoring the situation (I know this because I talked to come at the Formby game last weekend!) and I suspect that if the poor weather continues for another week or more and further postponements occur this will be an option that they will be seriously considering. As Tez says, they have as much an interest to keep the integrity of the competition intact so I'm sure that they will be doing whatever they can to ensure that all clubs are treated fairly

Back