• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

GNE 0-2

Edge

Administrator
Forum Staff
5 Game Player
Jun 24, 2013
Hmm, where do you start?

After the Lord Mayors show?
GNE with 3 at the back & 5 in midfield suffocated us?
A learning experience for a young side?

I've no idea.
They scored from their two shots on target but put a couple of other chances just over and hit the post.
We lacked creativity and were pedestrian. Is that down to us, GNE or the pitch - or a combo of all 3?

Very disappointing today after last week and certainly brought back to reality. We just didn’t turn up and a few players had off games. I don’t recall us having a shot on target and think we could do with someone else alongside Josh who can play off him as it’s not the first time he’s been left very isolated up top. He holds the ball up well but then there’s isn’t anyone there. We’re still lacking in the final third if you ask me.

Credit to Glossop though. They were very comfortable and deserved their win. Could easily have won by a few more goals and never looked in danger of letting us back into it. They’ll do okay.

Still got to put things into context though. That’s still only our second league defeat of the season and our first at home and we’re doing very well in 5th! A great 300 plus crowd again today also.

Hopefully we can bounce back next Saturday against Mossley!

No positives from this match I’m afraid. It was a very poor performance. Looked lethargic, lost most of 50/50 balls, terrible passing out of defence and unhappy again about the lack of support for Quarless. Pretty much worst I’ve seen this season. Credit to Glossop though as they were solid organised and worked hard.

No arguments with the above. However, the first goal should not have been allowed as the no 9 was impeding Tony and, unless the taker of the corner was blocking his view, the ref's assistant must be incompetent not to have seen it. I doubt it would have made any difference to the result but it was not just us who had an off game.

No shots on goal is not good enough which is a shame as there was a decent crowd in today, no one in the 11 played well, hope for better next Saturday.

Reactions: Ben
Another unbelievable set of results in the mad world of npl west, while you are backing up a fantastic win at macc with a home defeat we at workington are labouring to a goalless home draw with city of liverpool (centre forward Lewis Reilly continuing his 100 % penalty miss run) a point which amazingly lifts us from 5th to 2nd. A Tuesday night trip to macc beckons for us with a 53 seat coach sold out,thank god I cant make it because I'm wary of the reception that them lads will receive.

No shots on goal is not good enough which is a shame as there was a decent crowd in today, no one in the 11 played well, hope for better next Saturday.

Phil - we did have one shot and one header on target. But after last week it was a massive disappointment. So, so flat.

No arguments with the above. However, the first goal should not have been allowed as the no 9 was impeding Tony and, unless the taker of the corner was blocking his view, the ref's assistant must be incompetent not to have seen it. I doubt it would have made any difference to the result but it was not just us who had an off game.
Sorry Richard, I was right behind the goal and it was no foul. Big T really had to do better.

Another unbelievable set of results in the mad world of npl west, while you are backing up a fantastic win at macc with a home defeat we at workington are labouring to a goalless home draw with city of liverpool (centre forward Lewis Reilly continuing his 100 % penalty miss run) a point which amazingly lifts us from 5th to 2nd. A Tuesday night trip to macc beckons for us with a 53 seat coach sold out,thank god I cant make it because I'm wary of the reception that them lads will receive.
Good luck at Macc… really hope you get the 3 points. Our first home defeat today…..no consistency in this league!

Hmm, where do you start?

After the Lord Mayors show?
GNE with 3 at the back & 5 in midfield suffocated us?
A learning experience for a young side?

I've no idea.
They scored from their two shots on target but put a couple of other chances just over and hit the post.
We lacked creativity and were pedestrian. Is that down to us, GNE or the pitch - or a combo of all 3?
A complete lack of intensity and desire compared to last week.

Why? You tell me ‘cos I have no idea.

I’ve no idea why Ben Woods is picked ahead of Ollie Broe. He offers nothing offensively. As soon as he gets around the half way line he is always looking for the easy square ball inside. Rarely bombs on like Bucks does to make the overlap.

And then we come to my old complaint. The lack of support for Josh.

Fully understand why we set ourselves up as we did last week at Macc and as I’ve said in other posts it was a tactical triumph.

But yet again today at home we witnessed Josh working his ass off up top but with virtually no close support from Kenzie or Joe as the wife men in a top three (if we were playing a 4-3-3 as Bo and Goody say we do) or any of the three midfielders.

And since Jamie Reed left and Ash Woods went on loan to Winsford, we’ve no other striker to bring on to give Josh a rest, or adopt a different style of play!

Sorry Richard, I was right behind the goal and it was no foul. Big T really had to do better.
Equally sorry James. I had an unimpeded view of the boring and holding T got. Different viewpoint, different view. Doesn't matter anyway we can't change it but it was just like Marines first goal last season, except he didnt push T in mid air!

I've just watched the goal via VEO & I'm not sure.

It looked like the 9 might have impeded Tony but Tony is 6ft + & should be able to swat him out of the way.

Worst thing for me was to perform so badly in front of a really good crowd, got to try and attract people to come back but what was on offer Saturday won't do it, hope for better at mossley.
See you all tonight.

Worst thing for me was to perform so badly in front of a really good crowd, got to try and attract people to come back but what was on offer Saturday won't do it, hope for better at mossley.
See you all tonight.
Did we have a shot at goal ?, may have done so but I didn't see it, had a talk with an old footie pal of mine recently, both want to know how the term striker and centre forward differs?, are they not there to score goals?, or are we defunct in understanding of the modern game plans !!

Did we have a shot at goal ?, may have done so but I didn't see it, had a talk with an old footie pal of mine recently, both want to know how the term striker and centre forward differs?, are they not there to score goals?, or are we defunct in understanding of the modern game plans !!
Frank, I think Joe had a shot in the first half which went into the side netting and Jonah had 2 headers on target towards the end. In your day there were 5 forwards attacking and if the centre forward knocked the ball down he had 2 inside forwards to pounce on it. Even youngsters like me have problems with understanding it!

Frank, I think Joe had a shot in the first half which went into the side netting and Jonah had 2 headers on target towards the end. In your day there were 5 forwards attacking and if the centre forward knocked the ball down he had 2 inside forwards to pounce on it. Even youngsters like me have problems with understanding it!
Those were the days, Richard, I recall them well.

Back