• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

US Election

James Wood

Too much time on my hands
Politics 5
Jun 1, 2017
Well, with just weeks to go 2020 went someway to cast off its tag of being the worst year the world has experienced since the early 1940s.

Well done to the American people who turned out in unprecedented numbers to turf the egotistical, sexist, bully-boy, inveterate liar and vain narcissist out of office.

By itself the result will not solve the huge divisions and problems in the US and wider world, but hopefully it will engender a fairer, pluralistic and co-operative spirit and a less populist, Inward -looking, bellicose and nationalistic View of the world. ??

You might think so James, but I wouldn't be so sure. Biden is calling for an end to hostilities with the Republicans, and for a kinder sort of politics - where have we heard that before, and look what happened !! I think a lot will depend on how much influence Trump has with the republicans after the election. They have won the Senate and many Republicans owe their seats to Trump. They might not be so forgiving of the Russia investigation, Impeachment proceedings and general abuse the Democrats heaped on the President over the last 4 years. I can see the Republicans giving Biden a hard time over his conduct as vice President, the activities of his son and the left wing (by US standards) of some of the policies, including raising taxes. In all the euphoria of a democratic victory, there will be some who want to see Biden fail. Remember how close the election has been and I can't see it healing the US any time soon. On another note, I have a gut feeling that Biden will not see his term as president through. Not sure why, but just have a feeling that at the end of the term the US might have its' first black woman president.

Last edited:
Well, with just weeks to go 2020 went someway to cast off its tag of being the worst year the world has experienced since the early 1940s.

Well done to the American people who turned out in unprecedented numbers to turf the egotistical, sexist, bully-boy, inveterate liar and vain narcissist out of office.

By itself the result will not solve the huge divisions and problems in the US and wider world, but hopefully it will engender a fairer, pluralistic and co-operative spirit and a less populist, Inward -looking, bellicose and nationalistic View of the world. ??

I think I agree with you even though I've not got a clue what most of the adjectives mean! Did you have a bowl of Grammarly for supper last night James???
GE

We don’t always agree James but couldn’t agree more with that post.

A wonderful day for politics seeing Trump get the boot. Hopefully Starmer can steer Labour to election success in the future!

I think I agree with you even though I've not got a clue what most of the adjectives mean! Did you have a bowl of Grammarly for supper last night James???
GE
Nah, I had a 10” hot and spicy Pizza (no mushrooms, green peppers instead) on thin base from Hal’s at the top of Castle Hlll! Absolutely superb ? as always! ?

You might think so James, but I wouldn't be so sure. Biden is calling for an end to hostilities with the Republicans, and for a kinder sort of politics - where have we heard that before, and look what happened !! I think a lot will depend on how much influence Trump has with the republicans after the election. They have won the Senate and many Republicans owe their seats to Trump. They might not be so forgiving of the Russia investigation, Impeachment proceedings and general abuse the Democrats heaped on the President over the last 4 years. I can see the Republicans giving Biden a hard time over his conduct as vice President, the activities of his son and the left wing (by US standards) of some of the policies, including raising taxes. In all the euphoria of a democratic victory, there will be some who want to see Biden fail. Remember how close the election has been and I can't see it healing the US any time soon. On another note, I have a gut feeling that Biden will not see his term as president through. Not sure why, but just have a feeling that at the end of the term the US might have its' first black woman president.
I hope that he does see his term
through, but if he doesn’t then I think that the US have a more than capable and inspirational second in charge

When Trump won with 306 EC seats and a minority popular vote, he himself called that a landslide victory.

Biden is on for 306 and +5million on the popular vote. Odd that Trump doesn't see things the same way this time round ?

