• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

1874 Annual Charity Challenge 2014

Tony1874

Too much time on my hands
Aug 1, 2013
Currently discussing challenge options with Tez and Nicki but the next event will once again involve the iconic figure of 1874.

A challenge isn't a challenge if it isn't challenging ;)

The Projects Team have agreed that the iconic figure 1874 will be turned into 1,874 km with a charity target figure of £1,874.
How we achieve this distance is still being discussed but it's likely to be an indoor cycle over 5 continuous days.

The Projects Team have agreed that the iconic figure 1874 will be turned into 1,874 km with a charity target figure of £1,874.
How we achieve this distance is still being discussed but it's likely to be an indoor cycle over 5 continuous days.
Just done 52 miles in Manchester yesterday.
Count me in, bring it on!!!

Erm...my bike is in for repairs ;) so I will nominate 'him indoors' to take part, seeing as he has just completed the Manchester Cycle event.

I'll count laps!! :D

Probably will overlap at least one match day Tim. Start on a Friday night 18:00 hrs and finish at 18:00 hrs on the Wednesday.
This is actually plan B, plan A was a 24 hour 1,874 km Quadrathlon, consisting of indoor rowing, cycling, running and walking but we found it extremely difficult to find venues willing to support. We also discussed the idea of a 48 hour LEJOG Challenge but decided to stick with the 1,874km.

Reactions: Tez
Count us in for some of the Saturday and Sunday :(

Event is still being planned for early October, just a bit disappointed that I can't get a recognised Northwich gym venue or equipment donated.
All is not lost, I have a few more enquiries to make but looks like I will be purchasing the two training cycles myself and scrounging a venue at a local pub perhaps.

Event is still being planned for early October, just a bit disappointed that I can't get a recognised Northwich gym venue or equipment donated.
All is not lost, I have a few more enquiries to make but looks like I will be purchasing the two training cycles myself and scrounging a venue at a local pub perhaps.
How about using actual road bikes mounted on turbo trainers?
Distance could still be measured and I am sure that we can soon sort out bikes.
If you need any help, give me a shout.

Good idea Steve, seen the turbo trainers but didn't notice any distance counters?

Aldi cycle computer on each bike.
About £8 each, no problem.
I can probably sort a couple out any way.

That's what we'll do Steve, thanks for the advice.

Two challenge choices....
48hour LEJOG indoor cycling challenge
120hour 1,874km indoor cycling challenge
I'll set up a poll to register interest.

We intend to enter a team from 1874 fans and second team from D Company 4 Mercian soldiers but will also be open to other groups, clubs or organisations that want to take on the challenge.

Each team will consist of 6-12 riders depending on the type of event and each team will enter one bike only with a spare for warm up and back up.

We are hopeful to get the Barton Stadium as the venue and which ever event is decided the start date will be a Friday and will coincide with a home match.

The target figure for the event will once again be £1,874 and all funds raised will be split between Ciaran's Cause and a D Company nominated charity.

The event will be management planned with full risk assessment and public liability insurance.

This is a challenge and challenges can fail because a challenge isn't a challenge if it isn't challenging.

As I've already mentioned Tony, we'll supply a couple of bikes for the event if necessary, just need to sort out the logistics of getting them there ready for when the event kicks off.

I know Steve is up for it, but is there anyone else out there who is either keen to take part or knows someone who might be willing to give the challenge a go?

Hopefully I have 2 more interested.
Both are regular cyclists and capable of putting a good shift in.
Tony, if you are at the match tomorow we can have a chat. If not I will catch you next time at the B.S

Tony, would you like me to sound out some Sports Massage Students for this event ? I'm sure I can get a couple down to support the cyclists.
Let me know and i'll pass to Fiona. Cheers Bruce

That would be superb Bruce. Fiona and the guys did an awesome job last time, there efforts were much appreciated. Still not sure how were planning to achieve this 5 day challenge but it would be great to have Fiona involved again, cheers mate.

Back