• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Widnes Saturday March 26th

richard webb

I Live Here
Aug 7, 2013
Information, or as much as I can get, on Widnes for Saturday.

ClubWidnes FC
Game DateSaturday 26th March
Game time3pm
Ground addressDCBL Stadium, Widnes, Cheshire, WA8 7DZ
Home coloursWhite shirts, black shorts, black socks
DirectionsFrom Northwich, the shortest, and quickest, route is over the Mersay gateway bridge (15m, 30 mins). Take 2nd exit on the north side SP town centre (Stadium is often signed). At bottom turn right and then right at next lights to go under the Gateway road. Fork left after passing under bridge and the ground is on the right after about ¼ mile.
Parking facilitiesAt ground (limited spaces)
Railway stationWidnes (about 1.25 miles)
Bus
Admission PricesAdults £8, Concessions £4, Under16s Free. All supporters are to gain entry via turnstiles SE1 and SE2
Programme price£2
Disabled access and toiletsYes, please ask stewards for assistance
CarersAre carers for disabled fans allowed in free?
Food at groundConcourse bar sells snacks also available in legends bar.
Drinks at groundKeg and bottles.
Local restaurants
Are dogs allowedAssistance dogs only.
Local pubsBranch Pubs - Halton CAMRA shows 2 pubs between the station and the ground, the Crown (2 changing hand pumps) and the Horse & Jockey (Doom Bar and Landlord). There is a Wetherspoons (Premier) in the town centre
Local places of interestCatalyst Museum.

Not a classic but a good point and fair result. Thought we were better side for good periods of the game and could have won but for an iffy attempt at a save from Tony. Apart from an excellent penalty save he wasn’t at his best today. Made a few poor decisions - but I’ll forgive him !!!!
Very impressed with Matty Fenton.

Agree that Matty Fenton had a great game and for me was the standout player ... too many having an off day today....

Agree that Matty Fenton had a great game and for me was the standout player ... too many having an off day today....
Apart from Taylor who over the last few months has certainly proved me wrong in doubting his application and ability.

#backinmybox!

Not a classic but a good point and fair result. Thought we were better side for good periods of the game and could have won but for an iffy attempt at a save from Tony. Apart from an excellent penalty save he wasn’t at his best today. Made a few poor decisions - but I’ll forgive him !!!!
Very impressed with Matty Fenton.
Both sides were pretty average IMHO. But apart from the bottom 2 and top 5 I think that most of the other sides are much of a muchness.

But I’d have taken a point beforehand, so we can’t complain.

Matt Fenton looks some prospect! Holding onto him might be some challenge!

Strange bunch arent we .... lose and the forum is awash with negative comments, suggestions, "must do better" " not good enough", fear for our survival etc .Win and we get a bit giddy ( though invariably fewer posts than when we lose ) but now a draw against a workmanlike, percentage side who know how to compete in this league and barely a murmur ,indeed we appear none plussed !
Today was by no means a classic but we got a reasonably comfortable draw and controlled parts of the game without ever being allowed to have rip roaring scintillating play .I think we are learning how to pick up points in this league and play against sides that dont actually let you have your own way - they proved that at Townfield earlier in the season as have several sides .Sometimes its not going to be pretty but lets be realistic - budget ,resource, attendances, sugar daddys, own ground, club house, plastic revenue generating pitches, FA grants and FA Cup money apart- I think another honest hardworking point from a side that give it their best shot every week .
Well done lads, management. club officials and the 150 or so loyal greens there today , looking forward to Tuesday , all together now .
COYG

Hard earned point today. Wasn’t a classic but 4 points from the last 2 games against 4th and 12th isn’t bad.

On to Newcastle ?

