Theresa May says 95% of Brexit deal is done

• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Knutsfordian

I Live Here
Dec 18, 2014

I have mentioned before that the lockdown could/should possibly have been much earlier (not just 1 week) as has been mooted over the last day or so. I still maintain that the level of infection in this country was way out of control by the end of March seeded by people returning from holidays abroad and by people not showing any symptoms. It follows that the advice given by Sage was flawed and it wasn't just poor decision making that's at the root cause of the number of UK deaths. The 250,000 or declared coronovirus cases in this country are, in effect, just the number of hospital admissions. I think the number of actual cases in this country will be shown to be far higher with the range of estimates currently running from 2.6 million to 19 million. At the moment the BBC is showing that just over 7 million people have been infected wordwide with 412,000 deaths. Its possible that the UK alone could have had over 7 million infections. Add in population densities, ethnic mix etc and then you might have a more balanced picture with regard to the overall impact on the UK
I see EURACTIV is currently reporting that COVID 19 was evident in Spain in March 2019, so there can be little doubt if that's true it was also seeded here in the UK way before last January and it would also indicate that the level of infections has been way above the currently published figures

Knutsfordian

I Live Here
Dec 18, 2014
I'm sure there will be - but what it shows is that the source and timing of this virus is far from determined and hence the consequences are also subject to a review of the evidence at the due time. People are slaying the government for poor performance but its clear there is much more to be known about tghe origins and timing of this disease. I still hold that our scientists and public servants are as good as there are anywhere and at some point will be vindicated

Edge

Administrator
Forum Staff
Jun 24, 2013
Northwich
I think the government are being slayed because of the over promise & under deliver strategy they've done.
Couple with lying through their teeth.

e.g. No. of tests promised & counting nose & throat swaps as two tests.
PPE - counting a pair of gloves as two items of PPE
The App - world beating to not needed. Google/Apple not needed to backing both horses to APple denying being talked to.

Knutsfordian

I Live Here
Dec 18, 2014
I don't believe that politicians of any persuasion generally tell lies - its too easy to get caught out. There have been exceptions as a Labour MP found out to her cost (last year?) for telling porkies about who was driving as did Chris Hune and Jeffrey Archer to name a few. But for the most part I think politicians tell the truth, just not all of it at the same time :)

As for the gloves issue etc - latex gloves are shipped in boxes of 500 or 1000 individual gloves, not pairs of gloves. This was just a Piers Morgan rant to get at Matt Hancock, The swab tests are two separate tests just done for the person. If I have a blood test and a urine test - that's two tests is it not? Not sure what the difference is? Most of these accusations are about undermining Matt Hancock's credibility, which Piers has made it his mission to do

Mistakes will have been made. That's inevitable and at some point these will be exposed

Reactions: simon barton

Edge

Administrator
Forum Staff
Jun 24, 2013
Northwich
If I have a Covid 19 test that features 2 swaps then I have one test surely not two?
And if I wear one glove then does mean I'm Michael Jackson?

The difference is it boosts the numbers.
If the Govt hadn't made promises of huge numbers of tests by a date or a certain amount of PPE available at a certain time then they wouldn't need to fiddle the figures the way they have.

Reactions: Phil Bradley

Knutsfordian

I Live Here
Dec 18, 2014
But you may replace one glove and not both and you may have 2 separate covid tests with 2 separate swabs that are analysed separately, hence 2 tests.

At the end of the day its all just chaff .

Its all about having the appropriate amount of PPE and tests, and there's no doubt that there was an initially a shortfall which Piers Morgan ranted about endlessly. And there's no doubt acquiring the equipment and tests was painful. Whether that was down to ineptitude, inefficiency, complacency or idiocy we will no doubt find out in due course. One thing is clear is that the bullying behaviour of Piers Morgan is now becoming a blocker between the Government and ITV in which the loser is really the general public.

toddyb

Too much time on my hands
Dec 23, 2014
If it's about Morgan's rant's,then why will they not go and answer his accusation's and clear it up Knutsfordian,is it true that none of them will go on Good Morning Britain?.

Knutsfordian

I Live Here
Dec 18, 2014
It would seem that the government is boycotting Piers Morgan, but doing the rounds on other TV stations, so Morgan does a daily rant about the government and uses BBC footage on GMB which he then rips apart. The government doesn't seem to be bothered though and they are still not putting people up for interview

toddyb

Dec 23, 2014
But why are they boycotting him,are they afraid of him? because he will not let them get away with their lying answers.Keir Starmer was on the other day and he did not get an easy ride and knew he would not but he had the guts to go on,but with the Tory's guts are in short supply.

Knutsfordian

I Live Here
Dec 18, 2014
well you may say that, but the last few government ministers that were on really got serious abuse that was bullying more than just questions

toddyb

Dec 23, 2014
Well if that's your answer (bullying)Knutsfordian god help this country when the come up against the likes of Putin,Trump.

Knutsfordian

I Live Here
Dec 18, 2014
He is a bit of a beast and on a mission there's no doubt, but the government are not for appearing on his show

Knutsfordian

I Live Here
Dec 18, 2014
Yep and Piers Morgan has never forgiven him for not appearing on his show after saying he would. Hes now on a mission to bring Johnson down me thinks

Knutsfordian

I Live Here
Dec 18, 2014
I am sure you are.

GMB had Lord Grade (I think) on GMB this morning and they were trying to get him, as an ex-ITV boss, to condemn the government for not putting up ministers for their programme. It blew up in their faces as he said that the government had no obligation to put ministers up and were well within their rights not to appear on GMB. They were all a bit stunned - took the wind right out of their sails

• Haha
Reactions: simon barton

toddyb

Dec 23, 2014
Knutsfordian why would Boris not go on the show in the first place?could it be he knew Morgan would not let him get away with avoiding answering questions.(by the way I can not stand Morgan but he is not afraid of pushing politicians for answers).