• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Where Would I Be.

Just wondered why a street and pub in Northwich would have been named after that particular part of Wales?
I know that back in the day builders would give names to roads that they built, often relating to their home town - there is a Winsford Road just round the corner from me in south east London.

Sorry barnton green got me guessing how does any of those names relate to a part of Wales?.
Richard it was on the junction of Water Street on London Road.

Hi Toddy
Penrhyn Castle is near to Bangor and I presumed it was linked to that but maybe there was a local family called Penrhyn?

Both answers are wrong.
All I can find out about Penrhyn Arms other than it's general history,is it had the coat of arms of Lord Penrhyn over it's door.

How amazing is google. I put in Lord Penrhyn and instantly found the family history (inevitably their wealth was based on slavery) and the link to Winnington through Hugh Warburton. Wonderful.

John Pennant (d. 1781) was a successful West India merchant in Liverpool, Britain's largest slaving port. He also invested in the salt industry, going into partnership with Colonel Hugh Warburton of Winnington, Cheshire, who, through his wife, owned half of what had been the medieval Penrhyn estate in North Wales. John and his son Richard (pictured) began buying the remainder of the estate, reuniting it when Richard married Colonel Warburton's daughter in 1767.

Clue 3
There is a similar business in the same place now.

Clue 4.
It's nick name was related to something off an animal.

The answer is Woolworths.
This is the last one till the closed season when I will start a new Quiz.

I would be having fun if I went there in the 1950's,but probably not if I was there after that.

Sorry all wrong.
Clue 2.
Think of your back pocket.

Back