Theresa May says 95% of Brexit deal is done

• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

toddyb

Too much time on my hands
Dec 23, 2014
I still do not know what a erudite is Knutsfordian please explain.

toddyb

Dec 23, 2014
Then you must be one Knustfordian,we are like two pea's in a pod.

Knutsfordian

Dec 18, 2014

James Wood

Legend
Jun 1, 2017
Don't forget Thatcher,she is the reason there is a shortage in skilled workers,she destroyedthe apprentice system,and is the reason we need tradesman from abroard.
Only 15 days to go before the U.K. becomes a “World Beating” nation as we’ll have the worst leader in the democratic world! 😉

Knutsfordian

Dec 18, 2014
Oh I don't know about that James - Macron takes some beating, Varadker would run him close if the Irish electorate hadn't got there first and Biden has achieved nothing in 40 years in various positions

• Haha
Reactions: Phil Bradley

James Wood

Legend
Jun 1, 2017
Oh I don't know about that James - Macron takes some beating, Varadker would run him close if the Irish electorate hadn't got there first and Biden has achieved nothing in 40 years in various positions
None of them has illegally suspended their main legislative body. Or lied on such a consistent basis

James Wood

Legend
Jun 1, 2017
Another great benefit of Brexit!

A further benefit of Brexit!
Kill the bees!

Knutsfordian

Dec 18, 2014
None of them has illegally suspended their main legislative body. Or lied on such a consistent basis
I think to say that Boris (knowingly) illegally prorogued parliament really is stretching the facts to breaking point. The decision had to be referred to the supreme court before the ruling was made and even then some thought there was an element of the supreme court stepping outside the limits of their responsibilities in coming to this political decision. I can accept that it was an ill advised action in the first place (although I would also add I can understand why it happened given the behaviour of Remainers in Parliament), but to interpret that as Boris deliberately lying to the Queen (as intimated elsewhere) to prorogue Parliament goes way beyond a true interpretation of the facts. I also do not accept that MPs from any side of the House deliberately tell lies as the facts are too easily provable and the punishments severe.

James Wood

Legend
Jun 1, 2017
A further benefit of Brexit!
Kill the bees!
And now our parliament is not being permitted to scrutinise the trade agreement!

So glad that Brexit has enabled us to strengthen democracy in this wonderful country!

Knutsfordian

Dec 18, 2014
And now our parliament is not being permitted to scrutinise the trade agreement!

So glad that Brexit has enabled us to strengthen democracy in this wonderful country!

So the agreement with the EU has passed into law and Brexit is now part of business as usual. The cross party committee chaired by Hillary Benn is to be disbanded as it no longer serves any useful purpose. What would be the outcome of a 6 month Committee talking shop, which can no longer change the course of the negotiations as they are now complete? Questions will still be asked in the House, the Foreign Affairs committee will no doubt pick up our EU relationship and no doubt other Committees will have their say too. Hardly closing down scrutiny is it now?

James Wood

Legend
Jun 1, 2017
So the agreement with the EU has passed into law and Brexit is now part of business as usual. The cross party committee chaired by Hillary Benn is to be disbanded as it no longer serves any useful purpose. What would be the outcome of a 6 month Committee talking shop, which can no longer change the course of the negotiations as they are now complete? Questions will still be asked in the House, the Foreign Affairs committee will no doubt pick up our EU relationship and no doubt other Committees will have their say too. Hardly closing down scrutiny is it now?
The point is not to change the course of the negotiations. As you say, these have been sorted, whether you view them as good or bad.
But surely if Johnson, Rees-Smug and all the others who think that the deal is the best thing since sliced bread you would think that they would welcome such close scrutiny of the deal so that they could prove to all of us what a brilliant job they’ve done? (Although quite a lot of people involved with the totemic fishing industry would appear to be suggesting otherwise now)

Andy

Jul 28, 2013

James Wood

Legend
Jun 1, 2017
Awkward....

Not as awkward as the government sanctioning the use of Pesticides outlawed by the EU that are known to kill bees! Great idea. Let’s help to wipe out the species that is the key to most food production across the globe! Really sustainable and fully in keeping with this government’s pledge to maintain the highest environmental standards. My effin arse! 😡🤬

Andy

Jul 28, 2013
Not as awkward as the government sanctioning the use of Pesticides outlawed by the EU that are known to kill bees! Great idea. Let’s help to wipe out the species that is the key to most food production across the globe! Really sustainable and fully in keeping with this government’s pledge to maintain the highest environmental standards. My effin arse! 😡🤬

I agree. It’s not good.

Thankfully it’s only approved for 120 days, not permanently. So I think some level headed calmness is required. It’s not as bad as the headlines would have you believe.

It was requested by the National Farmers Union. It’s short term relief to help an industry facing a short term problem. It’s a tough balancing act for the government, pitting off industry and environmental issues is going to be a thorn in the side of every government ever going forward. A lose lose situation in every case.

Leaving the EU presents a plethora of opportunities for the UK to make green decisions.

It reminds me of this article written a few years ago. Plenty of opportunities for the UK, I hope they are taken. Now the the country has left the UK, we have more control over Green issues, so I hope this brings green issues in to a more prominent position in future elections.