• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

A Neutral's View of Colls v 1874

Andy D

Jul 29, 2013
Thought this might be of interest, posted on a "groundhopping" forum. Sounds like one or two might want to consider controlling their "passion" a little.

Atherton Collieries 0 1874 Northwich 1
Admission £5
Attendance 236

Something of an uncompromising game at Alder House with a good few bookings, a couple of scuffles and the odd bit of football in between. Northwich won with the odd goal but Colls were unlucky not to take a point having hit the post in stoppage time.

First time I've seen the 'new' Northwich club (or should that be 'newest'?) and stood with a couple of blokes who were loving the NWC experience and a good chat. Unfortunately there one or two very gobby types who might want to consider having a little more respect for those around them and the clubs that they are visiting, which put a bit of a dampener on things, certainly when playing the big man stood behind a fence challenging players to a square go and the like. I'm sure they'd be the first to make a run for it should they ever face a real confrontation.

I did notice Emil (the Colls secretary) having a "disagreement" with a 74 fan after the fracas involving Matty Ward in the first half, something shouted by a younger 74 fan about dubious parental origins and Emil (understandably) taking umbridge.
At the risk of upsetting a few....again.....is it too much to ask that we are vocal in the right way? You can be angry at decisions or perceived transgressions, that is what it's all about but please do it with some sense and measure. Extreme baiting of opposition fans/players for a club like ours is surely not the way forward? We are always going to be the bigger team in this league (Linnets apart), we need to have bigger attitudes and responsibilities collectively.

All that being said it would also be nice if some opposing players could have a word with themselves and try to have a bit of banter with us (as the Colls keeper did), play their football and try to silence us that way instead of trying to wind up the "big" crowd!

At times it's going to be difficult I guess, when tensions run high. Not excusing any perceived anti-social behaviour, just saying it is understandable, perhaps occasionally inevitable, to have the odd individual who transgresses in the heat of the moment. I take your point though that perhaps as the " new boys on the block" we'd ideally like to create the right impression most of the time amongst fellow league members. Oddly though on occasions I think, there have been a few clubs who also seem to have allowed their feathers to be ruffled merely by our large numbers, forgetting the financial benefits that the particular match day has given them; though thankfully these have been isolated occurrences I think?

Bottom line is there's no excuse for poor behaviour.

Back