• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

St Helens v Abbey H abandoned

Edge

Administrator
Forum Staff
5 Game Player
Jun 24, 2013
First game at their new ground abandoned in the 90th minute when 0-0.

Just as Abbey Hulton were about to take a penalty the floodlights went off as they are automatically set to turn off at 10pm !!

Kick off had been delayed due to the fun on the M6 yesterday

League have announced the result stands. Can of worms?

Maybe, maybe not. I guess we need to see the rational behind the St Helens decision before we'll have a clue.

They have lost a manager though.

Rule 8.18 is unsurprisingly woolly ...

Any match which is not of ninety minutes duration may be ordered to stand as a completed match or replayed for the full period of ninety minutes or be awarded to the Club not at fault, as the Board may decide, on such terms as the Board
shall decide.

To be honest it seems unlikely (unless you're Linnets or Runcorn Town ;)) that there was going be a miraculous comeback from 3 nil so late in the game. Abandoned at say 1 or possibly 2 goals down and there might be some reasonable case for an appeal for the game to be replayed in my opinion. I expect the NWCFL Board to look at the facts and make a sensible, realistic decision.

Oh for the good old days where you knew that after 70/75 mins the result would stand.

Sorry don't remember that Alan 70/75 mins,my memory is the game had to be 90mins or the game was replayed.

Before they standardised all the various individual league rules into the current flat-pack off-the-shelf FA rules there were some leagues out there with that written in for late abandonments. I was chatting to someone down here about it this morning, though I thought it was 70 mins and he thought it was 75. Maybe two leagues two variations. I don't have a link - it was in the days before the interweb was even a twinkle in the eyes of Tim Berners-Lee.

A Saturday afternoon without a match ... First recorded "abandoned but result stands" I can find ...

Clubs with money problems is not new, it has been with us since the first footballs were kicked in anger. Back in the 1894/95 season Walsall Town Swifts (now Walsall FC) were battling both to keep their place in the Football League and to pay their bills. The financial problems meant that their players were not being paid and that came to a head on Saturday December 29th 1894 when they were due to entertain Newcastle United in a Second Division fixture. Put simply, they decided in the dressing room before the match it was a case of no pay - no play. Heated discussions followed and it wasn't until over 20 minutes after the scheduled kick off time that an agreement was reached between the players and the committee and the match finally started. Before some 2000 spectators Newcastle took a 3-0 half-time lead but Walsall then pulled two back after the interval. However the weather was atrocious with rain, sleet and a gale force wind and with fading light due to the late kick off the referee abandoned the match in the 78th minute. With Walsall being partly to blame for the abandonment the Football League decided to let the result stand and so the valuable points went to Newcastle. A few days after the Newcastle match Walsall sacked five of their players with the rest being asked to play for little more than expenses only. Not surprisingly things went further downhill for Walsall, they conceded 16 goals in their next two matches and at the end of the season were voted out of the Football League

Surprised you don't remember that one, Toddy! ;) :D

That and more here ...
http://www.footballsite.co.uk/Statistics/Articles/DidYouKnow01.htm

Back