• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

1874 vs Irlam 8/10/13

Jack Owen

Too much time on my hands
Aug 4, 2013
Excited for tonights game! Should be a higher attendance than on Saturday because we are back to the league, against 5th placed Irlam FC, the last time we played Irlam was our first away day of the season and we got a very hard working point.

1874 Squad:

Matty Conkie (GK)

Jack McKay, Ryan Mitchel, Paul Bowyer, Danny Thomas, Craig Farnworth, Lee Duckworth, Dave Tickle

Ryan Barry, Ryan Stewart, Adam Foy, Rick Bailey, Lee Jones, Ste Crane, Stuart Wellstead, Steve Warburton, Ryan Broadhead

Phil Coffin, Tom Peers, Dean McGregor and Mike Brandon

Prices: Adults £5, Concessions £3 and U12 FREE

Programmes:
With Me in the 1874 Shed and all Merchandise with Pam in the big red 1874 Shop!

Hope to see a good attendance and another 1874 win!:scarf:

0-0 in front of 288.

Best home performance I've seen this season. More fight & battle from the front & midfield and Stu Wellstead a deserved MoM.

We should have won given the chances we missed, but then again they had a few very good chances as well.

Much improved performance on the last 2 games, but still lacking a goal scorer. Too many missed chances.

Much improved performance on the last 2 games, but still lacking a goal scorer. Too many missed chances.
Far too many missed chances, this is why we drop points as we don't have the composure (or luck) in front of goal.
Our football style is so frustrating to watch for the majority of the game.
Thought Irlam looked lively tonight to their credit, passed and moved well, pressed us off the ball at times in midfield and attack.
Referee had a mare again.....

On the plus side, at least we shared out the missed chances :)

Definitely the best home performance I've seen as well.

We had the chances to win but so did Irlam. Irlam are a good side with a lot of pace going forward especially. Another decent draw against one of the better teams in this league.

Not a bad crowd for a Tuesday night game either.

Good game overall, very entertaining 0-0 draw, I think that subs need to be made, like they should of tonight, around the 75 minute mark to give them a chance to make an impact.

I was impressed tonight with the whole team apart from Matty Ward, after a very impressive debut away vs Ashton Town, he seems very distant from the play at times and is off the pace, which is a massive shame.

Stuart Wellstead was fantastic and showed a lot of pace and determination to get to each and every 1st and 2nd ball, Mike Brandon was dominant in the air once again but lacked tonight in the cutting edge in front of goal.

Danny and Craig at CB were solid as always, Danny played some fantastic passes out from the back at times.

So overall I think the lads are starting to get used to playing on our home ground and to think we still are without Ian, who is on holiday and had no Rick Bailey in the starting 11, a point is a very deserved one.

i think what we are lacking is genuine pace up front against the better teams were struggling to break them down.
its no use mike winning the ball in the air and he wins most, and never getting on the end of it

a perfect example would be the irlam no 10 genuine pace if he or someone like him was at the side of Brandon
we would see a much better goals for column
at the moment were just a little one paced and to predictable.

there is nothing wrong at the back as we have the best goals against column in the league
the worry is we have scored only one goal in the last three 90 mins of football and that was in added time against 9 men.

the only other thing is i think we are short of a physical presence in midfield we have decent footballers in there but
they are on the small side and never win the ball in the air.
at the moment i think we are 2 players short of being the best team in the league
and a genuine force to be reckoned with.
to sum it all up a new team with only 14 league games behind them is a very good work in progress

Last edited:
Referee had a mare again.....
Really!!
Thought that he was the best I've seen in this league so far.
Let the game flow, was even with both sides, talked to the players not at them.
Any other ref would probably sent Conkie of but he used common sense as the player was going away from goal.
Apart from booking Brandon for going off for treatment without letting him know, thought he and his assistants were very good.
Perhaps I was just watching with both eyes!!:confused:

Have to agree about Matty Ward.
He reminded me of a spoilt child cause things weren't going his way.
Moaning at the ref, jumping in at players and no effort to win the ball back when he lost it.
If we are to challenge this season we need players giving 100% every game.
Not a team player in my books. :(

Last edited:
Tend to agree with those opinions on Ward, I never saw his first game for us but I was led to believe we have a 'great' player for this level, unfortunately from what i've seen from him he seems to cause us more problems than he does the opposition when losing the ball, not tracking back etc.

I guess it's all about perspectives re the referee, I see your point about Conkie but there was more than 1 covering defender back there so red would have been harsh on him.

He also missed their No. 14 swing a punch at the end which we saw from 90 yards.

i think what we are lacking is genuine pace up front against the better teams were struggling to break them down.
its no use mike winning the ball in the air and he wins most, and never getting on the end of it

a perfect example would be the irlam no 10 genuine pace if he or someone like him was at the side of Brandon
we would see a much better goals for column
at the moment were just a little one paced and to predictable.

there is nothing wrong at the back as we have the best goals against column in the league
the worry is we have scored only one goal in the last three 90 mins of football and that was in added time against 9 men.

the only other thing is i think we are short of a physical presence in midfield we have decent footballers in there but
they are on the small side and never win the ball in the air.
at the moment i think we are 2 players short of being the best team in the league
and a genuine force to be reckoned with.
to sum it all up a new team with only 14 league games behind them is a very good work in progress

Tend to agree, and can see that the players have been frustrated - hence the change on Tuesday to 4-4-2 when the manager wasn't there. Missing a player in the centre of the pitch and whilst there has been no out-and-out goalscorer up there, I would like to see Tom Peers given a chance up front with Mike with Stuart and Matty Ward from the wings. Should go on a run of victories til the Nelson game now.

Need to watch out for the ringers though next Wednesday!

Quite a few of Vics players have dual registration with NFV!! How do you think they beat Hanley!

It will be very interesting to say the least.

I tend to agree Alan and also expect a substantial increase in the price of admission, refreshments, and anything else that JR can think of.

I tend to agree Alan and also expect a substantial increase in the price of admission, refreshments, and anything else that JR can think of.

Tony,

Not sure (even if he wanted to) that JRFC can increase the admission prices as wouldn't this have to be agreed and provided to the league prior to the start of the season... with regards to the increase in everything else... i would hope the 1874'ers have already decided they would not be spending anything other than their admission next week....

Just hope we take as many as possble to back our team and show what a massive success it is.
As for the NFV team I also suspect that a few non regulars will play.

Just hope we take as many as possble to back our team and show what a massive success it is.
As for the NFV team I also suspect that a few non regulars will play.

Let him do his worst, he'll never beat us down, his whole life consists of cheating with lies, deception and debt, he might have a giggle but we'll have the last laugh :) :) :)

I agree with pdw. It would be great if we could take more away fans than their made up figure for home fans.

Back