• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

BARTON STADIUM/FUTURE

Nigel

Legend
5 5
Jul 31, 2013
I have read quite a few posts over the last few weeks and spoke to a fair few fans. This is my opinion of what I think we should do.

Due to the obvious fact that it will be probably 5-10 years before we own/share a ground, it makes sense to stay at Winsford until then. It is a dangerous game to ground hop as all of a sudden you could end up without anywhere to play.

I appreciate the playing surface needs help but if we do commit to a long term deal then we would obviously help Winsford to do whatever it takes to improve the surface to a much higher level.

I personally fully appreciate the deal we have with them which I know works in their favour as well as ours but also makes excellent financial sense for us too.

So I say, stay and help each other out. We have a good friend there, lets keep it that way!

we would obviously help Winsford to do whatever it takes to improve the surface to a much higher level.

Winsford have played football on that pitch for over 125 years, so why would ws expect they want to improve it now?

It would cost many thousands of pounds, more than either party have.

As suggested any improvements should be ones that can be taken away and used in our own stadium in the distant future.

It's a balancing act. A better pitch with less postponements will benefit the club financially. what if we said to Winsford on a 5 year deal, lower the rent and we'll do work on the pitch?

Agree with the general direction of the opening post. Are there any funding pots which could be accessed for pitch improvement?

Winsford have played football on that pitch for over 125 years, so why would ws expect they want to improve it now?

It would cost many thousands of pounds, more than either party have.

As suggested any improvements should be ones that can be taken away and used in our own stadium in the distant future.

If we were leaving in 12 months I would be inclined to agree - but that is not going to happen. I am not saying "Let`s raise 50K for a new surface" but, if, and I think we should, make it our only home until we move into our own place, then it is worth spending a few quid to improve things.

Money has already been spent in an attempt to improve the pitch, the only way to resolve the situation is to rebuild from scratch and no one has the finances.
Very frustrating for all but we have just got to accept the situation, get on with it and continue to put all our resources into BIN.
11 matches in the NWCPL today and 6 of them have been postponed

IF we were to provide any significant funding with the intention of staying beyond the present agreement, then the club should require some sort of stake at the BS; reduced rent, rent free or possibly more realistically, a share of the refreshment revenue perhaps? Put into context, if 1874 were a house tenant, you would expect them to maintain general up keep but not install a new central heating system and double glazing throughout. If we are to make improvements above and beyond what is generally agreed reasonable, which ultimately benefit the landlord, then some sort of payback is merited surely?

IF we were to provide any significant funding with the intention of staying beyond the present agreement, then the club should require some sort of stake at the BS; reduced rent, rent free or possibly more realistically, a share of the refreshment revenue perhaps? Put into context, if 1874 were a house tenant, you would expect them to maintain general up keep but not install a new central heating system and double glazing throughout. If we are to make improvements above and beyond what is generally agreed reasonable, which ultimately benefit the landlord, then some sort of payback is merited surely?

The playing surface is obviously a cause for concern to all, BUT !, I am sure the Management have these concerns in mind at all times so we have to leave it to them to seek the remedy. I am sure that the solution will come about soonest !.

Frank, I don't think anyone is questioning whether the Board are not wondering what to do about this. People are merely expressing their own views on the situation (partly, I suspect, in the absence of football to talk about), as befits a forum like this. It is healthy open debate on a matter of some significance. Gone are the days (I hope) when the fans (particularly those with a stake in the business as co-owners) simply blindly leave it to others to decide what to do, following the "Daddy knows best" principle. We know where that has got us in the past. Sometimes someone actually comes up with a bright idea, too!

Reactions: Tez
Frank, I don't think anyone is questioning whether the Board are not wondering what to do about this. People are merely expressing their own views on the situation (partly, I suspect, in the absence of football to talk about), as befits a forum like this. It is healthy open debate on a matter of some significance. Gone are the days (I hope) when the fans (particularly those with a stake in the business as co-owners) simply blindly leave it to others to decide what to do, following the "Daddy knows best" principle. We know where that has got us in the past. Sometimes someone actually comes up with a bright idea, too!

Agree entirely, Alan.

Developing on the theme of above, maybe something similar to what AFC Wimbledon have whilst they wait for their move back to their borough.

Kingsmeadow (known as The Cherry Red Records Stadium for sponsorship purposes) is an association football stadium in the area of Norbiton, Kingston upon Thames, London, which is used for the home matches of both AFC Wimbledon and Kingstonian. It has a capacity of 4,850 with 2,265 seats.

The freehold of the site is owned by Kingston Council. The leasehold, which safeguards the site for the borough's football team, was originally held by Kingstonian FC but is currently owned by AFC Wimbledon, having been purchased from the previous owners in March 2003. A condition of the lease is purportedly a renewable 25-year sub-lease to Kingstonian, who are also guaranteed the first pre-season friendly of AFC Wimbledon's first team squad as a home fixture for Kingstonian. The idea is the takings from that first fixture should cover Kingstonian's rent, which is reportedly fixed for the term of the sub-lease.

Again just a thought.

Reactions: Tez
The pitch is a cause for concern but this was already known when it was agreed to ground share at the BS. We're not the only team who will bear the brunt of postponements over the winter. If the funds are there to improve the pitch and Winsford are happy to do so, then go for it, but otherwise I think the priority should be the BIN fund.

The pitch isn't the prettiest at Winsford, or the best to play football on, but we still get the job done and keep challenging for titles, that's good enough for me!:scarf:

From Winsford's point of view spending all the money they've received from us on the pitch isn't good business.
But if spending money on the pitch guarantees us staying for a minimum of 3 more years then it might make sense for them to do that.

And if it's cheaper at Winsford than Witton then maybe we will make a contribution to the pitch works as well?

From Winsford's point of view spending all the money they've received from us on the pitch isn't good business.
But if spending money on the pitch guarantees us staying for a minimum of 3 more years then it might make sense for them to do that.

And if it's cheaper at Winsford than Witton then maybe we will make a contribution to the pitch works as well?

My thoughts on the problem exactly !.

Back