Theresa May says 95% of Brexit deal is done

• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Knutsfordian

Too much time on my hands
Dec 18, 2014
A year ago ago today, as Italian politicians met to decide to ban public events and close schools,
@BorisJohnson
was on day 3 of a two week holiday to sort out his private life.

People would die as a result of his and the government’s neglect.

So much for Johnson “knowing every single detail about it”.

If he did, then this makes his and his government’s response to it all the more shocking.

And yes, not everything is a hysterical conspiracy. But if you can’t recognise an absolute and utter incompetence and a massive dereliction of duty on a monumental scale when it is as obvious as the nose on your face then I think that you need to reflect on what the outcome of this was.

Tens of thousands of unnecessary deaths and the tanking of the economy and our public services.

Unfortunately I’m old enough to know that when it comes to the Tories, this is par for the course for them.

#leopardsdontchangetheirspots
#therichgetricherandthepoorgetpoorer
This desperate obsession with trying to prove that Boris was single handedly culpable for the 100,000 plus deaths we have now suffered in this country will bring no one any peace or credit. Mistakes have been made and they will be revealed in due course, but there are few, if any, people outside of the cabinet who knew the full extent of the problems or advice that were discussed in the early part of last year. Boris has (very successfully) labelled Starmer as Captain HIndsight, and as we move further into this pandemic, that label is becoming more and more appropriate. Labour needs to move away from trying to lay blame for the pandemic and focus on how they will enact their policies - whatever they might be !!

When it comes to public services - throughout the pandemic public servants salaries in all industries have been paid in full, so if anything one could argue that the government has fully supported public services during this period.

The Economy - yep its been really tough and some industries have been closed for a year - but would labour have done better? The government has spent nigh on £300 billion supporting the economy during this period and latest forecasts are that the UK economy will recover quicker than others on the continent - hence the rise in share and currency indices.

Whatever you might think of this government, the polls say that the people of the country haven't lost faith in Boris and if things continue as they are - they are not likely to either.

Reactions: Dave James

James Wood

Legend
Jun 1, 2017
Ah so Emily Thornberry wants to bring Liz Truss to the despatch box so that she (Thornberry) can grandstand. The government has fielded the questions and brought other trade ministers in to answer questions, whilst Liz Truss gets on with doing her job of bringing home the bacon in the form of new trade deals, which is more than the lardy Emily Thornberry will ever do. It's just posturing by a Labour front bench with absolutely nothing to shout about. They are falling behind in the polls, Starmer has lost the plot and the Labour left doesn't know where to turn to next. On the other side of the House,, the government is riding the success of the vaccination programme and the anti-Tory, anti-Brexit tide has turned - and the best Labour can do is wave a few flags to try and win back the red wall seats?

If ever Labour needed leadership, now is the time. Complaining about Liz Truss isn't going to cut much ice with either the House or electorate, They need to take on the SNP and get a real strategy. Just listening to Odious Anneliese on LBC right now and its just a load of wooly waffle trotting out the same old crap.
Oh yes, Liz has done a brilliant job rolling over all the trade deals we had when we were members of the EU. The easiest job in the world. Maybe she should go and have a chat with all the fisherman who now can’t sell their catch in the manner they did before Brexit. Another Tory lie. I think that she would get a pretty bumpy ride.

And as for Emily Thornberry being ‘Lardy’, if we want to be picky about how our politicians look, I give you the functioning drunk Boris Johnson who makes Worzel Gummidge look like a Saville Row gent and Therese ‘Jabba the Hut’ Coffey.

James Wood

Legend
Jun 1, 2017
This desperate obsession with trying to prove that Boris was single handedly culpable for the 100,000 plus deaths we have now suffered in this country will bring no one any peace or credit. Mistakes have been made and they will be revealed in due course, but there are few, if any, people outside of the cabinet who knew the full extent of the problems or advice that were discussed in the early part of last year. Boris has (very successfully) labelled Starmer as Captain HIndsight, and as we move further into this pandemic, that label is becoming more and more appropriate. Labour needs to move away from trying to lay blame for the pandemic and focus on how they will enact their policies - whatever they might be !!

