• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Clitheroe v 74

Fair counter comment and comparison, we'll have to wait until the season is complete for a full comparison. The stats still show a roughly 10% drop in gates compared to last seasons when taking out Witton, Macc and Linnets, which is still a high figure as a percentage.

Hypothetically, we win the next two games and we're closer to the top 6 than relegation
But this is part of the problem we’re 2 points off relegation right now. we win a couple of games (albeit performances are a long way short of where they should be) and some fans seem to forget the boring negative football and the very real situation we’re in. Things have been dire for a year now, we don’t look anywhere near as good as some of the teams around us let alone teams near the top. We’ll have one good game and then it’s all forgotten by some. While the guys on here who are desperate for change may seem negative, we all just want what is best for the club. Being in relegations scraps year in year out, losing home support, dwindling budgets, squad regression is not good for the club.

Reactions: Ben
Not a huge difference in attendances so far. The graph is all NPL games since we were promoted, the line is a 5 game average. Recent gates have been some of our worst - but not that much different from just after Covid.

1699361843056.png

But this is part of the problem we’re 2 points off relegation right now. we win a couple of games (albeit performances are a long way short of where they should be) and some fans seem to forget the boring negative football and the very real situation we’re in. Things have been dire for a year now, we don’t look anywhere near as good as some of the teams around us let alone teams near the top. We’ll have one good game and then it’s all forgotten by some. While the guys on here who are desperate for change may seem negative, we all just want what is best for the club. Being in relegations scraps year in year out, losing home support, dwindling budgets, squad regression is not good for the club.
Disregarding wins because you don't like the way we play doesn't make sense. A win is a win.
As has already been stated, the average attendance was skewed last year because of the Macclesfield game. And we are yet to play Linnets & Witton which will have bigger crowds and increase the average attendance.

What is better...winning ugly or losing with style? I'd take the points any day.

Comparing the style of play to the Counties league doesn't help. The higher up the structure you go, the more difficult it is to play that kind of football. Especially with the budgets that we operate with. We have to cut out cloth accordingly. If people decide they don't want to go to games until the 'quality' of football is better, then that will have an adverse effect on the club as lower attendances will create lower revenue.

Me and my girlfriend brought 10 people to the Mossley game last year. Was it a positive result? No. Did we play well? Not really. Do they want to come again when we can arrange it? Yes.
We have the benefits of being able to have a beer and watch the game. And yes, the beer money doesn't come to us, but the gate does. And the extra food that was bought. It's a good afternoon out with mates and, if they aren't as invested in the result, a loss won't put them off coming again when, they might be more invested and decide they want to come more regularly.

Disregarding wins because you don't like the way we play doesn't make sense. A win is a win.
As has already been stated, the average attendance was skewed last year because of the Macclesfield game. And we are yet to play Linnets & Witton which will have bigger crowds and increase the average attendance.

What is better...winning ugly or losing with style? I'd take the points any day.

Comparing the style of play to the Counties league doesn't help. The higher up the structure you go, the more difficult it is to play that kind of football. Especially with the budgets that we operate with. We have to cut out cloth accordingly. If people decide they don't want to go to games until the 'quality' of football is better, then that will have an adverse effect on the club as lower attendances will create lower revenue.

Me and my girlfriend brought 10 people to the Mossley game last year. Was it a positive result? No. Did we play well? Not really. Do they want to come again when we can arrange it? Yes.
We have the benefits of being able to have a beer and watch the game. And yes, the beer money doesn't come to us, but the gate does. And the extra food that was bought. It's a good afternoon out with mates and, if they aren't as invested in the result, a loss won't put them off coming again when, they might be more invested and decide they want to come more regularly.
At what point have I disregarded the wins? At what point have I said them wins mean nothing? Yes, 3 points are 3 points. But the point I’m making is the 3 points do not excuse the sub par performances.

If the management can see things aren’t working, and they haven’t been for a long time then it’s their job to change it, if we lose a player to higher paying team, it’s their job to replace them, it’s their job to get the best out of the players. Can you honestly say that they have done this?

Well done for bringing 10 fans to a game, that’s great for you and the club. But it doesn’t stop our attendances overall dwindling down.

Goody loves a good quote and a fitting one would be “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.”

I think this perfectly sums up the frustrations of a lot of fans. We aren’t asking for tiki taka football. It just doesn’t come across that anything is being drilled in training or that we work on the best formation/style for us in pre-season. What do we see week in week out to counter this judgement? You don’t need a technically gifted squad to press your opponents and put them on the back foot but we do the opposite and drop everyone in zonally inviting pressure which clearly doesn’t and hasn’t been working for a long time.

Comparing the style of play to the Counties league doesn't help. The higher up the structure you go, the more difficult it is to play that kind of football. Especially with the budgets that we operate with.
I get the notion of your point, but if we remember back to our Vase/FA Cup runs of a few years back - we were not only competing with, but playing most teams off the park who had bigger budgets and were in leagues above us. A massive part was simply our setup.

Why did this happen? Goody and Bows came in, We had an identity, it was clear what the managers were after from the team and we were devastating with Taylor and Whitlock on the wings and McGowan up top. We were always a threat from corners and free kicks - because we were always prepared and worked on things in training.

We don’t see anything of the sorts anymore, which is why I, like many others feel the management are completely out of ideas to try and sort this mess out.

If we had a change in management, and a fresh impetus, would we see an increase in fans coming back that are staying away??? - my personal feelings are a strong yes, yes we would.
No it wouldn't make any difference because the new manager/managers would have to work within the same restrictions as the current managers, there might be the initial bounce back period of a new manager but that will soon wear off and then fans will have the same complaints again

At what point have I disregarded the wins? At what point have I said them wins mean nothing? Yes, 3 points are 3 points. But the point I’m making is the 3 points do not excuse the sub par performances.

