• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Gutted

Jack Owen

Too much time on my hands
Aug 4, 2013
Lost 3-0 against a good Maine Road side.

We have such a good team, quality throughout but today, they didn't seem that in to it, just a shame after coming so far to go out without much of a fight.

Might've been a different game had Wellstead put that chance away or had we got a pen from the handball appeal.

I thought we were alright first half, just things weren't coming off in the final third. Second half was different, I think our heads dropped when we gave away the penalty.

You could tell it wasn't going our way when Stuart missed that, so composed infront of goal usually, move on to the league now two huge games this week

Definitely, just wasn't our day. On the plus side, I brought a friend to the game and he said he'll be back Wednesday :)

Hopefully it'll be a better performance then.

Just didn't seem interested today, only Mike Brandon looked like he was giving it his all.

Don't know why Thomas played instead of Asten, his voice at the back was more than needed today. But I suppose the league is more important.

I thought we were awful all over the pitch today, second to every ball and sloppy in defence, Craig and Danny looked like they've never seen each other before and both had their worst game for the club so far, thought that Brandon tried but couldn't get into the game and only Matty Ward looked sharp for us today. Although it's very disapointing not to get to a cup final i think that we needed to get a better result in the first leg so we gave ourselves too much too do today, Now on to Tuesday! :scarf:

Couldn't make it today. Any idea of the crowd? A cup final is always welcome but imo the league is priority so I wouldn't get too disheartened about today.

Best team won and a good indicator as to the job in hand for Ian.

We move on.

Use this positively boys and don't cave into back biting and stay together. We all still believe and let's have a proper '74 performance on Wednesday.

PS the "highlights" for this game won't be lengthy!

I thought we were awful all over the pitch today, second to every ball and sloppy in defence, Craig and Danny looked like they've never seen each other before and both had their worst game for the club so far, thought that Brandon tried but couldn't get into the game and only Matty Ward looked sharp for us today. Although it's very disapointing not to get to a cup final i think that we needed to get a better result in the first leg so we gave ourselves too much too do today, Now on to Tuesday! :scarf:
Really! Its our first season. we are in with a chance of promotion and we have reached a semi final, beaten two premier sides and finally been beaten by one of the top teams in the premier division. I think i'd have taken that at the start of the season.
You are only as good as the opposition let you play and Maine Road were class in every position today.
There's no pleasing some people!! :(

Most disappointing thing was a perceived lack of effort.

Matt ward, mike Brandon, lee Duckworth, Matt Conkie, only ones who seemed to want to run about.

Still I remember similar games at the drill field and they were always followed by a backlash performance, here's hoping.

As I said to a number of people at the ground yesterday, if we're going to lose any game in the coming weeks, let it be this one!

Maine Road played well and did exactly what they needed to, closing down everything, slowing up play and stopping any real momentum from gaining.

We move on! Chins up, it's not a biggie IMO. Lets concentrate on that league!

I saw this one as one we can relax with more, one where the result didnt really matter
Lets stay positive and look forward to what is a huge win for us

The only thing which matters now is nailing wins in our last four games, end of story. The League Cup and the winners/runners up medals, nice as they may be, are trinkets in the grand scheme of things; promotion and securing a place in next years FA Cup are the prizes we want surely?

Maine Road are a very decent side and we left ourselves too much to do from the first leg. Whilst cup sucess if great, its the league that is the real prize. To be where we are in our first season is tremendous and great credit on Ian and the team. Stating the obvious I know but four games, four wins and we are at least up.

We are in this situation for a reason - because for 32 games so far we have played our way to this opportunity - never giving up, never giving in, fighting for each other.

We supporters now more than ever need to be the twelfth man - right behind the lads all the way. We will play our part and I know they will play theirs.

#COYG

Very true. Really proud of the progression the lads made in that competition but the real deal is over the next four fixtures. Maybe taking that chance in the first half, and having the Green Army behind the lads might have made things interesting but this was excellent opposition who are a class above and only got pipped to the title last year.

Lets put Leek to the sword on Wednesday

Reactions: Tez
Maine Road was always going to be a tough game. It's no fluke where they are in their league. The league and promotion is the priority and that's what players, management and fans alike have to focus on now to cap off what has already been a fantastic first season. Come on you Greens!

I felt the players weren't up for Saturday's game, I think there minds are firmly forced on our promotion push. Not using that as an excuse because I fully expect the players to give there best every game they play for us but I think the thought of promotion got in there way on Saturday.

Never mind though it's time to move onto Wednesday game and hopefully we can get another 3 vital points to set up Saturday's game away at Formby the promotion decider.

Never mind though it's time to move onto Wednesday game and hopefully we can get another 3 vital points to set up Saturday's game away at Formby the promotion decider.

Not quite, but it will certainly go a long long way toward deciding. I'm sure both Formby, Nelson, as well as ourselves of course, won't want to take their eye off the ball at this late stage; Rochdale showed on Thursday they were capable of causing a shock ;I'm sure there are others who'd like to do the same given half the chance ;)

Back