• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Peoples opinions...

Jack Owen

Too much time on my hands
Aug 4, 2013
Right, I have just been reading some of the tweets from last night by Joe, an Atherton Colls fan, he obviously is annoyed about some of the comments made on our forum, to the delight of the Flixton massive.

I just wanted to know what people think we said wrong? What would you deem as insulting or biased?

Just like to point out, the way that other clubs players and management team have spoken towards our fans, on Saturday, someone off the Colls bench turned round and aggressively swore at an Elderly woman just because she shouted about a bad tackle and then another member told me to "get our own ground"

Unfortunately, Jack, I read the tweets too. I was hoping they would go largely unnoticed. Whilst Joe is frustrated that his team have been mocked, he doesn't need to tar the whole club and its fanbase due to the actions of a few fans.

That said, it is totally wrong that certain 'supporters' of this club, also associated with the 'supporters team' can get away with dishing abuse out every week to rival players and clubs as well as pulbicised theft. This damages the sterling work done by the volunteers at this club from day one. It doesn't take much for the likes of Dewsbury to rear his ugly head (using a pseudonym) to latch on to any of these stories (On a separate issue, I also noticed he has taken charge of the NVFC twitter accounts and website.)

There have been some distasteful scenes at games this season, it doesn't need to boil over.

It did seem a bit silly what joe was complaining i didnt think what pdw was particulally nasty or insulting, but what followed by one of our fans did take it step too far, i would stress however that the majority of our fanbase arnt what joe described
At least the popular peoples front of flixton are having a bit of a laugh, havnt had a lot to smile about recently nor will they have anything to laugh about soon

I was stood hy the Colls bench on Saturday, and yes at one point things did get a little heated. Having said that, I was having a good crack with the Colls fans. In fact it was them who commented that they were the eleven when the gate was anounced. The problem seems to be when banter is perceived as abuse, this happens when the language used deteriorates and becomes foul. Unfortunatly a younger element use this language on a regular basis, just as part of normal conversation Yes, I know i'm an old fart, but I do know what is and is not acceptable.
Maybe a few of the younger supporters just need to think a little more, and maybe the older ones can help with a quiet word every now and then.
P.s I remember my grandad having a word with me about my language at the Drill Field early 70's.
A lesson I never forgot.
Rant over.

My comments were based partly on the fact that every time Colls had a dead ball the keeper told whoever was taking it to take their time or leave it, Are these the actions of a team who came to win, I think not.
What I said was not insulting in any way it was just the way I saw it.
Nobody has mocked them I just said what I saw and heard, If I am wrong can somebody please tell me.

Maybe shouldn't have used the word hoof ball a tad harsh

No one has mentioned what the Atherton centre half called a lady with a child who stood by me,it could not have been more insulting,I will not repeat it.So if we are going to throw stones,lets not throw them all in the same direction.

I don't get how someone could be offended if comments on a teams forum are slightly bias towards their team. We're not going to say the Colls were "amazing", they weren't. Neither were we as we all agree. We all just expressed our views on the game. If you can hack it if someones opinion is different than yours, then a forum is no place for you - Opinions are usually rife on forums!

Reactions: Ben
I've seen the tweet from Joe. There's nothing insulting in any of the post-match comments on the forum. We're all entitled to opinions within reason. Joe seems to be basing his opinion on the action of one fan who I know from experience happens to not have many brain cells.

I have nothing against Joe or anyone at Atherton Colls, just thought id raise this as comments made have came across in the wrong way.

To be honest I'm sick to death of the teams in this league already, pretty much every week the behavior of opposition players and management towards our supporters is pathetic (I would say their fans as well but there's hardly been any) so if Joe is upset with us then tough luck, try coming down every week and seeing for yourself how opposition teams/management are acting towards us this season and then you will see what getting abuse is like. I REALLY want promotion even more now as another year of the mostly pathetic opposition/management abuse would really irritate me.

Reactions: Ben
I would say though that any unprovoked abuse from our fans (haven't heard any myself) is out of order and makes us look bad, however if the opposition want to start it then they must be ready to get it back.

As we're on the matter, I thought the behaviour of the Darwen fans, players and management was disgraceful at times last week!

As we're on the matter, I thought the behaviour of the Darwen fans, players and management was disgraceful at times last week!

6 of 1 half a dozen of the other, Ben.

As with all things don't give it if you can't take it. One or two (and it is only a few) of our fans need to take a look at their own behavior too and then maybe we may not be as vilified as a whole group of supporters. There is one gentleman who constantly provokes the officials and supporters of other clubs and refs and linesmen too, this does nothing for our fledgling relationship with our league and fellow clubs and I know it is a source of embarrassment to his peers as well.

I too have read Joe's tweet and there was nothing in it really, certainly not when compared to some of the other things written about us on another clubs fans forum(and they are not based in Flixton).

Can we please get over ourselves and get on with supporting Ian and our great little club in a positive way and maybe, just maybe, we may have something less to bloody moan about at the end of the season than "only scoring 4 at Darwen!"

Rant over.

Should not get abused for wearing our club colours though! I do think some should wind their necks in so others don't get abuse for doing nothing other than wanting to clap the boys in.

You are right Richard we shouldn't. But I'm sure is it is the best response to rise above and ignore idiotic remarks from others, be the better men and women, and show others that our club has the best fans ( which it does ;)).

Back