Theresa May says 95% of Brexit deal is done

• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

James Wood

Too much time on my hands
Jun 1, 2017
Yes I know you will say its the Express, but it's interesting to see that the Germans are keeping an eye on how we are doing..........

"But a look at the island can't hurt to see what went better and is going better there during the pandemic in comparison to Germany.”

Wise words indeed. Pity that Boris and his chums didn’t look from the island over to what was happening in Spain and Italy in February / March 2020. Had they done so then countless of lives would have been saved.

James Wood

Jun 1, 2017
"But a look at the island can't hurt to see what went better and is going better there during the pandemic in comparison to Germany.”

Wise words indeed. Pity that Boris and his chums didn’t look from the island over to what was happening in Spain and Italy in February / March 2020. Had they done so then countless of lives would have been saved.
The ever brilliant and acerbic Mark Steel hitting the nail on the head!

Attachments

• 0069EC52-E669-4329-8C14-888BECD3A539.jpeg
    0069EC52-E669-4329-8C14-888BECD3A539.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6

James Wood

Jun 1, 2017
And it’s not only bar staff, care workers or strawberry pickers we are going to be short of!

Attachments

• E3196A82-BAE8-49A7-8BF3-A8701D6D26C3.jpeg
    E3196A82-BAE8-49A7-8BF3-A8701D6D26C3.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 5

Knutsfordian

Dec 18, 2014
might have been funny had it been true - but it wasn't

James - your clutching at straws. Pints are being pulled, restaurants are open, goods are being delivered and the world moves on ..............

James Wood

Jun 1, 2017

James - your clutching at straws. Pints are being pulled, restaurants are open, goods are being delivered and the world moves on ..............
Hmmm.

So clearly you didn’t watch BBC NW Tonight which was reporting from the Lake District about how the chronic lack of staff - most of whom prior to the pandemic were EU nationals - is creating massive problems for businesses in the region.

But hey-ho Knutsfordian, you just pootle along in your sunlit Brexshit uplands and leave the mainly independent, local small businesses in the area to pick up the pieces from the shitshow that is Brexit

James Wood

Jun 1, 2017

So are you saying that the RHA are lying? In the same way that the NFU has serious misgivings about potential trade deals with Australia and the US? Or the groups representing U.K. fishing feel that they’ve been well and truly rodgered by Boris (in this respect, Carrie, Jennifer and Lord knows how many other poor, unfortunate women must know how they feel...😉)

Knutsfordian

Dec 18, 2014
The NFU are always going to be wary about the safety blanket that EU subsidies have provided, but it should be remembered that at various times in the past they have screamed blue murder about the unfairness of the CAP - and so have the fishermen about CFP. The government has been guilty of having to row back on its projections, especially in fishing given that the transition will take a number of years, but the end result should be more sustainable fisheries and agricultural policy. They key element that the EU will not tackle is the unsustainability of the current fisheries regime. Trawlers are over catching with methods, especially super trawlers, causing vast amounts of damage to marine life and sea beds. In that respect the fighting has only just begun. The working assumptions here are that the UK is always wrong. I don't think that's true. We have to have a more positive outlook that seeks to protect our marine life, something the EU did not care about as long as continental fishers were happy.

With regard to trade deals, there is a fear that UK producers will be undercut. Lets be clear. Many foodstuffs are more expensive than they need be, due in part to EU subsidies and controls, but that doesn't mean we have to accept poor quality as standard. No one I know of (holidaying or resident) complains about the standards of food in America or Australia. We have to be open minded about what's available. For those with long memories the price of foodstuffs in this country increased dramatically when we went into the EEC as the supply of foodstuffs from outside the EEC was curtailed. If we can provide quality foods at abetter price that has to be in everyone's interests.

Edge

Administrator
Forum Staff
Jun 24, 2013
Northwich
I remember seeing huge billboard in the States for a fast food firm, can't remember which one, proudly advertising their chicken was antibiotic free.

Knutsfordian

Dec 18, 2014
Ah, unlike NATO which can commit 30 nations to war. 🤫
Nato is a defensive alliance whereby member countries are obliged to defend each other if one of them is attacked in the Northern Atlantic region (so for example Argentina attacking the Falklands does not count)

James Wood

Jun 1, 2017
Hey Knutsfordian, today is ‘National Cheese Day’!

Does you bessie mate Liz ‘Good old English Cheddar is better than that sloppy French shit’ Truss know?
And here is new statue that we all must surely agree with! Liz Truss must be wetting herself with excitement with the possibilities that this may bring to the export of Wensleydale cheese to Bukino Faso!

James Wood

Jun 1, 2017
Nato is a defensive alliance whereby member countries are obliged to defend each other if one of them is attacked in the Northern Atlantic region (so for example Argentina attacking the Falklands does not count)
So I’ll say once more, just in case you didn’t quite grasp my initial argument, NATO can commit up to 30 different nations to war....

Knutsfordian

Dec 18, 2014
Let’s hope that the EU don’t decide to invade us or we are well and truly stuffed!

#anothertorysuccessstory!

No doubt Knutsfordian will try to blame Labour / the EU et al for this monumental cock up!
Nope just another example of MOD spend on equipment that is delivered late and doesn't work as intended. Can't understand why we don't build our own

Knutsfordian

Dec 18, 2014
So I’ll say once more, just in case you didn’t quite grasp my initial argument, NATO can commit up to 30 different nations to war....
Yes I read what you said, you obviously didn't grasp the point in my post. NATO organisation doesn't commit countries to war. IF a country that is a member of NATO is attacked within the Atlantic region, then the remaining members of the alliance are expected to fulfill their treaty obligations by coming to the aid of the country that is attacked. The decision is still up to individual countries to fulfill those obligations. The EU is creating its own army, in its own uniform, that can be committed by the EU

James Wood

Jun 1, 2017
Nope just another example of MOD spend on equipment that is delivered late and doesn't work as intended. Can't understand why we don't build our own
Well we have built our own aircraft carrier - and that ended up being late and over budget. But yes I agree with you, the MoD has a long track record in being really, really crap at procurment

Andy

Jul 28, 2013
UK - French trade back at pre-pandemic levels in April.

Doesn’t suit the Brexit bashing narrative so don’t expect to see it on Garbage BBC or Sky News

5E67EE4C-804E-4A61-ABD4-CF3054D76D90.png

Reactions: Knutsfordian

James Wood

Jun 1, 2017

Doesn’t suit the Brexit bashing narrative so don’t expect to see it on Garbage BBC or Sky News

View attachment 2155
I see that Tories appear to be livid that the EU might make this Conservative government abide by the treaty that they negotiated and partly helped to get them elected.

The irony is about as delicious as Tim ‘Mullett’ Martin complaining about loads of his staff buggering off back home after Brexit leaving him short of people to work in his shitholes - sorry - pubs.

James Wood

Jun 1, 2017

View attachment 2155
So, as opposed to what the ranting raving Mail and Express would have us believe - and which both you and Knutsfordian concurred - it would appear that those nasty, garlic-smelling cheese eating surrender monkeys aren’t being as obstructive to trade between the U.K. and the EU.

So just remind me. Exactly what was the point of leaving?

Ah yes, some overblown notion that the U.K. - and particularly Engerland - is still a powerful player on the world stage, a concept almost wholly based on the events of over 75 years ago.