• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Atherton

Andy

Too much time on my hands
Politics 5
Jul 28, 2013
Why on earth didn't Sakeel and Woods start?! Stupid starting 11 cost us the match.

Removed as not meant to cause offence to other supporters.

Last edited:
If it wasn't for that wonder save in the last minute we would have won a game which we probably wouldn't have deserved to win. Thoughts Colls came with a game plan and it nearly worked but fairplay to Streety for the triple substitution in trying to win the game.

I had said recently that Streety would have a tough job on his hands with the squad. Keeping players interested, and picking the right eleven.
Thought he got it totally wrong today. Disappointed to see such a defensive set up. So narrow with hardly any pace or a player who could get behind their defence. Colls are very workmanlike, strong in the central areas but average out wide and at fullback positions vulnerable. It really was crying out for Daley Woods or Sakeel to stretch the game.

Quite fortunate that Colls had very little quality when they broke away, we had just Lee Jones in the middle of the park and five forwards once the subs had been made.

I think we have probably realised our "ceiling" crowd whilst at Winsford. Such a shame that the footballing advert has not been good when the highlight games have been chosen. That Formby game was a killer.

Lets get real. Daley Woods has been awfull for a number of games now, dont know if he is carrying an injury, but something is not right. Sakeel Abdulla has not been playing regular football and is probably not fully match fit. I know that we are all brilliant touchline managers, but lets give Streety some credit. He's not done to bad so far. Colls are not a bad side, niether are we and we do not have devine right to win all games. Lets look at where we started this season from, and focus on where we want to go. Rome was not built in a day.

On a more positive note Streety has asked for vocal and noisy support from the Green Army to encourage and motivate our team and today he got it.

The drum, Vuvuzelas, rattles and chants of "Green Army" seemed to lift our team in the hunt for the final killer goal.

Lets give them and our fans some credit for a nail biting and exciting finish when we could have won the game had we been luckier and lets continue with or without without vuvuzelas to support OUR team.

Echoing SteveR lets just remember what heartache we have been through in the last 18 months and where we are now.

Don't forget how far we've come - we took 6 points from the first 5 games.
If we do miss out on promotion it's points lost at the beginning when we were building a side from scratch that will have cost us.

Don't forget how far we've come - we took 6 points from the first 5 games.
If we do miss out on promotion it's points lost at the beginning when we were building a side from scratch that will have cost us.
Exactly. A descent pre season with an established squad and hopefuly next season the sky is the limit.
Thats not to say we should give up on this one. #COYG By the fans, for the fans.

Lets be honest, Atherton came for a draw and got it! Matt was a spectator 90% of the game! What is wrong with Matt ward and rick Bailey? Not had a good game in weeks!!!! Why didn't sakeel start???

Only players that can take any credit are the entire back four, all very good agin and lee jones, the rest were very very poor! We need a response from the team Tuesday!

I do not like to criticize the official's,but will someone please tell them that all the ball must be over the line for it to be out of play.Twice in the first half,once for Atherton and once for 1874 the linesman gave it out when the ball was not even half over the line,and once in the second half when the same official gave a goal kick when the ball was not all over the line,1874 scored and the goal did not stand.I know anyone can make a mistake but three times is not on.

I've never really criticized him before but I believe that the manager is 100% to blame for us not taking the three points yesterday, Atherton obviously came to purposely spoil the game but the tactics on our part were ridiculous, It's bin said before that Atherton are a very strong and physical side so surely it would of made sense to but some pace into the team and test out their full backs instead of just lumping the ball forward to Brandon (whilst everybody else just stands still and don't get forward to help him) who was made to look stupid by their two centre halves who won't have had an easier day all season, when we got the equalizer and made the triple substitution we FINALLY put them under pressure with pace and movement but it shouldn't of took 80 minutes for that to happen, Hanley is a must win now and then also the Formby game is vital if we are gonna get promotion which I believe is too hard to achieve now.

I still have belief in the manager and players though, I just believe that we were tactically awful yesterday.

Josh I do agree with you 100% he isnt going to get right everytime but with what ian has done with us this season has been sensational, its a shame we had an off day yesterday
But like edge says we have come so far, maybe staying in this league another season isnt such a bad thing? Personally i would love to be celebrating a promotion or even a title but iv said to a few people that we have to acknowledge that is the first time in years for us where football in the pitch will be the winner and not off field shinanigans!!!

Blimey Charlie, a lot of differing views in one thread, it's amazing how we can all have such widely different opinions of the same football match!

I actually think we were pretty good yesterday and the second half was a terrific advert for our league - love this club, and love the fact that we all made the right decision 16 months ago. On to Tuesday.:scarf:

I wasn't at the game so can't comment on the performance but I think what we have achieved in our first season as a new club needs to be put into context. The lads are still in with a very realistic chance of promotion and had won nine of their last ten league games coming into the match yesterday. One draw against fourth in the league doesn't make us a bad side and mean our promotion chase is over.

Under normal circumstances, a win and a draw against promotion rivals would be hailed as a successful outcome. It is just unfortunate that Nelson and to a lesser extent Formby seem to have forgotten how to drop points. There's nothing we can do about that, though, so we just have to concentrate on doing our best in the remaining games we have.
3rd would in no way be a failure, but of course we'd be disappointed after building ourselves up for the final push, that's only natural.

I think that Ian probably started with Ryan Stewart and Stuart Wellstead as they may be more physically strong for the battle with Colls. I don't know if the pacy subs had started if they could have contained the strength of Colls. Daley Woods had his best game since the first few weeks following his signing, seemed to want to really push on and take the defenders on.

November 2012 - we started with absolutely nothing. Zilch!
August 2013 - we played our first competitve game.
April 2014 - we try and finish as high as we can, after an amazing season.

We are lucky to have Ian as our Manager, no doubt about that. You won't find a harder working gaffer, I can assure you of that. He has assembled a fantastic set of lads, who do their very best for US. Ian and the boys are 1874 through and through, just like the rest of us.

We have an amazing Club with amazing people linked to it, from the Board Room to the terraces.

We have 300 plus 'Managers' on the terraces. How terrific is that, what fantastic numbers.

It has been more than I had hoped for. Whatever position we finish in......we've already won!

Totally agree Vicki,we could not have asked for more.We have achieved more than any of use could have hoped for at the start of the season.Well done Ian and all the lads who have turned out for us.Also all the fans who have supported the team,the only way we are going is up.

Back