Given the demographic split of the voting, I also think it's time we balanced out history... and banned white men from voting. That's only fair :scarf:

While I'm here: here are the (unedited) symptoms of a narcissist (taken from the Mayo Clinic website). Someone should pass this on to Trump's headstone engraver when he departs this world. You couldn't make it up.
  • Have an exaggerated sense of self-importance
  • Have a sense of entitlement and require constant, excessive admiration
  • Expect to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it
  • Exaggerate achievements and talents
  • Be preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate
  • Believe they are superior and can only associate with equally special people
  • Monopolize conversations and belittle or look down on people they perceive as inferior
  • Expect special favors and unquestioning compliance with their expectations
  • Take advantage of others to get what they want
  • Have an inability or unwillingness to recognize the needs and feelings of others
  • Be envious of others and believe others envy them
  • Behave in an arrogant or haughty manner, coming across as conceited, boastful and pretentious
  • Insist on having the best of everything — for instance, the best car or office.

So, am I going to lose sleep over a psychopathic narcissist being ousted from the position of POTUS? No.

When Trump won with 306 EC seats and a minority popular vote, he himself called that a landslide victory.

Biden is on for 306 and +5million on the popular vote. Odd that Trump doesn't see things the same way this time round ?

Given the demographic split of the voting, I also think it's time we balanced out history... and banned white men from voting. That's only fair :scarf:

While I'm here: here are the (unedited) symptoms of a narcissist (taken from the Mayo Clinic website). Someone should pass this on to Trump's headstone engraver when he departs this world. You couldn't make it up.
  • Have an exaggerated sense of self-importance
  • Have a sense of entitlement and require constant, excessive admiration
  • Expect to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it
  • Exaggerate achievements and talents
  • Be preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate
  • Believe they are superior and can only associate with equally special people
  • Monopolize conversations and belittle or look down on people they perceive as inferior
  • Expect special favors and unquestioning compliance with their expectations
  • Take advantage of others to get what they want
  • Have an inability or unwillingness to recognize the needs and feelings of others
  • Be envious of others and believe others envy them
  • Behave in an arrogant or haughty manner, coming across as conceited, boastful and pretentious
  • Insist on having the best of everything — for instance, the best car or office.

So, am I going to lose sleep over a psychopathic narcissist being ousted from the position of POTUS? No.

Don't know why you would lose sleep over either of them to be honest. The choice is totally outside your control

Maybe I worry for the many US friends and colleagues I have. You know that thing empathy?

I suspect the American people are well capable of making their choices and living with them. There's far more important matters closer to home to lose sleep over.

He makes up for it during the day. He’s not exactly known for his strong work ethic.

A true patriot has been rejected by the American public remember when he hugged the US flag, a man who always think's of others first. But is this the same man who dodged the draft to Vietnam 5 times & let them send Joe public in his place ( including many black people ). The same man who had a father & grandfather who did the same. The man who said that US war dead were loser's & sucker's well Donald who is the loser now.

The beginning of the end ... A very un-Trump-like tweet, far too normal in tone:

1606174974907.png

Mmmm Nixon and Clinton could run him close. The Democrats never got over Hilary Clinton not being elected, so haven't covered themselves in glory over the past 4 years. Whilst Trump was definitely on his own with regard to divisiveness, I reckon without Covid it would have been an even tighter run contest.

No doubt the historians will take a view about Trump's rise and fall, but what is obvious and really worrying, is that having had 4 years to find, select and groom a candidate to run against Trump, the best the Democrats could do was Biden. A rambling old man who will need to be nursed through his presidency. The last 4 years may have been a rough ride, I am not sure the next 4 will be much better - if any.

If you were an American Knutsfordian who would you have voted for?.

Mmmm Nixon and Clinton could run him close. The Democrats never got over Hilary Clinton not being elected, so haven't covered themselves in glory over the past 4 years. Whilst Trump was definitely on his own with regard to divisiveness, I reckon without Covid it would have been an even tighter run contest.

No doubt the historians will take a view about Trump's rise and fall, but what is obvious and really worrying, is that having had 4 years to find, select and groom a candidate to run against Trump, the best the Democrats could do was Biden. A rambling old man who will need to be nursed through his presidency. The last 4 years may have been a rough ride, I am not sure the next 4 will be much better - if any.
Oh they will be better. Nothing could be worse than that perms-tanned, arrogant, narcissist.

Yes, Biden isn’t the greatest and it is disappointing that the Democrats couldn’t come up with anyone better.

Back