When it comes to public services - throughout the pandemic public servants salaries in all industries have been paid in full, so if anything one could argue that the government has fully supported public services during this period.

The Economy - yep its been really tough and some industries have been closed for a year - but would labour have done better? The government has spent nigh on £300 billion supporting the economy during this period and latest forecasts are that the UK economy will recover quicker than others on the continent - hence the rise in share and currency indices.

Whatever you might think of this government, the polls say that the people of the country haven't lost faith in Boris and if things continue as they are - they are not likely to either.
Better Captain Hindsight than General Blunder-bluster!

Andy

Jul 28, 2013
I don’t care about how Thornberry looks, I care about the inane drivel that she spouts.

Shes not fit to lead a dog around a park, let alone a country and it’s trade

James Wood

Legend
Jun 1, 2017
I don’t care about how Thornberry looks, I care about the inane drivel that she spouts.

Shes not fit to lead a dog around a park, let alone a country and it’s trade
And Boris and his cabal of arrogant, elitist, self-serving, incompetent bastards are?

I’ll spell it out for you shall I?

One hundred and fifteen thousand deaths. One of the worst death rates in the world.

GDP fallen by nearly 10%. Again one of the worst in the world.

Resisting calls to give food to needy children at every opportunity

Never mind walking a dog, I wouldn’t trust this lot with a goldfish

James Wood

Legend
Jun 1, 2017

Parliament has 650 elected members, 803 unelected members, and now we're making unelected people into actual ministers, with no accountability to the public whatsoever.

Strange that this has been done by a party that for so long railed against the power of unelected EU bureaucrats 🤫

Knutsfordian

Dec 18, 2014
Parliament has 650 elected members, 803 unelected members, and now we're making unelected people into actual ministers, with no accountability to the public whatsoever.

Strange that this has been done by a party that for so long railed against the power of unelected EU bureaucrats 🤫
Successive governments have used members of the HoL as cabinet minsters. Nothing to tell there. There is always a minister available to come to the Despatch Box to answer questions

Knutsfordian

Dec 18, 2014
Better Captain Hindsight than General Blunder-bluster!
Just heard Starmer on the radio with his vision/re-launch/strategy/dig-me-out-of-hole speech. Its difficult to know where to begin. Lame, same old drivel, uninspiring, nothing new, government are rubbish and we will make it better - by how exactly ???? Spending loads of money of course !!! Back to the Future Kier Starmer style. If that is the future of Labour - I have more chance of being elected than a Labour Government (and I am not standing !!)

Knutsfordian

Dec 18, 2014
Oh yes, Liz has done a brilliant job rolling over all the trade deals we had when we were members of the EU. The easiest job in the world. Maybe she should go and have a chat with all the fisherman who now can’t sell their catch in the manner they did before Brexit. Another Tory lie. I think that she would get a pretty bumpy ride.

And as for Emily Thornberry being ‘Lardy’, if we want to be picky about how our politicians look, I give you the functioning drunk Boris Johnson who makes Worzel Gummidge look like a Saville Row gent and Therese ‘Jabba the Hut’ Coffey.
Ok accept that calling Thornberry Lardy was out of order, but Liz Truss is more than capable of holding her own, but frankly has better things to do than jump about in front of the Labour front bench. Didn't project Fear continually call out that it had taken the EU years to negotiate these deals and we would never be able to replicate all those deals in a life time, as we didn't have the nous and expertise. Funny how barely a month into Brexit and we are nearly there with more and bigger deals on the horizon

And yes there are problems with exporting shell fish - but there shouldn't be really. It's only obstructionism and protectionism by the EU that is preventing common sense prevailing. Fish caught side by side in UK waters are not treated in the same way. I must admit that I would be saying if our fish aren't fit for purpose, then they are not safe for you (EU) to take them either and rescind the EU licences to fish in our waters. But as ever the case we play up and play the game and let the EU get away with their nonsense.

James Wood

Legend
Jun 1, 2017
Breaking - Lockdown Enthusiast concerned about the impact of lockdown.
I can tell you 100% Andy that in no way am I enthusiastic about any aspect of any of the lockdowns we’ve so far endured.