If the management can see things aren’t working, and they haven’t been for a long time then it’s their job to change it, if we lose a player to higher paying team, it’s their job to replace them, it’s their job to get the best out of the players. Can you honestly say that they have done this?

Well done for bringing 10 fans to a game, that’s great for you and the club. But it doesn’t stop our attendances overall dwindling down.
If we hadn't of lost the players we have from last year's team and they were still in our current team I would agree that that is on the managers, however they have brought in a number of lads who are in the 18-22 range (Eric is 17) and they are just learning the game at a senior level so it takes time and patience, I myself was critical of the young nature of the squad at the start of the season and felt that we needed a few more older experienced players to go with Matt and Jonah to help guide the new young lads, however this is the position that we are in and these are the players that the managers have been able to bring in and so we need to get on with it

No it wouldn't make any difference because the new manager/managers would have to work within the same restrictions as the current managers, there might be the initial bounce back period of a new manager but that will soon wear off and then fans will have the same complaints again
A new manager would bring in fresh ideas, new contacts (assuming they have some) and an unbiased view on the current squad we have meaning every player must play for their spot and perform or lose their place. So new manager would bring things to the table in my opinion.

Reactions: Ben
If we hadn't of lost the players we have from last year's team and they were still in our current team I would agree that that is on the managers, however they have brought in a number of lads who are in the 18-22 range (Eric is 17) and they are just learning the game at a senior level so it takes time and patience, I myself was critical of the young nature of the squad at the start of the season and felt that we needed a few more older experienced players to go with Matt and Jonah to help guide the new young lads, however this is the position that we are in and these are the players that the managers have been able to bring in and so we need to get on with it
I understand your point, but it has to be pointed out that the management have chosen to sign these young players who are still learning the game instead of seeking experience which is so valuable if you have a young squad. Someone who can mentor the young lads. So on the flip side of what you’ve said, the management can be blamed for not replacing the lads we’ve lost with similar quality.

I use it as an example because if more people were to do that, it would definitely make a difference when it comes to crowds.
A lot of the youth players go off playing football during the game and they still count towards the attendance. Why not have more neutrals involved?

Would it be an idea to have a 'Bring as many people as you can day' to a specific home game? Get people talking and then if a small percentage decide to come again...It's still more money through the gate and more revenue / budget into the club in the long run.

I understand your point, but it has to be pointed out that the management have chosen to sign these young players who are still learning the game instead of seeking experience which is so valuable if you have a young squad. Someone who can mentor the young lads. So on the flip side of what you’ve said, the management can be blamed for not replacing the lads we’ve lost with similar quality.
They have looked at signing experience. But when other clubs can just offer £100 / £200 a week more without blinking, then it isn't a surprise that the experience signs for those clubs.
Boost the Budget will come into play and that will enable us to look at signing more experience.

If we want a 20 goal a season striker, then that costs money. If we want more money then, to a certain extent, it's on us to be creative and come up with revenue boosting ideas. The committee have been up front and open about it. All ideas are welcome if it's for the good of the club.

If we want a 20 goal a season striker, then that costs money. If we want more money then, to a certain extent, it's on us to be creative and come up with revenue boosting ideas. The committee have been up front and open about it. All ideas are welcome if it's for the good of the club.
No one comes up with ideas because when they do its 95% of time is a no so what's the point

If we want more money then, to a certain extent, it's on us to be creative and come up with revenue boosting ideas. The committee have been up front and open about it. All ideas are welcome if it's for the good of the club.
Can we leaflet the Witton game? Always said the catchment in Winnington urban village is perfect if people can give time to post them around. Plenty of young and/or new to area families.

I’m sure I could find some time to post some if the club want to go down this route. I know the witton game will already naturally bring in neutrals, but why not aim to maximise as much as we can. I’m sure any other locals areas people would be willing to post would help too

No one comes up with ideas because when they do its 95% of time is a no so what's the point
We now have a Fantasy Football League that has raised about £250 for the club.
We're looking at building on the Hush scarves collaboration.

If anyone has any additional ideas, feel free to let me know. Myself and Jane being the Commercial Managers are looking at any and all means of building revenue.

Can we leaflet the Witton game? Always said the catchment in Winnington urban village is perfect if people can give time to post them around. Plenty of young and/or new to area families.

I’m sure I could find some time to post some if the club want to go down this route. I know the witton game will already naturally bring in neutrals, but why not aim to maximise as much as we can. I’m sure any other locals areas people would be willing to post would help too
I'm pretty sure that we aren't allowed to canvas around Barnton as part of the tenancy agreement. But everywhere else is fair game. Could look at getting an A4 notice or some flyers in the bars as well. I've spoken to Salty Dog in the past and they seemed ok with having leaflets on the bar.

Could look at getting a record attendance on Boxing Day for it?

Could use the underage teams and have them on a supervised flyering session?

I wonder if accessing the internet to promote the club might be more fruitful including websites specially for the Northwich area such as Northwich Life to complement any leafletting or canvassing.

We now have a Fantasy Football League that has raised about £250 for the club.
We're looking at building on the Hush scarves collaboration.

If anyone has any additional ideas, feel free to let me know. Myself and Jane being the Commercial Managers are looking at any and all means of building revenue.
If whoever is in charge of the fantasy football could drop me some information, happy to join and pay towards it if it’s a paid league.

Back