• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Squad update

I might be the only one, but I find comments on here and other social media sites joking about pronouncing new players names uncomfortable. For me it has slightly unpleasant undertones. No one should feel their name is something to make fun of, especially if it is a sign of their heritage - something they and us should be proud of. If you are having to announce names, quietly learn them and do your best to get them right. This is someone’s name.
Kit - I think that you make a very valid point. But I don’t think that there isn’t any conscious unpleasantness or poking fun at people with seemingly ‘strange’ names. But that is the entire issue of conscious / unconscious bias.

No excuse, but there was a pretty similar situation 20+ years ago when many people from Eastern Europe came to settle in the U.K. Joke was at the time that your average Polish surname was akin to the worst ever scrabble hand!

Maybe the way forward is through Vicki, Bo and Goody to ask the new players how they wish their given names to be pronounced so we can ensure that we can address them correctly.

As a club that prides itself on being open and inclusive, this is an important issue as we do not want to exclude anyone from being part of our club whatever their race, creed, colour, beliefs, sexual orientation.

Kit - I think that you make a very valid point. But I don’t think that there isn’t any conscious unpleasantness or poking fun at people with seemingly ‘strange’ names. But that is the entire issue of conscious / unconscious bias.

No excuse, but there was a pretty similar situation 20+ years ago when many people from Eastern Europe came to settle in the U.K. Joke was at the time that your average Polish surname was akin to the worst ever scrabble hand!

Maybe the way forward is through Vicki, Bo and Goody to ask the new players how they wish their given names to be pronounced so we can ensure that we can address them correctly.

As a club that prides itself on being open and inclusive, this is an important issue as we do not want to exclude anyone from being part of our club whatever their race, creed, colour, beliefs, sexual orientation.
Thanks, James. Totally agree ?

I might be the only one, but I find comments on here and other social media sites joking about pronouncing new players names uncomfortable. For me it has slightly unpleasant undertones. No one should feel their name is something to make fun of, especially if it is a sign of their heritage - something they and us should be proud of. If you are having to announce names, quietly learn them and do your best to get them right. This is someone’s name.
Kit, sorry you feel like that. I was not making fun of their names but of me pronouncing them. And, I have every intention of doing just what you say to try to get them as correct as possible.

Kit, sorry you feel like that. I was not making fun of their names but of me pronouncing them. And, I have every intention of doing just what you say to try to get them as correct as possible.
Hi Richard, not a dig at you, there have been a number of comments across different social media platforms and I think it’s inappropriate. My post on here may have been a bit strong though! I just don’t want it to reflect poorly on the club.

At college I played badminton with a chap called P K Mishra and eventually I asked him what P K stood for.
He replied "You really don't want to know" . Seems he preferred to be called PK than hear British people mangling his name.

Maybe we can do better then that.

At college I played badminton with a chap called P K Mishra and eventually I asked him what P K stood for.
He replied "You really don't want to know" . Seems he preferred to be called PK than hear British people mangling his name.

Maybe we can do better then that.
As a referee you get called all sorts of names (and not always politically correct). I had to take my dad with me to games to prove I'd got one.
GE :oops:

Max Davidson - a left sided defender has signed.

Max Davidson - a left sided defender has signed.

Played for Welsh Premier League side Cefn Druids last season. Born in NI he started his career with Ballymena and played for fellow Irish side Bangor before heading to Wales. Welcome Max

Not been on here for ages... Jeez, negative much?
Looks like we may aswell be relegated before the season starts according to some!

Not been on here for ages... Jeez, negative much?
Looks like we may aswell be relegated before the season starts according to some!
From what I've seen we've got a decent squad for the money.

Matty Fenton & Jonah at the back, with other options in reserve.
Pace out wide, or tricky wingers.
Solid choices in the middle with Matt, Fenton Green, Jack Irlam & others.
And Jamie, Ash or Henry up top.

Meanwhile on the Witton forum there's some real doom & gloom

Seriously? We’re postponing friendlies because of “slight” injuries, which suggests the squad is nowhere near as big as we need or would like? Maybe I’ve got the wrong end of the stick put a bit of proactive PR wouldn’t go amiss. We’re what, a week away from the new season and the signings seem to be just dribbling in. Need a team of eleven, plus a subs bench, all of whom have to be able to match Newcastle Town for starters. We all want to get behind the Albs and see them challenging, but the lack of updates makes the whole situation feel like a bit of a downer.

Agree with all the above. From the pre-season games I’ve seen, including last night, we’ve looked very impressive and GoBo have indeed built a promising squad.

I’m excited for the new season now.

From what I've seen we've got a decent squad for the money.

Matty Fenton & Jonah at the back, with other options in reserve.
Pace out wide, or tricky wingers.
Solid choices in the middle with Matt, Fenton Green, Jack Irlam & others.
And Jamie, Ash or Henry up top.

Meanwhile on the Witton forum there's some real doom & gloom
This makes me smile ?
I'm also looking forward to the new season.
Got new players in,some younger players who will be wanting to become first team regulars.

Last season was always going to be a transition phase , in what is a very tough league.
The managers have seen what we are up against and trust in them we must.

Green army!!!!!

This makes me smile ?
I'm also looking forward to the new season.
Got new players in,some younger players who will be wanting to become first team regulars.

Last season was always going to be a transition phase , in what is a very tough league.
The managers have seen what we are up against and trust in them we must.

Green army!!!!!
I admit there was some element of doubt among a few posters. To some extent when other clubs adopt a fanfare of “signings” [starting in late May from memory?] and we have, inevitably, for one reason or another, players moving on, it can be a nervy time. We are a low budget club and we can’t adopt the same apparent financial largesse in tempting “marquee “ names. GoBo’s dark arts of identifying good, young, keen prospects and quietly, under the radar bringing them in preseason works for us as a club. Any fanfares and ears prick up …… and we know what happens next? Our Management team work hard enough to bring players into this club, without doing the scouting [again]on behalf of others ?. Nice to see what looks like an added element of robustness to the squad. The season ahead looks promising ????

In the immortal words of Mandy Rice-Davis " ~They would wouldn't they".

Personally ,as one who grew up the era of totally pointless but gripping rivalry between Vics and Witton, I think it is good to see the two Northwich teams in competition, especially as they have some ex players in their ranks. But it remains pointless -all that matters is how 1874 perform.

And let me say, having watched the matches on the video, it looks good so far and even the quality of the picture seems a huge improvement over the pre-damage days

In the immortal words of Mandy Rice-Davis " ~They would wouldn't they".

Personally ,as one who grew up the era of totally pointless but gripping rivalry between Vics and Witton, I think it is good to see the two Northwich teams in competition, especially as they have some ex players in their ranks. But it remains pointless -all that matters is how 1874 perform.

And let me say, having watched the matches on the video, it looks good so far and even the quality of the picture seems a huge improvement over the pre-damage days
VEO footage, excellent value for only £20 per season ?
All games, Home and Away.

Markell has signed for West Didsbury on dual contract terms.

Markell started for WD&C today.
Probably not the last player to be dual-reg this season.

Back