• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Ramsbottom A 11 March

But appears to not be stopping at Ramsbottom!
The timetable for that day does appear to confirm that the services I said are running are taking place, but It also appears that you can’t book any tickets for these services until 25 March! The only services that are running that day seem to be those associated with the Flying Scotsman

I’ve sent an email to the E-Lancs Railway asking them to clarify exactly what services are running that day

The timetable for that day does appear to confirm that the services I said are running are taking place, but It also appears that you can’t book any tickets for these services until 25 March! The only services that are running that day seem to be those associated with the Flying Scotsman

I’ve sent an email to the E-Lancs Railway asking them to clarify exactly what services are running that day
I’ve received the following email today from the ELR

“Hello James

Thank you for getting in touch with us.

We absolutely will be operating an additional steam service (subject to availability), as well as Flying Scotsman.

The Full Line/Day Rover Tickets will be available to purchase in advance, but this will be a bit closer to the time (I’m afraid that I currently don’t have a date for this).

I hope that you’re looking forward to coming.

Kind Regards

Callum Bazley

Passenger and Customer Services”

👍😀🚂🚂🍺🍺 🥳 🎂

James , that is great for those interested in steam engines and real ale. The Irwell Works brewery tap opens at 11 am so you could catch the steamer at 9.40, go up to Rawtenstall and then go back to Ramsbottom arriving there at 11.15. A relaxed session in the brewery tap and down to the football with the train back leaving at 17.15. Good day out for those with stamina! Mind you they may not let you break the journey, I don't know. There is a later train from Bury at 11.48 getting in at 12.02, or even the 13.49 getting in at 14.03 (ignoring the temptation to go to Rawtenstall) if you prefer. I will probably stick to driving and the cricket club!

James , that is great for those interested in steam engines and real ale. The Irwell Works brewery tap opens at 11 am so you could catch the steamer at 9.40, go up to Rawtenstall and then go back to Ramsbottom arriving there at 11.15. A relaxed session in the brewery tap and down to the football with the train back leaving at 17.15. Good day out for those with stamina! Mind you they may not let you break the journey, I don't know. There is a later train from Bury at 11.48 getting in at 12.02, or even the 13.49 getting in at 14.03 (ignoring the temptation to go to Rawtenstall) if you prefer. I will probably stick to driving and the cricket club!
There is a great bar at the ELR station in Bury too with normally 4 or 5 ales available 🍺👍.

Going to be tight to fit in breakfast at Alty Market and get to Bury so we can see the FS, have a pint in the ELR station buffet bar and then get to Rammy in time to have a couple more beers 🍻 (it is my birthday after all!).

Just hope that we get further than Alty which is as far as we got last time round! We did have a very nice breakfast though! 🍳 🥓

There is a great bar at the ELR station in Bury too with normally 4 or 5 ales available 🍺👍.

Going to be tight to fit in breakfast at Alty Market and get to Bury so we can see the FS, have a pint in the ELR station buffet bar and then get to Rammy in time to have a couple more beers 🍻 (it is my birthday after all!).

Just hope that we get further than Alty which is as far as we got last time round! We did have a very nice breakfast though! 🍳 🥓
Had an email from ELR today advising me that tickets for 11 March are now on sale. I’ll post the link tomorrow along with some suggested itineraries, times etc. hopefully I’ll get these included on Saturday’s programme too!👍 🚂🍻

Had an email from ELR today advising me that tickets for 11 March are now on sale. I’ll post the link tomorrow along with some suggested itineraries, times etc. hopefully I’ll get these included on Saturday’s programme too!👍 🚂🍻
Too late to go into the printed version of the programme but will be in the digital version and newsletter👍

Had another mail exchange with the ELR (their customer relations department really is to notch). Return tickets to Rammy and back are available on the day from the ticket office. No need to pre-book.

However, fyi there are major works in Manchester City centre this weekend that might impact on tram services. I’ll try and post more details about these later in the week

Had another mail exchange with the ELR (their customer relations department really is to notch). Return tickets to Rammy and back are available on the day from the ticket office. No need to pre-book.

However, fyi there are major works in Manchester City centre this weekend that might impact on tram services. I’ll try and post more details about these later in the week
Looks like some tram services through the city centre will be impacted. But the Alty - Bury service seems to be running, albeit via Exchange Square only rather than Piccadilly.

Not sure what impact this will have on frequency and journey times though. Will try and find out and post on here ASAP!

Alternative solution might be to stay on the train 🚆 from
Alty to Piccadilly and then walk from there to Victoria and pick the tram up from there.

Here is the usual info about the ground. No point in opening a new feed for it as we have all of James' brilliant info about pubs etc.

ClubRamsbottom United
Game Date11th March 2023
Game time3pm
Ground addressHarry Williamson Riverside Stadium, Acre Bottom, Ramsbottom, BL0 0BS
Home coloursAll Blue
DirectionsFrom Northwich (approx. 42 miles and 1 hour). M6, M62, M66 to Junction 1. Exit to A56. Follow A56 to traffic lights and turn left (signposted to Ramsbottom and E Lancs railway). Follow road all way to railway station and turn left into Acre Bottom immediately before station. Ground is at bottom (Right) of the road where there is a car park.
Parking facilitiesAt ground
Railway stationBury (metrolink). NOTE the East Lancs Railway is open that day and steam trains will be running with the last one leaving Ramsbottom at 5.15 – see below for timetable.
BusRegular services between Bury Interchange and Ramsbottom station incl 472, 474 & B1. A41 express service from Manchester to Accrington, stops in Ramsbottom.
Admission Prices£9, Concessions (>65, <16,) £5, Children U12 (with adult) £1. Students with ID were able to get concessions previously, not sure about this season
Programme price£2
Disabled access and toiletsYes
CarersAre carers for disabled fans allowed in free? No, full prices.
Food at groundUsual fare of pie and peas, confectionery, drinks hot and cold, on sale in the Teabar throughout the game
Drinks at groundAlcohol served in adjacent cricket club, from 1.30pm. Cans available in ground until half time..
Are dogs allowedYes on lead.
Local pubsThere are quite a few pubs listed in Ramsbottom on the Camra site, https://rob.camra.org.uk/viewnode.php?id=2855 which are local. The cricket club, next door to the football club, is open on match days and has 3 hand pumps (I enjoyed it last season).
NOTE. Previously many supporters ended up in the Irwell Works brewery Tap, Irwell Street, Ramsbottom BL0 9YQ and enjoyed it.
Local places of interestPeel monument, Irwell sculpture trail.
AcknowledgementsTony Cunningham RUAFC

1678183200151.png

Afraid that the Flying Scotsman appears to be fully booked!
Also am I correct in saying that the 14 min steam train ride to Rammy and back to Bury is £22 on day and £19 online?

Confirmed it is a cash only stadium, so you can't flash your plastic! (except for banknotes of course!)

One day someone will offer to put pen to paper and write a book about “Everything on an an 1874 away day. I’ve no doubt that the words will be appreciated by all!

Enjoy the game first lads 🍺😃😇⚽🍺

Back