• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Meet The Manager (type evening) .....

Nik_s

Legend
Jul 28, 2013
It's really been a while since we (the fans) had a chance to get an update from the manager, in fact the only time a 'formal' meeting of this type has been organised was when Ian was first appointed.
Can something be arranged perhaps once every quarter, or at certain milestones throughout the season to provide the fans with an opportunity to get Ian's thought and feelings as to how the season is going and perhaps a quick Q&A session at the end?

I for one would certainly attend and relish the opportunity to get his and the players take on the season so far in a relaxed environment such as say....The Lostock Club or Winsford's Clubhouse....

From the weekly newsletter it seems Ian and the team will be at the race night Saturday.

I'm sure they won't mind a few a questions there.

I for one have a few armchair fan thoughts to discuss after a tipple of whiskey

It's really been a while since we (the fans) had a chance to get an update from the manager, in fact the only time a 'formal' meeting of this type has been organised was when Ian was first appointed.
Can something be arranged perhaps once every quarter, or at certain milestones throughout the season to provide the fans with an opportunity to get Ian's thought and feelings as to how the season is going and perhaps a quick Q&A session at the end?

I for one would certainly attend and relish the opportunity to get his and the players take on the season so far in a relaxed environment such as say....The Lostock Club or Winsford's Clubhouse....

You're not alone with those thoughts. Really had hoped the info from football side of things would have been more forthcoming. Whilst the newsletter has been regular, it really doesn't contain anything worth reading. The managers update, when it does occur, is a rare insight but had hoped for better.

Still not using the website for news release - but thats a different subject.

As for the chance to meet the manager at the race night... I'm sorry, but a race night does nothing for me. Need to be more diverse and show some imagination. Give the supporters who are on the lesser side of forty something to be interested in.

Thanks for your support and constructive comments Tinpot! Just goes to prove that you can please some of the people some of the time and..............

We have had a lot of good feedback re our weekly newsletter (the 50th - yes 50th will be winging its' way out on Friday to over 300 recipients) and we are grateful for that. We have been trying to give as much information as possible with a managers update on those occasions when we are not at home the following day and Ian has always been pleased to provide as much information as he can ( without giving too much away that future opposition might find "interesting!")

Appreciate that a Race Night is not everyone's cup of tea and neither was the Bowling Evening earlier in the season but that was enjoyed by a good turnout including the players and I am sure that Saturday Night will also be a success on a number of fronts.

Then there is an evening out in December and more social gatherings still to arrange ( whatever these are it is accepted that not everyone will attend either by choice or circumstances but Toddy and his colleagues will still carry on with their sterling work)

We are trying our best but if there is anything else that we are falling short with then please don't hesitate to let us know

Tinpot.

I would just like to echo Brian's thoughts.

If we "oldsters" are not doing things to your liking then tell a member of the Board, it is after all your club.

I would also add that even our time is limited so perhaps you would like to arrange some of the events which would appeal to those "whippersnappers" under 40.

Tinpot I understand that some of the events are not to every ones taste,and that is why when we have a Social Committee Meeting we invite other fans to attend.We are always open to idea's,so if you would like to come along to the next meeting with any idea's you have for an event you will be very welcome.

Will Ian be at the AGM? As that could be an ideal opportunity for him to give an update on his thoughts & plans.

Assuming the board have got the hang of running a football club by now then maybe the monthly meetings could be reintroduced ;)

Can I add my two penn'oth?!!

If I delve into history, many of us fans were used to meeting the Manager pretty much on a monthly basis. The difference was....the Manager worked full time for the club and the meetings were held at our own ground, so he would pop in to the social event before or after training. Therefore it was set up nicely for him (Andy Preece, Jock, Stevie Burr etc).

Things are very different now, we don't have the same set up and our Manager, as dedicated and passionate as he is to work hard for our/his club, does have a demanding job and life beyond 1874. We all need to appreciate that we live in a different time. Ian and the Club will do their best to faciliate when possible.

The same goes for the players.

As far as communication goes, well let's delve into history again. Erm.... need I say more?! 1874 fans have a weekly bulletin that gives an insight into life at the club that week and it highlights things that are on the horizon. There's loads going on, but information can only be given at the right time. My personal opinion is that we have never been so communicated to by our football club and I look forward to Friday night when the latest edition comes out.

I know that Toddy and the Social Committee are always looking for ideas and help. We can't please everyone but we are trying to get a balance, so hold an event where players can join in with fans (the brilliant bowls night) to an event that will make some serious funds for the club (Race Night).

The fantastic thing is that your Board and volunteers are listening and will work hard to try and make 1874 an excellent experience for everyone.

How old are we? One on 15 November? I think it has been pretty wonderful so far!! Don't you..........

NOW THE 74!!!

The reality is that we have the best communication to fans that I can remember in 40+ years of following Green football. We also have a Board who are approachable and will share information freely whenever they can. They will also listen to ideas and take them up or encourage the suggested activity.

As supporters / owners we can not expect the board to do it all for us. Firstly if we want something different we must say what it is, then we must say how we can help them to make it happen wherever possible.

Having attended a number of meet the manager sessions and read hundreds of programme notes and player interviews over the years - I can honestly say that I have learned very little of any significance - mainly because what goes on in the changing rooms mostly has to stay in the changing rooms - and because especially at this level managers have to be very guarded about their thoughts and plans.

If supporters / owners would like a meet the manager session then I am sure that it could be arranged as part of the social calender at an appropriate time for all concerned. Have a chat with Toddy and his excellent social committee.

Thanks Vicki and Danebank Green for explaining the situation above and also for giving us a possible "solution"

At the end of our first season we will undoubtedly be arranging one or two events including a presentation evening and part of this evening (or another evening) could include a Q & A with the manager ( here he could provide many insights into the season as a whole, maybe even relate some amusing happenings and answer most fans' question?)

Finally from me, I would like to say again how satisfying it is that we are all talking about "football on the pitch matters" on this forum and as we all know we will never agree on playing matters such as line ups, systems,substitutions,the drum (?), penalty takers, man of he match,player of the month, goal of the season etc etc etc but long may it continue

Back