As I’ve said consistently since day one, my over-riding support for lockdowns has been to protect the NHS from being over-run and becoming a wholly Covid driven system. Had this happened, then the impact on elective surgery, referrals from GP etc would have been far, far worse than it has been.

My stance differs significantly to some who were espousing a more relaxed approach last year that was adopted by certain countries and encouraged the relaxing of restrictions in the summer and over Christmas. Again I and others cautioned against this approach but others argued otherwise.

I think that the statistics regarding confirmed cases and subsequent deaths would suggest that this was a foolhardy decision.

Yet despite this, the siren voices of the loony far-right cabal of the Tory party are calling on the early revocation of restrictions!

Do they never, ever learn?

James Wood

Legend
Jun 1, 2017
Successive governments have used members of the HoL as cabinet minsters. Nothing to tell there. There is always a minister available to come to the Despatch Box to answer questions
Like Truss to answer questions from the ‘Grandstanding’ Emily Thornberry?

James Wood

Legend
Jun 1, 2017
Well we had nigh on 50 years of EU membership, so plenty of time to go.

At the moment the omens are good for Brexit. The EU is facing some huge crisis, with the Euro alone being declared as the greatest financial project failure in history.

With luck both Merkel and Macron will sale off into the sunset, Germany will realise that it cant bankroll the whole of Europe indefinitely, Brussels will get the boot and the EU will revert to the free trading bloc it should have become (and stayed there). One can but hope

Even now some MEPs can't help themselves and want to drag the UK back into the EU indoctrination programme, otherwise known as Erasmus. I just hope the UK government holds its nerve and goes on with the Turing scheme
One for you and Andy to appreciate.

Knutsfordian

Dec 18, 2014
Like Truss to answer questions from the ‘Grandstanding’ Emily Thornberry?
Trade ministers have always been available to answer questions. This is just Thornberry seeking the oxygen of publicity now she has been relegated to a junior shadow cabinet role and getting no air time. She may as well be calling out "what about me !"

It's just typical of the Labour front bench floundering around with not a lot to say but just phishing (and fishing) for a story where there isn't one. Typified yesterday by Starmer's non speech, delivered in a monotone, boring style that will do little rouse those that Labour needs to flock to the cause.

Instead of trying to pick fights where they are likely to get a bloody nose, Labour need to go out and find some real talent that will give their campaigns the foresight and teeth to make the UK electorate think they are worth supporting. At the moment its is absolutely no contest.

Knutsfordian

Dec 18, 2014
And the English characteristics?

An overblown, bellicose and arrogant view of the importance of their country?

#flagshaggers
Give over - it was comedy programme based on comedic view of each countries traits. I despair that Remainers are prepared to denigrate our own country to laud the (non existent ) virtues of the EU.

People wanted to leave the EU because its a pile of sh1te. You may not want to believe that people in this country know their own mind and we don't have a fear of foreigners etc. but all this "you didn't know what you were doing" and racist slurs really is bollocks and most free minded people in the UK know that too. We wanted out, we got out and now its perhaps time for some of you guys to reflect on the edifice that you worship is really just a self protectionist racket.

Why would anyone vote to join the EU from where we are now? Not going to happen - so a life of disappointment awaits if you can't see the sunny side of life without the EU !

James Wood

Legend
Jun 1, 2017
Give over - it was comedy programme based on comedic view of each countries traits. I despair that Remainers are prepared to denigrate our own country to laud the (non existent ) virtues of the EU.

People wanted to leave the EU because its a pile of sh1te. You may not want to believe that people in this country know their own mind and we don't have a fear of foreigners etc. but all this "you didn't know what you were doing" and racist slurs really is bollocks and most free minded people in the UK know that too. We wanted out, we got out and now its perhaps time for some of you guys to reflect on the edifice that you worship is really just a self protectionist racket.

Why would anyone vote to join the EU from where we are now? Not going to happen - so a life of disappointment awaits if you can't see the sunny side of life without the EU !
Worship? Get real.

What I truly despise is how this country - particularly England - has become a nationalist, jingoistic, narrow minded nation which has an overblown view of its own standing and importance in the world.

And if you don’t think this is the case, then you’ve not read the pages of the right wing media, the guff from the ERG, Tufton Street mafia etc.

Reactions: Phil Bradley