Theresa May says 95% of Brexit deal is done

• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Andy

Too much time on my hands
Jul 28, 2013
Nazis arose in 1930s Germany. I prefer the term fascist to apply to ultra right wing supporters like Daily Mail readers.

1920 the wretched party emerged. Atleast get it right if you’re going to accuse people of sympathising with them.

If you think people who read the Daily Mail are “facists” then you’re just a fool. Just this morning James posted a Daily Mail story, so I’d be careful throwing around such stupid accusations again, because it’s clearly not true.

Phil Bradley

Legend
Aug 1, 2013
Holmes Chapel
1920 the wretched party emerged. Atleast get it right if you’re going to accuse people of sympathising with them.

If you think people who read the Daily Mail are “facists” then you’re just a fool. Just this morning James posted a Daily Mail story, so I’d be careful throwing around such stupid accusations again, because it’s clearly not true.
Maybe 1919 to be pedantic, but who cares? If you think splitting hairs is point scoring get real.

as for the Daily Mail, if you want to be an apologist that's your prerogative.

Knutsfordian

Dec 18, 2014
Nazis arose in 1930s Germany. I prefer the term fascist to apply to ultra right wing supporters like Daily Mail readers.
The Daily Mail had a circulation of over 1m papers per day (pre pandemic) and Mail Online gets circa 10m visits per day. So to brand everyone who reads the Daily Mail and Mail Online as fascist is clearly preposterous and just undermines your own credibility.

Those of a leftist persuasion who seek to brand everyone, who is not a supporter of the leftist parties, as a Nazi or Fascist only hardens opinions against those leftist views and makes the holders of those views look more ridiculous and less electable than ever.

There are very, very few people in the UK who subscribe to unelected, dictatorial power and suppression of an elected opposition. To suggest that those who voted for Brexit, or for this Conservative government, fall into that category shows a clearly misplaced understanding of the political views of the majority of the electorate,

There is nothing wrong with the views you hold personally and you are entitled to hold them, but to engage in sensible dialogue requires reasoned thinking and to unfairly and incorrectly brand people as fascists discredits your arguments and is a disservice to you personally.

James Wood

Legend
Jun 1, 2017
Project Fear really scraping the barrel now....
It was a joke Andy - but with some truth behind it. An interview with a grower on R4 Today yesterday he reckoned he had lost £100ks in lost sales due to the lack of pickers.
There is no doubt that Covid restrictions has played a major part in this, but the producer was unequivocal in his view that Brexit had been an equal reason for the lack of pickers.

I actually bought two bunches of daffs today from my local Tesco Express. 😉👍

The government has got to get this issue sorted in the next few weeks as if they don’t there will be a massive and detrimental impact on the ability of our farming and horticultural industry to operate at the levels

James Wood

Legend
Jun 1, 2017
and you think we alone have a problem with right wing extremists?

I absolutely don’t- and that is the massively worrying thing.

Across the world we are seeing the growth of right wing, nationalistic parties who are espousing policies that marginalise and discriminate minorities, reduce press freedom, the rights of the judiciary and exacerbate the huge gaps between the haves and have nots in our society

Knutsfordian

Dec 18, 2014
I absolutely don’t- and that is the massively worrying thing.

Across the world we are seeing the growth of right wing, nationalistic parties who are espousing policies that marginalise and discriminate minorities, reduce press freedom, the rights of the judiciary and exacerbate the huge gaps between the haves and have nots in our society
We have to be really careful here that we don't try and put everyone in the same pot and categorise them all as right or left wing extremists.

In this country we have a strong press that will fight tooth and nail for its freedoms. That leads to occasional clashes with political parties, but by and large the lines are drawn and there is no real attempt to curtail press freedoms. The same with judiciary. Occasionally government and law lords clash in the courts, but the rule of law is final and such incidences are rather rare and attract huge publicity.

The question of policy and the rights of the haves and have nots is hugely variable and how much people are prepared to pay via their taxes to support government spending is determined via the ballot box. For some that will be too much, for others not enough, but overall the country makes significant funds available to provide support, pensions and education. There is never any question as to removing these funds and they are rarely reduced by actual cuts, more often by not meeting inflationary pressures, but overall in all economic climates the numbers are still vast

It therefore dismays me that accusations of extreme right wing or left wing behaviours are levelled so frequently in this country and so often where they don't apply. On all sides of the house, all MPs believe in Parliamentary democracy and they have been voted in by their constituents and can be removed just as easily. Most of those MPs want fairness and equality and I don't see any move towards increasing discrimination or marginalising people. Again these policies may not progress as quickly as you would wish, but no one is trying to roll the clock backwards.

We need more tolerance and less vitriol at which point we actually may getter a better overall debate.