• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

1874 v Rochdale

Ok after a long sleep, maybe we have been harsh on the players. They demolished a prem div team the wk before so they are obviously not bad players and we shouldn't be pointing the figure and individuals, myself included. I'm sure all the players mentioned above will read this and my message is simple, keep on working hard and I'm sure we as a club can get there.

Lets get back to winning ways on Wednesday.

By the way is Steve Crane injured? Why hasn't he been playing lately, out of interest.

Squires Gate went to Maine Road yesterday (top of the Prem) and turned them over, so it shows what a fantastic result and performance it was from our lads last week. They are very capable, but they are bound to have 'off days' for whatever reason and we know that they will not 'win them all'. I know that our fans will be there to support the boys 'come what may' as we all appreciate the great strides that have been taken in just 3 months on the park.

Onwards and upwards to Flixton, then Holker. Now the '74 :scarf:

Ok after a long sleep, maybe we have been harsh on the players. They demolished a prem div team the wk before so they are obviously not bad players and we shouldn't be pointing the figure and individuals, myself included. I'm sure all the players mentioned above will read this and my message is simple, keep on working hard and I'm sure we as a club can get there.

Lets get back to winning ways on Wednesday.

By the way is Steve Crane injured? Why hasn't he been playing lately, out of interest.
Steve has just come back from holiday and with Jones and Foy playing so well cant force his way back in to squad.

I think some of the broad stroke statements about the performance are a bit harsh - Matty, Stu and Mike B all did enough to deserve their goals and the forward line can be disappointed that their three goals weren't enough to win the game.

Can't disagree that the full-backs were found wanting far too often yesterday - more often than not the wrong side of their man and there was far too much dithering on the ball - but then I actually thought that Rochdale didn't look half bad. Certainly once it got to 3-3 there was only ever going to be one winner. Their big number 11 gave us trouble all game. Everything came through him - a midfield target man!

So since the season kick-off, I've seen five games - one win, four losses; all three in the league and at Oldham in the Vase.

Shirt's going back in the cupboard for a while! I think it's for the best!

Having had time to reflect on yesterday there were a few things that I think need saying.
1. We don't want manager of the month again!!
2. We did not do our homework on both the pitch and the opposition(Won 3 out of last 4)
3. It was an awful day for the weather. That said, the first half yesterday, as last week, went ok against the wind, but the second half's performance was a million miles away from last week's second half.

I do not want to put too much blame on the manager but there were a few things that mystified me.

When you saw the pitch and the wind why did we not adapt to it? It is no use trying to play through the middle of the park when it is difficult to keep hold of the ball on that surface. All their threatening forward play came from them hitting space behind our defence especially the full backs. They hardly passed it to feet. Why did we not do that??
Why is Duckworth playing in the middle of the defence when Bowyer is on the bench. More organisation I'm sure would have been evident. On that same note Ryan Stewart is not the best full back, both Duckworth and Jack McKay are better in this position. Ryan Mitchell unfortunately had his worst game of the season getting the wrong side of his winger on numerous occasions. Shame really as I thought he was really coming on.

Also when we were chasing the game, why did Jack come on in midfield when we have a midfielder at full back and another on the bench?

I have not seen anything yet from Newman that inspires me about him, perhaps I need to be patient, but was he the answer to score on Saturday when we needed something?

On a positive note I thought Matty Ward played well and but for a stupid Liner decision might have had another goal. Brandon again did well especially after his "own goal of the season". Conkie where were you!!

Perhaps we should put it down to a bad day at the office and move on!!

What about the blatant pen in the first half,(poor referee all game)

I too demanded a penalty and as I found myself sat next to the ref's assessor I asked for his opinion. Was told no foul and he went on to describe something like legitimate leaning.

Since when has pulling the shirt been leaning and then the ref gave them a foul for legitimate leaning by our player.if that's the best the assessor could come up with,he must have been the ref's dad.

I agree that Rochdale's pitch and the weather were bad on Saturday but the conditions were the same for both teams, albeit Rochdale knew how to play on their pitch with home advantage. Yes, it was a dissappointing result for 1874 and really we should have won the game scoring 3 goals away if it had not been for some bad defending for their 3 and 4 goals. I know from speaking to all the players after the game that they were gutted to have lost the game, but it is just one bad result and hopefully this will be followed by another winning run of games, starting with Holker on Saturday. The Holker game will mark the mid point of our season and if we win the game , then we have averaged 2 points a game over the first half of the season, promotion form in my book if we can have an equally suceessful 2nd half to the season. Onwards and Upwards for the 1874. Keep the faith and keep on supporting our club and the team.

We'll have to get used to playing on potato fields, especially over the next few months!

Reactions: Ben
Back