• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Web app for the forum

Edge

Administrator
Forum Staff
5 Game Player
Jun 24, 2013
With the software upgrade we did the other day came a few new toys.

One of which is a Progressive Web App - stay with me while I cut & paste...

Progressive web what?

Okay, let's back up a little. Imagine a technology that allows a web site to appear and behave like an app without having to produce native code for each platform, or go through any vendor's App Store equivalent.

Progressive web apps, or PWAs, aim to bridge the gap between websites and native applications on both mobile and desktop devices using a series of emerging web standards

When browsing with Chrome on desktop or Android, the app can be installed via the address bar on both mobile and desktop devices. On supported mobile devices, we also display a conspicuous yet unobtrusive banner in the off-canvas menu.

Once the app is installed, it is readily available in exactly the same way as a native app. On mobile devices, that means it can be opened via an icon on the home screen. On desktop devices, it can be opened by searching your system or even pinning the app to your taskbar or dock.

This only works on Android devices & Chrome. Apple for some reason don't support it

Hope this makes some sense, if not just ask.

Hopefully, pictures help @richard webb

The forum logo is too dark so I'm changing that.

This is on chrome on a Windows PC. Click the +button & it will install the app

This then puts a shortcut on the desktop
As seen here - https://share.edgeley.net/wbuP7PQG

When it's open it will also appear in the taskbar along the bottom so you can right click & pin it to the taskbar for quick access as well

For Android it's similar. Click the 3 dots top right in Chrome to open the menu & then click "Add to Home Screen"
As with desktop it will add an icon to your home screen to quickly open the forum

Screenshot_20201010-204531.png

Screenshot_20201010-204617.png

Screenshot_20201010-204704.png

Now with (slighty) better graphics on desktop & phone

Back