• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Step 5 promotion null & void ?

It has been announced that the 3 divisions of National League have been suspended indefinitely due to the coronavirus pandemic.

It has been announced that the 3 divisions of National League have been suspended indefinitely due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The I that an official announcement or will someone “clarify” and shift their position again?
So many different messages and bits of “breaking news” have been released over the last week/ten days, it’s difficult to establish exactly where we all are.

I know this is mentioned on a separate thread, but the 2bagsofsand take on the whole issue is in my modest opinion a superbly written piece, a must-read for all and deserving of a wider audience ...

I wouldn't disagree that its well written and makes a strong argument from an 1874 perspective.. I would like to have seen greater analysis of the impact on non league teams of running the current season past the original play off final dates when most non league contracts and registrations expire. A season that restarts later than this date would in effect not be the same competition, as teams may have changed substantially.

I agree with some of the analysis regarding poor communication by the FA, but I think we need to avoid a carte blanch condemnation of FA decisions. There's no reason to suggest that the people who made this decision didn't know what they were doing and that they probably took some serious legal advice.

I also don't think the paper fully recognises that the FA are not in charge of the Premier League and do not have the influence that they would wish. There is , therefore, always the possibility that the PL will make different decisions than those made (or wanted) by the FA with differing effects on their clubs than those impacting clubs in lower leagues.

Yes agree with you Alan M, a superb piece, well worthy of a wider audience.
Keep it up 2 Bags of Sand, don't be to distracted by negative remarks from an old wittoner!

Last edited:
Not disagreeing that its well written, but the elephant in the room is ignored and that stands out - and less of the old !!! :)

One rule for some, another for some more, and a third rule for the rest. How does this measure up on the integrity scale?

No press release from FA, just apparently emailed decision to clubs. No press releases from clubs, just individual reactions. No doubt this will run and run. 5 Live reporting today that there are now 150+ signatories to the Steps 3-7 protest letter to the FA. But of course the FA are keeping tight-lipped.
1586015778248.png

I think I saw Simmo tweet that the FA meeting to ratify the decision is tomorrow.

I think I saw Simmo tweet that the FA meeting to ratify the decision is tomorrow.

I’ve seen twitter updates suggesting they are delaying ratification.

As ever I am totally disillusioned by the FA who at least have kept up their consistency of not caring tuppence about non-league football.
But if the season is null and void I trust that those statisticians amongst us will not expunge the feats of the players this season- surely we don't have to compound the situation by telling the likes of Scott McGowan and Jake Parker that their goals do not feature in club records. My decision to give Jake a MOM for the game I sponsored will stand in my household for all time !

Lawyers' letter to FA via this tweet - you'll need half an hour to read and digest...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Uefa’s president has reportedly said on sky sports that even if the remaining premier league games are cancelled there is no way the season would be declared null and void.

I still think the PL will be dealt with differently as it is not managed by the FA

Can anyone confirm that non-league registrations end the day after the scheduled play off finals?

I still think the PL will be dealt with differently as it is not managed by the FA

Can anyone confirm that non-league registrations end the day after the scheduled play off finals?

Don’t know the answer, but if correct, that would add yet another twist to proceedings, on top of contracts (generally) finishing in June?

The FA council have ratified the decision
This season didn't happen.

The FA council have ratified the decision
This season didn't happen.

Not surprised. They seem to have ignored the points made in the letter. No expansion on their decision.

Back