• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Colne 1-0 1874

Jack Owen

Too much time on my hands
Aug 4, 2013
So poor. We can play so much better than that. We allowed them to drop the game to their level and they took their chance when it came.

Disappointing today and to lose twice this season to Colne who I think are a poor side.

Colne didn’t create a lot but when they had a chance they took it. We probably didn’t deserve to lose but nor did we do enough to get a result. Very few chances created from us, just didn’t work their keeper enough.

I feel we need to be more positive in our approach to some games. We sit too deep and allowed Colne to come onto us and dictate the play. I’d like to see them try Ash up front with Josh. Can’t do any harm to try something different as I think we do struggle in the final third at times and certain players are isolated., as we are generally fairly solid defensively.

That’s what I think we need to work on anyway. Feel we’re lacking a cutting edge and are too predictable. Could do with a home win now against CoL on Tuesday as we’re dropping down the table a little and we’ve in fact only won once all season, although I appreciate we’ve drawn a fair amount!

Last edited:
I was fairly satisfied at half time as I thought we did play so decent football without really creating chances, unlike Tuesday at Clitheroe. So coming out second half down the hill I was confident.

However I just didn't think we got going. Only really one half chance to speak of and it really fell away after they scored.

Ben makes a point of being too deep and on that point all I would say is when Matt and Fenton play together there are times when we have 2 holding midfielders which restricts us. Fenton is great going forward but we didn't see much of that today.

We certainly didn't deserve to lose today but I really didn't think we deserved to win either. Colne are not great but they do work so hard for each other and that won the game for them.

oh well on to Tuesday. See everyone there.

I feel we need to be more positive in our approach to some games. We sit too deep and allowed Colne to come onto us and dictate the play. I’d like to see them try Ash up front with Josh. Can’t do any harm to try something different as I think we do struggle in the final third at times and certain players are isolated., as we are generally fairly solid defensively.
Can't believe how long I've been saying this now and there is absolutely no reason other than either stubbornness or delusion as to why we don't go with two strikers (especially when we're behind and trying to get back into a game)

Ben makes a point of being too deep and on that point all I would say is when Matt and Fenton play together there are times when we have 2 holding midfielders which restricts us. Fenton is great going forward but we didn't see much of that today.
Very good point and particularly when we're playing at home it's not necessary to play with two holding midfield players as it's a negative approach and just allows the opposition to dictate the game from an attacking aspect

I do think the one up front with two wide men formation is the best one that suits us, its done well so far for us since Wayne and Paul took over. The issue is with playing 2 upfront; it can leave your midfield exposed more to counter attacks once you lose possession, its why 4-4-2 has died out a lot in the professional game. Could be worth a try I guess but it would need the correct personnel to make it work.

Its just in the past we had Jake Parker very high up the pitch playing off Scotty so it lead to more goal output between the two. Compared to now Jack Irlam plays a lot deeper and does a lot more work around the pitch. Probably due to the change in level we play at.

Agree with @Alan Riding we didn’t deserve to lose today, it had a dull 0-0 draw all over it.

Lets back our lads now, fully behind them all 90 minutes on Tuesday and hopefully pick up a much needed 3 points✊?⚫

Can't believe how long I've been saying this now and there is absolutely no reason other than either stubbornness or delusion as to why we don't go with two strikers (especially when we're behind and trying to get back into a game)

Completely agree with your point. At times during the second half there must have been a gap of 10 yards between Josh and the nearest supporting player. So it was no little surprise that they won the majority of second phase plays when we actually managed to get the ball into the top third of the pitch.

The switch to bring Ben Woods and Jeannie on for Ollie Broe and Joe and move Liam to right back was the right decision as we’d created nothing down that side since the half time break.

Respect to them. They have a game plan, know how to play to there best advantages on the pitch and the slope.

But it was like we’d learned nothing from the FA Cup defeat there in August ?

Very negative, very unadventurous and very disappointing - particularly given that that they are a bloody ordinary side.

So as a result of this defeat, the next two home games do really become ‘must win’ games if we aren’t to throw away such a promising start to the season and get dragged towards then relegation zone?

I was fairly satisfied at half time as I thought we did play so decent football without really creating chances, unlike Tuesday at Clitheroe. So coming out second half down the hill I was confident.

However I just didn't think we got going. Only really one half chance to speak of and it really fell away after they scored.

We certainly didn't deserve to lose today but I really didn't think we deserved to win either. Colne are not great but they do work so hard for each other and that won the game for them.

oh well on to Tuesday. See everyone there.

So poor. We can play so much better than that. We allowed them to drop the game to their level and they took their chance when it came.
2 shots at goal in total all the game ?!

I'm going to pull the goalkeepers union card here! Tony seemed to have the ball in his hands when the forward challenged him for the goal. I've slowed it down on the big "tele" and I would have been upset with that decision.

It doesn't change my previous thoughts though.

I'm sure we now have a good team that is able to compete at this level and credit to the management for putting this together. Just a bit more consistency will see us climb the table. (Easier said than done!)

I'm going to pull the goalkeepers union card here! Tony seemed to have the ball in his hands when the forward challenged him for the goal. I've slowed it down on the big "tele" and I would have been upset with that decision.

I'm sure we now have a good team that is able to compete at this level and credit to the management for putting this together. Just a bit more consistency will see us climb the table. (Easier said than done!)

Despite my frustration about the performance and result, we’ve got such a young side and this really bodes well for the future. They’ll make mistakes and we need to cut them some slack.

But nonetheless I still think that playing one up top is negative, particularly at home. I can understand it a little more on our travels, but yesterday (and ive only seen the two Colne games and the win at Clitheroe, which was fabulous) there was so fall support for Josh, particularly in the second half when we were kicking downhill AND with the wind!?

Good spot Alan. I thought Tony had not got down fast enough at the time but I agree with you. It appears to have been kicked out of his hands. Can't change it though! Need a good win tomorrow night.

I do think the one up front with two wide men formation is the best one that suits us, its done well so far for us since Wayne and Paul took over. The issue is with playing 2 upfront; it can leave your midfield exposed more to counter attacks once you lose possession, its why 4-4-2 has died out a lot in the professional game. Could be worth a try I guess but it would need the correct personnel to make it work.

I get your point but I would personally rather be slightly more vulnerable to a counter attack than not to carry much of an attacking threat ourselves, in theory having a front 3 (or lone striker with two wingers) should work but when we're not dictating the pace of the game it allows the opposition to force our wingers into a more defense position, also to add to that as you said Jack Irlam plays deeper and drops back into midfield which is great that he works so hard but further isolates the lone striker, it really hasn't helped us that we've lost 3 very good number 10's in Jake Parker, Aaron Smith and Sam Hare but imo we've still got players like Callum and Kenzy who could do a great job in that area if we still want to keep the same formation, alternatively we've got 3 strikers Josh, Jamie, and Ash so there's no reason why we can't go with the two up front

In the newsletter the other week Wayne was saying that we actually play 3 up front. I think the issue is that one is central, the other two are out wide.

I can't comment on Colne as I wasn't there but I assume we set up in the usual 4-2-1-3 formation.
If the 10 drops deep & the wider players do also then we end up with a 4-5-1 & the 1 up top gets isolated. And if the fullbacks aren't getting forward

Maybe who plays at 10 makes a large difference as the more attacking options will probably stay further forward?

Back