• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

1874 3 Skem 1 27-10-20

Edge

Administrator
Forum Staff
5 Game Player
Jun 24, 2013
I thought we were poor first half. The passing was hit & miss and the defence looked shaky.

But second half we took them apart.
Harry Cain was unplayable. Ash Woods is looking better with each minute.

I still think we need another centre half but the best 45 minutes I've seen from us this season

Fantastic performance against a good team.

Harry Cain tore them apart.

Looked a lot more comfortable at the back today, aswell

I thought we were poor first half. The passing was hit & miss and the defence looked shaky.

But second half we took them apart.
Harry Cain was unplayable. Ash Woods is looking better with each minute.

I still think we need another centre half but the best 45 minutes I've seen from us this season
They were very physical first half and didn't let us get into much of a rhythm but I still thought we shaded it and should have been ahead if not for a 50/50 penalty decision, second half we were outstanding though and completely outplayed them, I personally think that we're a bit short in a few areas that we're going to need to strengthen if we're looking to challenge for the league, I think that we could do with another left back as back up to russy as well as a centre half and another striker to back up Ash

Also great to see Mitch back in the team and a great header from him

Last edited:
I thought we were ok in first half and game was fairly even at half time.
Second half much more like the team that did so well last year. Some excellent football and Skem ‘s left back had a tortuous time against Harry Cain who was man of the match again.
We were better too with Paul Connor at right back and Mitch got better as the game progressed. And a superb header for his goal.
Hard to complain when we did well but agree another striker is a must and would be nice if we had an experienced centre back.
But an enjoyable match against a decent team.

First half wasn’t the best and and we were probably lucky to be level. Barring a clearance off the line and a great save from Tony to a free kick, we would have been behind at the break.

However that second half was wonderful to watch. Our best 45 minutes this season and far more like the team we were last campaign. In the end our margin of win could have been greater if we’d been a little more clinical.

Harry Cain MOTM again, he ripped them apart. I thought Cal Gardner did well in that second half as did Russy and Paul Connors. We look a lot more solid with both Paul and Mitch in defence.

I don’t think we’re too far off but if we want to really challenge again this season, I think we need an experienced centre half and another striker to go alongside Ash Woods who will do well holding the ball up as we’ve already seen. We have the makings of a good side though.

Oh and the Berties was a bonus!

Last edited:
Totally agree with the above comments, first half a bit scrappy but second half was a joy to watch, get it down and play and teams will have no answer, more of the same saturday please.

Right where has our crowd gone, 189 is a really poor gate especially as the nights weather was ok, do you think people are not aware that they can pay at the gate if they decide to come last minute, i know the virus is hitting things but witt*n have pulled in over 400 for a couple of games, i know we don't get the away support coming but thats over double what we got last night, why do we think that is.
Everything our board have put in place regarding safety features should convince people to come not stay away, i bet the other local clubs haven't got the measures in place we have and that is to be applauded.

COYG

Totally agree with the above comments, first half a bit scrappy but second half was a joy to watch, get it down and play and teams will have no answer, more of the same saturday please.

Right where has our crowd gone, 189 is a really poor gate especially as the nights weather was ok, do you think people are not aware that they can pay at the gate if they decide to come last minute, i know the virus is hitting things but witt*n have pulled in over 400 for a couple of games, i know we don't get the away support coming but thats over double what we got last night, why do we think that is.
Everything our board have put in place regarding safety features should convince people to come not stay away, i bet the other local clubs haven't got the measures in place we have and that is to be applauded.

COYG

The Bar was open and Pies were available again last night. I’m sure that will tempt people back.

I think realistically during this pandemic, 200 on a Tuesday and 250 on a Saturday will be good.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

@1874TV: ?”Everything came together second half and we fully deserved the win.”

Hear more from Ryan Mitchell after last nights 3-1 win over Skelmersdale United. https://t.co/lpO65nTDN2

Reactions: pdw
And some words from Skem

And some more stuff from 1874TV

Better late than never! A few thoughts on Tuesday night.

I enjoyed that game so much it was a full blown challenge that was accepted and passed with flying green colours!

My first words are for Big T in the goals. Well done! It was an assured display with him being more vocal than ever. It really does help the back four when they are guided from behind and know exactly where the goalie is and when he is coming. This pleased me so much as being a former part of the union of goalkeepers.

Anyway to the game. I thought the score at half time and full time reflected the game. A hard fought first half with us probably having more possession but Skem having the better opportunities. Not sure about their pen but 100% sure of our first goal. A great strike by Harry Cain on a night where to bounce the ball just in front of the keeper was always going to give him problems. I thought we huffed and puffed in and around their penalty box without too many chances.

The second half however! We really did up the tempo and with Harry hugging the line this really did stretch them to breaking point. It gave us lots of room in and around their back four. Our running was brilliant offering options and creating chances. Two good goals later and it was won fairly comfortably in the end.

Harry again MoM for me but some other mentions for Jack Irlam who stayed close to Mitch in marshalling the defence, Jake had a great second half and of course Big T!

I just hope the pitch holds up well for Saturday, if so I'll see everyone there!!

Back