• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Wittons future

The replication of St George's park isn't in any way a snide dig at 1874. Its a genuine question about how it will be funded without sucking resources away from the existing clubs. You can decide as is your right to go there, but that money will be sucked up into this commercial (not FA funded?) venture and will not be spent at Barnton or Winsford or any other club that you may have chosen. Hence that funding is lost to local football. To what benefit? I don't know the answer, i am just flagging that this is a deeper issue than first appears. Why do we need a major facility that draws down on the resources from local football and perhaps gives nothing back in return? What would your contribution go to meet and for what overall benefit?

We/You have to stop looking at every challenge as a direct attack on each respective club and chose a course of action that sustains and enhances local football. On the face of it, it seems a no-brainer for 1874 to go to this facility. In terms of benefit to local football, I am not so sure. Scale down expectations? A club without ambition is dead in the water.

Is all lost at WAFC ? No certainly not. Can we make it better? Yes we can. Do we need to look hard at what we do? Yes we do. Can we learn from what others are doing? Yes we can. Can we carry on as we are? Yes - but for how long is the question we all need to answer.

You have many Question's Knutsfordian,But not many answer's.

Is one to read that you are a WA supporter in your comments ?, if so, please give it a rest, Knutsfordonian, we are definitely not interested in the problems that other clubs may have, 74 is our club and if any problems may arise in the future we will rectify.

Seems that the new Stadium is obviously a major concern of yours, why, have your club been asked for funding?.

To perhaps answer (partly) your Q about "why do we need a major facility ..." - I think it is not a matter of "us" (as in mid-Cheshire football) needing it, it is a development aimed at women's football in the area and even nationally. "We" (as in 1874) are just seeking to piggyback on the opportunities offered, and it would be extremely remiss of us not to do so. Yes, I fully get the point about this having the unfortunate result of sucking our groundshare rental money out of local football, but that shouldn't be a reason to turn down the prospect. In that respect, we also tick your other box about a club needing to have ambition. It is a bit of geographical good fortune. If the FA had decided to build this facility down here I am convinced that one of my two local teams (Poole Town) would be jumping at the chance of escaping from their current converted school playing field.

None of this solves the problems raised by yourself and Tez about the general decline in local interest, though. But that's nothing new, and if anyone had the answers I'm sure they would have come forward by now. Personally, I am quite surprised at the decline in WA gates and would have thought you had the potential for better support, but I don't know what initiatives etc you've tried to attract people (back), and in that regard it's not my problem. Same for NV gates - there are plenty of interested observers locally keeping an eye on what is happening, but if they continue to massage the figures as they do then it will all end in tears at some point - with consequential damage possibly to WA finances (which is why their gates etc are relevant to a discussion focused on WA's future).

I reckon we should have a three-way merger.

We’re the brains of the outfit and have the knowhow and experience of running a sustainable football club.

Witton are the brawn; they have the ground.

Then Vics have.... yeah maybe not!

Ok - just lets reset the dial.

Gates - yes they are important. The lifeblood of a club and probably the best indicator about the health of any club. My comment about gates being a minor issues was only in the context of being set against the question of whether 1874 and NVFC should reform as one team, which seem to have been missed in the response to that question that focused on the gates.

I understand the background for the new development being primarily around womens' football but also providing an opportunity for 1874 to gain access to a high standard complex for a future home, wherever that may be. That's 1874's prerogative to go there and a commercial discussion for 1874 and CFA.

So where does that take us? Each club has a sustainable future based on their current position, gates, funding and a pitch to play on.

For me, the bigger question is given the continued decline in local football whether we will all settle for what we have or if collectively we have any ambition? Given another turn of the handle of time, we will see even less support for local teams and the worry is that we see teams stuck in lower non league leagues with dwindling gates and most local spectators getting buses to premier league games. In this I agree with Tez. My question is then do we all accept this or try and do something different?

My question about the new FA complex is that given its not an FA funded complex (as I understand it) then the the privately funded initiative will require the venture to make a profit. That could suck yet more resources from all the local sports teams as money is sucked into the new venture to pay the upkeep maintenance etc. I have never seen any re-assurance that this venture will be be self funding without having a detrimental affect on other local clubs. If this is incorrect, feel free to post the correction

If the new complex is open to all, why wouldn't the facility be open to Vics, or even WAFC for that matter? I am not aware that it is the sole prerogative of 1874 to play there.

In reality I suspect WAFC will stay put at Wincham Park and look for other opportunities to raise funds. Will they survive at their current level? Well we have had a couple of spells in the lower levels of Evostick, so who knows. Clearly 3 Northwich teams in North West Counties isn't a prospect to relish, but maybe that would just prompt local football supporters to do something about it - that's if there are any left !!

Knutsfordian why don't you set the ball rolling and get out there and do something instead of just talking about it?.

Gates - yes they are important. The lifeblood of a club and probably the best indicator about the health of any club. My comment about gates being a minor issues was only in the context of being set against the question of whether 1874 and NVFC should reform as one team, which seem to have been missed in the response to that question that focused on the gates.

I understand the background for the new development being primarily around womens' football but also providing an opportunity for 1874 to gain access to a high standard complex for a future home, wherever that may be. That's 1874's prerogative to go there and a commercial discussion for 1874 and CFA.

So where does that take us? Each club has a sustainable future based on their current position, gates, funding and a pitch to play on.

For me, the bigger question is given the continued decline in local football whether we will all settle for what we have or if collectively we have any ambition? Given another turn of the handle of time, we will see even less support for local teams and the worry is that we see teams stuck in lower non league leagues with dwindling gates and most local spectators getting buses to premier league games. In this I agree with Tez. My question is then do we all accept this or try and do something different?

My question about the new FA complex is that given its not an FA funded complex (as I understand it) then the the privately funded initiative will require the venture to make a profit. That could suck yet more resources from all the local sports teams as money is sucked into the new venture to pay the upkeep maintenance etc. I have never seen any re-assurance that this venture will be be self funding without having a detrimental affect on other local clubs. If this is incorrect, feel free to post the correction

I went to a meeting at Winnington recreation club prior to the 1874 AGM the infoemation from the Cheshire FA was clear it would be funded by them and any proifit from the complex would go back into grass roots football.

Knutsfordian I know this is a discussion forum and you do a lot of discussing,the point I was making why don't you get out there and put your discussing into action or do you want other people to do the action's while you do the discussing .

Back