• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Guardian Walking football in the Guardian

I can't tell you how much I enjoy these games. It is really well organised and some great blokes.

There is also the social side of things where we get together around once every 3 months or so for a meal and a few beers.

If you are between 50 and whatever come down and have a look. We pay just £6.00 per MONTH as it is subsidised by age UK and of course 1874 help with tournaments etc.

Please speak to me at the next 1874 game and I will fill you in with all the details!

BOLTON FRIENDLY

Well the long awaited friendly against Bolton took place today. As is the case with Walking Football there are various interpretations of the rules and the ref had a few minutes with us before we started explaining their rules. It was a smaller pitch than ours and yet they play with one more player, 8 a side.

Anyway, we were quick out of the blocks taking an early 2-0 lead. They pulled one back just before the first 20 minute break to take it to 2-1. We scored again just after the interval but that sparked an onslaught from Bolton and after a dubious penalty and a goal through a crowd of players they levelled at 3-3 going into the last 20 period.

We did play much better in the last period however they scored with the last kick of the game to take the game 4-3. Not even time to kick off! We were absolutely gutted but overall they were the better team, and we were so close. A return game will be arranged for early April.

There is a Cheshire FA tournament at Moss Farm in February and we will have two teams entered. If you are over 50 and want to get involved please come down and have a look at Moss Farm on Wednesday 11-12 or Friday 4-5. It really is great fun as well as keeping you fitter.

Unfortunately Streety's knee has given way again, so he was gutted not to be involved. But the message he received from the team was 'those Northwich blokes are a good lot' !

Walking Football is ace and us ladies are at it now! Thanks to Steve and Mick, they started a football session for ladies aged 40 and over and it's growing every week. I love it although work means I can't always get there (Monday 4pm) and I know that some of the women who have never played before, are really in to it and are developing their footy skills. Such a laugh too!

There's life in us 'slightly more experienced/maturer' folks yet!!! :scarf:

If anyone has time next Thursday 17th February the 1874 Walking Football teams (over 50's and over 60's) are playing in the Cheshire FA Walking Football tournament. It is from 12.30 until 3.30pm. Your support would be appreciated! I promise you it will be very entertaining!

Unfortunately Streety's knee has given way again, so he was gutted not to be involved. But the message he received from the team was 'those Northwich blokes are a good lot' !

Walking Football is ace and us ladies are at it now! Thanks to Steve and Mick, they started a football session for ladies aged 40 and over and it's growing every week. I love it although work means I can't always get there (Monday 4pm) and I know that some of the women who have never played before, are really in to it and are developing their footy skills. Such a laugh too!

There's life in us 'slightly more experienced/maturer' folks yet!!! :scarf:
You are doing amazingly for someone in their sixties Vicki!???

Yesterday was the Cheshire FA Walking Football Festival, we entered 2 teams, Over 50's and Over 60's.

Our teams were drawn in separate groups and a total of 10 teams competed. My team, the Over 50's! did not lose any of the 4 games, but we didn't win any either. In fact they were all 0-0 which was typical of the tournament. In all of the games in our group there was only 3 goals scored of which 1 was a penalty (for a defender entering the goal area). The "older" team 60's actually won 2 of their group games 1-0 and drew the other two 0-0. They then progressed into the semi final to face the winners of our group, Neston. Unfortunately they were beaten 3-0.

The final was contested by Neston and Kingsmaid Vets (From Denton). Both teams we had shared 0-0 draws against in the group stage. Kingsmaid were the victors. They were also the winners of the Portugal tournament that we entered last October.

It was a bitterly cold afternoon and the organisation by Cheshire FA left a bit to be desired. The games were only 10 minutes in duration, which is not long enough for 6 a side and led to a tournament being dominated by 0-0 draws. Also the times between games were too long to get organised so keeping warm was difficult.

We have further friendlies arranged against, Wigan and Culcheth, before we go off to Portugal again in April.

Don't forget if you want to join in the Walking Football we meet at Moss Farm on Wednesday mornings and Friday afternoons. It can be just for fun and exercise or more competitive, the choice is yours! Give me a shout if you want to get involved.

Back