• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Squires Gate result

Briswa

Legend
Aug 9, 2015
As I have made the decision not to go to away games during this pandemic for health reasons I wasn’t at Squires Gate tonight.
Another disappointing result and performance apparently. Hard to believe we were 4-0 down so quickly. Defence seems to have lost the plot. Personally I think we are short of pace at the back at the moment. Any team with quick forwards eg Rylands,Irlam can open us up with ease.
Interesting challenge for our management.

Unfortunately until we either get Jacko, Mitch or Pritch back or sign another CB we're going to keep shipping goals which is going to quickly put us out of contention to challenge for the league

Just got back from the game. First half was awful. The amount of goals we have conceded this year is a little worrying.

Second half we looked like getting something from the game. Harry Cain was running them ragged, was a strange decision to take him off. Was he injured?

Just got back from the game. First half was awful. The amount of goals we have conceded this year is a little worrying.

Second half we looked like getting something from the game. Harry Cain was running them ragged, was a strange decision to take him off. Was he injured?
He ought to be with the amount of stick he takes with little or no protection from the men in black. Against Irlam, the left back was rugby tackling Harry in the penalty area and the portly linesman's response to appeals from the speccies was"I'm not interested". My response to him was that he was getting paid to be interested. Another case of "ins and outs" and ignore blatant offences. In tonight's game there was a vicious tackle on Harry in the second half, but as usual a pathetic response from the weak ref.

First half was dreadful to be 4 goals down in no time. Big problems at the back and we do urgently need some defenders. We’re not going anywhere fast this season as things stand.

Second half was a lot better but we left ourselves with too much to do. Harry Cain was the best player again so I found it strange that he was taken off also. Onto Padiham!

Pritch and Jacko have moved on as I understand
so even more of a need to get two or more decent defenders In
We look a mid table team at best on performances so far, we look wide open at the back
what a difference 12 months make from flowing football full of confidence to nervous and leaking goals

Hope its rumour, was looking forward to getting both those guys back in the team, hell we need them.

He ought to be with the amount of stick he takes with little or no protection from the men in black. Against Irlam, the left back was rugby tackling Harry in the penalty area and the portly linesman's response to appeals from the speccies was"I'm not interested". My response to him was that he was getting paid to be interested. Another case of "ins and outs" and ignore blatant offences. In tonight's game there was a vicious tackle on Harry in the second half, but as usual a pathetic response from the weak ref.
Oh Archie - weren't you the person who quoted that your fans never castigated officials in another thread.
GE

I think you will find that Archies advice to officials is done in a constructive manner,and also polite an example of this is referring to that linesman as Portly and not you " Big Fat Barrel Of Lard

I think you will find that Archies advice to officials is done in a constructive manner,and also polite an example of this is referring to that linesman as Portly and not you " Big Fat Barrel Of Lard
Thank you Virgil. As a self appointed "voice of reason" I can only comment on what I see and there have been quite a few instances this season where the officials have been lenient towards probable red card challenges e.g. Rylands, Barnoldswick (twice) and last night at Squires Gate. 1874 rarely commit "professional" fouls and as a result allow the opposition to play through us and score. Most 1874 fans admire the way in which we play. Perhaps we need to adopt a harder and more cynical approach, meeting fire with fire when facing opponents who are clearly not able to reach the quality levels which we can.

all teams need a stopper best I saw Ron (Chopper) Harris of Chelsea . then Tommy Smith or Roy Keane all Firm but Fair ****

all teams need a stopper best I saw Ron (Chopper) Harris of Chelsea . then Tommy Smith or Roy Keane all Firm but Fair ****
I don’t think that Alfie Haarland would share the same views as you do about Mr Keane!

Love reading Archie's posts! I'm sure he just watches the referees as he rarely comments about the football played!!

Anyway for his and everyone else's benefit here goes!

Definitely a game of two halves and the win overall fully deserved by Squires Gate. They came out of the blocks with gusto and blew us away in the first 15 mins or so. We were all over the place at the back with runners from SG having a field day by having loads of room to come at us. Firstly from the other end it looked like a penalty with a loose tackle by James Ormrod led to the forward going down like a tonne of bricks. The next two goals were fast furious play by SG and with the last one a free header from a free kick where possibly Tony could have come to catch/punch. Then a rare chance from a corner gave us a goal just before the break and there was hope!

Oh my god for the first 20-25 mins of the second half we ran them ragged and played some lovely stuff with Jake instrumental in running the show from midfield and getting into great areas. In fact a goal from him certainly got the Riff Raff excited and the comeback was on! However excellent saves by Gidley in the SG goal denied us this and the game really died when Cain was inexplicably substituted. Both him and Jake were our main threats so that baffled all of us!

For me strange things were happening last night that really contributed to our downfall. Aaron taking free kicks out on the touchline when he's our centre forward? Confidence seemed to drain away so quickly when we conceded. The substitutions seemed strange choices. Structure and shape is baffling with players straying and playing out of positions. Oh well!

Remember these thoughts are my own and not rep...............................................................................: Sorry Wayne!

On to Padiham, usually a good ground for us, see everyone there under the masks!!

Love reading Archie's posts! I'm sure he just watches the referees as he rarely comments about the football played!!

Anyway for his and everyone else's benefit here goes!

Definitely a game of two halves and the win overall fully deserved by Squires Gate. They came out of the blocks with gusto and blew us away in the first 15 mins or so. We were all over the place at the back with runners from SG having a field day by having loads of room to come at us. Firstly from the other end it looked like a penalty with a loose tackle by James Ormrod led to the forward going down like a tonne of bricks. The next two goals were fast furious play by SG and with the last one a free header from a free kick where possibly Tony could have come to catch/punch. Then a rare chance from a corner gave us a goal just before the break and there was hope!

Oh my god for the first 20-25 mins of the second half we ran them ragged and played some lovely stuff with Jake instrumental in running the show from midfield and getting into great areas. In fact a goal from him certainly got the Riff Raff excited and the comeback was on! However excellent saves by Gidley in the SG goal denied us this and the game really died when Cain was inexplicably substituted. Both him and Jake were our main threats so that baffled all of us!

For me strange things were happening last night that really contributed to our downfall. Aaron taking free kicks out on the touchline when he's our centre forward? Confidence seemed to drain away so quickly when we conceded. The substitutions seemed strange choices. Structure and shape is baffling with players straying and playing out of positions. Oh well!

Remember these thoughts are my own and not rep...............................................................................: Sorry Wayne!

On to Padiham, usually a good ground for us, see everyone there under the masks!!
You might have a point Alan but, I see no point in repeating my views on the game, when they invariably reflect what you so admirably describe. My comments on the "performances" of the officials are to highlight that results are ,quite often, determined by significant errors by the officials. e.g. I believe that our 6 - 1 loss to Rylands in the FA Cup would not have happened if the Ryland's full back had been dismissed, when the score was 0 -0.

I went to the Irlam game our defensive shape is the problem. Our fullbacks play like wing backs and do not provide cover for the centre backs.

Back