Reactions: Tez
Strange bunch arent we .... lose and the forum is awash with negative comments, suggestions, "must do better" " not good enough", fear for our survival etc .Win and we get a bit giddy ( though invariably fewer posts than when we lose ) but now a draw against a workmanlike, percentage side who know how to compete in this league and barely a murmur ,indeed we appear none plussed !
Today was by no means a classic but we got a reasonably comfortable draw and controlled parts of the game without ever being allowed to have rip roaring scintillating play .I think we are learning how to pick up points in this league and play against sides that dont actually let you have your own way - they proved that at Townfield earlier in the season as have several sides .Sometimes its not going to be pretty but lets be realistic - budget ,resource, attendances, sugar daddys, own ground, club house, plastic revenue generating pitches, FA grants and FA Cup money apart- I think another honest hardworking point from a side that give it their best shot every week .
Well done lads, management. club officials and the 150 or so loyal greens there today , looking forward to Tuesday , all together now .
COYG
As you say, ‘Twas always this.

But as I said to quite a number of fellow 74 fans today, as far as this season, it is largely been job done.

We’ve learned a lot on and off the pitch, we’ll stay up with something to spare and we’ve given the lads who got us here a good shot at seeing if they can make the step up to playing at a higher level.

It will be interesting to see how many of these Bo and Goody think are part of of ours longer term future.

I’m sure that we all have our views on which players we should keep and whom might no longer be with us come next season. That’s certainly been the subject of many a conversation I’ve heard in various pubs and grounds in recent weeks.

But one thing is for sure (and this is despite our puzzlingly abject home form) every player who has pulled on a 74 shirt this season has given their all and apart from the home gubbing by Bootle, we’ve never been anywhere near bring dishraced.

And our away support has undoubtedly been one, if not the best in the league. If only other clubs brought to Townfield what we do to their home games

And our away support has undoubtedly been one, if not the best in the league. If only other clubs brought to Townfield what we do to their home games

Agreed, it’s quite noticeable. Near a train station? Lots of pubs? Places to eat? To be fair we are not a great away day.

Good point

Pretty much agree with the above a hard fought point in front of a good travelling support again, would also agree being based away from the town it is not a great away day but i doubt many teams would bring many more if we were in town.
Hopefully a good following tuesday then back home at last.
COYG.

Largely agree with the above. I’ve watched the team home and away this season like many others. Although there have been times where performances and results haven’t been good, there have also been some fantastic performances and results. Trafford away 5-2, Leek 2-1 away, Workington 2-2 away, there are more.

There haven’t been many games, other than the 5-0 home defeat to Bootle (even that was a decent first half) where we haven’t been in the game and at least competed. Other than Bootle we’ve not lost by more than a three-goal margin in any match I believe.

My point is we’ve largely been very competitive and held our own in this league, seemingly achieving what surely was our goal of staying up with a few games to spare. We really can’t ask any more of the lads and management in our first season at the highest level we’ve ever played at. There are some good teams in this league and the standard is undoubtedly better than that below. So I’m very proud of what we’ve achieved and hopefully we can push on next season.

No doubt there will be talk at the end of the season of who stays and goes and how much of the squad the managers want to keep as we build for what will be another tough season next year, but we’ve done our job this season and the team given 100 per cent effort in every game and that’s all we can ask.

Away support has also been brilliant from ourselves. Has to be the best in the league other than maybe Runcorn Linnets, who are flying near the top of the league unlike us. So a huge well done to the lads, management, fans, officials and anyone else who has made this the season it has been. Let’s now finish the season strongly with some good wins.

Up the 74! :scarf:

Last edited:
Again fair comments above.

Fenton again superb and must be learning loads from Jonah. For me proves we should blood more of the Under 21's before the end the season.

Another point gained which should see us safe now.

See everyone Tuesday.

Some great posts above which I completely agree with. It says a lot when we walked out of the stadium yesterday feeling slightly disappointed that we only came away with a point from a club that have won their last 5 home league games and who’s last defeat was on NYD against top of the league Warrington R……Widnes are a very good benchmark for the NPL West, workmanlike, organised and well drilled. Yesterday proved to me how far we have come as a club this season.
It is a pity our home form has been generally lacklustre and I have also been slightly baffled by team selection at times but the main priority has been achieved thanks to a dedicated team of managers,players and staff. We can look forward to next season with optimism and the exciting thought of probably 2 big derby matches. We should be proud of what we have achieved… COYG

Back