• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Xmas Quiz

Edge

Administrator
Forum Staff
5 Game Player
Jun 24, 2013
Before Football Existed...

1 Who was the only outfield player to play in all of Leeds’ 42 league games in 1991-92?

2 1986-87 was the last season in which two players scored 40+ goals in all competitions for a top-flight club –
name the players.

3 Which ground hosted the 1922 FA Cup final – the last one before the showpiece moved to Wembley
Stadium?

4 Which three clubs have played in the English top-flight in the 1990s, but never in the Premier League?

5 Who, in 1968, became the first player to score in every round from the third to the final of the FA Cup?

6 Who were the last club to win the English top-flight under the two points for a win system?

7 Name the six clubs to have played only one top-flight season (including Premier League).

1. I believe it was the era of the 2 Gary’s (Speed and McAllister). I’ll go for Gary McAllister.
3. Stamford Bridge

1. Chris Whyte
2. Clive Allen and Ian Rush
3.Crystal Palace
4. Notts County , Millwall and Luton
5. Jeff Astle
6. Liverpool
7. Carlisle, Swindon, Barnsley,

7. Glossop (nb. I recall being told that Glossop were the smallest town to have been represented in football’s top division).

Didn't think there was an outfield player who played all 42 think Gary Mcallister played 41 with 1 sub appearance so maybe a trick question. John Lukic the goalkeeper played all 42.

Last edited:
1. I believe it was the era of the 2 Gary’s (Speed and McAllister). I’ll go for Gary McAllister. Correct
3. Stamford Bridge - Correct

1. Chris Whyte
2. Clive Allen and Ian Rush - Half Correct
3.Crystal Palace Wrong
4. Notts County , Millwall and Luton Correct
5. Jeff Astle Correct
6. Liverpool Wrong
7. Carlisle, Swindon, Barnsley Correct,

2. Clive Allen & Gary Lineker Half Correct

7. Glossop (nb. I recall being told that Glossop were the smallest town to have been represented in football’s top division). Correct

Didn't think there was an outfield player who played all 42 think Gary Mcallister played 41 with 1 sub appearance so maybe a trick question. John Lukic the goalkeeper played all 42.Correct

That first question has got me puzzled. Trying to think of all the good goalscorers of that era and theyve all been mentioned. The only others I can think of is John Aldridge or maybe Frank McCavenie who had a couple of decent seasons around that time at West Ham

oops
@Charliebel said:

2. Clive Allen and Ian Rush - Half Correct -> Actually totally correct :oops:

Still missing a couple of these
7 Name the six clubs to have played only one top-flight season (including Premier League).

Correct @toddyb

Full answers

1 Who was the only outfield player to play in all of Leeds’ 42 league games in 1991-92?
Gary McAllister

5.1986-87 was the last season in which two players scored 40+ goals in all competitions for a top-flight club – name the players.
Ian Rush and Clive Allen

3 Which ground hosted the 1922 FA Cup final – the last one before the showpiece moved to Wembley Stadium?
Stamford Bridge

4 Which three clubs have played in the English top-flight in the 1990s, but never in the Premier League?
1. Millwall
2. Notts County
3. Luton Town

5 Who, in 1968, became the first player to score in every round from the third to the final of the FA Cup?
Jeff Astle

6 Who were the last club to win the English top-flight under the two points for a win system?
Aston Villa, 1980-81

1. 1899-90: Glossop
2. 1962-63: Leyton Orient
3. 1965-66: Northampton Town
4. 1974-75: Carlisle United
5. 1993-94: Swindon Town
6. 1997-98: Barnsley

Very good.

One further Xmas Quiz question in the lead up to Christmas:
Q8. Which international defender scored a hat-trick in a Premier / First Division match, with each goal being scored against a different goalkeeper. Name 1). the scorer; 2). the opposition; 3). final match score; plus a bonus point if you can name all 3 goal 'minders'.

Thanks Richard.
This is a great question!
A complicated Google search finds the answer and even shows the highlights!

A couple of clues for those who have yet to find the answer online, the match in question took place in the old 1st Division in April 1986. And, coincidentally, the 2 sides are due to play each other in the Premier League tomorrow.

Back