• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Sin Bins

PaulF

Legend
Aug 14, 2013
The FA have announced that they will trial sin bins in Step 7 leagues.

It will initially only apply to bookings for dissent.

What do you think this is a good idea.

Excellent idea. I've believed for a long time we should follow Rugby Unions lead as regard respect for Referees decisions.
You may not agree with them but it would make players respect decisions. I'd go as far to say only a captain should be able to approach a referee with any concerns there players have.
Certainly make players think twice before saying anything.

Yes, all in favour of that as a move forward.

Why is this under "Community"?

Excellent idea. I've believed for a long time we should follow Rugby Unions lead as regard respect for Referees decisions.
You may not agree with them but it would make players respect decisions. I'd go as far to say only a captain should be able to approach a referee with any concerns there players have.
Certainly make players think twice before saying anything.
I'd agree with that, providing the "dissent" didn't end up being channelled through the captain instead.

Hope these sin bins have plenty of seats and the officials can keep track of the comings and goings though ;):D

This has to be one of the most stupid ideas I've ever heard in my life, football and rugby are two completely different sports so the rules should be completely different

As for the dissent, the FA should do a better job of making sure that the referee's are up to the job at every level of the game which in turn will reduce dissent

Why should the rules for showing respect for the officials be different in any sport?

There is a severe recruitment problem with referees, and it is scarcely the FA's fault. More likely it is down to the fact that even at the lowest of levels, even with kids, the referees are routinely subjected to abuse and even assaulted. There is plenty of evidence of young referees giving up almost as soon as they have started.

Agree with Josh don't like the idea at all also some refs are a little bit card happy could you imagine say a last 15 mins of a match the vital stage in matches what happens if 4 or 5 players are booked in that period could end up with could end up 6 v 6 needs to be thought out better in my opinion

football and rugby are two completely different sports

Correct. One game shows respect to the referee, the other doesn't.

Players are banned in Rugby for foul and abusive language.

In footbal, nothing's done about it.

You'll find that if the players and referees have more respect for each other, you'll see better refereeing.

Correct. One game shows respect to the referee, the other doesn't.

Players are banned in Rugby for foul and abusive language.

In footbal, nothing's done about it.

You'll find that if the players and referees have more respect for each other, you'll see better refereeing.

Correct used to go to watch Sale Sharks in Union also the respect between fans in the sport another thing we will never have in football

I accept the rules of Football and Rugby are different however this wasn't mentioned.
Disrespect for officials has nothing to do with the rules of any game it's about showing respect for a level of authority . That's not only in sport but also in everyday life.( Parents , School etc)
Something has to be done because in my opinion the level of respect for officials at the moment is poor hence the recruitment problems.

Think it's a great idea to "give it a go" and see how it works. What have we really got to lose??
The level of disrespect from players is getting way out of hand at all levels and has been doing so for quite a long time now.
Regardless of the sport, a captain is there as the man who should be speaking for the team.
Let's get this spoilt kid attitude out of football!!

I honestly don't think some referee's have the respect for the job that they are doing, if they did a better job they wouldn't get the hassle that they do, I know its not an easy job but the majority of referees at our level honestly don't seem to care less about what their doing Imo, its just a day out to them

I honestly don't think some referee's have the respect for the job that they are doing, if they did a better job they wouldn't get the hassle that they do, I know its not an easy job but the majority of referees at our level honestly don't seem to care less about what their doing Imo, its just a day out to them

If you're constantly getting an earful off players, are you really going to 100% impartial? Never. You'll get no 50/50s going your way.

If you're constantly getting an earful off players, are you really going to 100% impartial? Never. You'll get no 50/50s going your way.

They wouldn't get an earful if they didn't make such terrible decisions, there's a difference between genuinely making a mistake (which everybody does) and just making it up as you go along

They wouldn't get an earful if they didn't make such terrible decisions, there's a difference between genuinely making a mistake (which everybody does) and just making it up as you go along

There's correct avenues to deal with poor referees. And that's a calm chat with the Captain, and on the paper work post match.

One of the things I disliked most about Street was the way he'd stand on the side line screaming abuse at the Ref. A manager should set an example to his team. It's no wonder we had such a poor disciplinary record under him.

Firstly I have to admit to being one of the worst shouters at referees. Having said that they are at this level because they are relatively new to it or are not up to progressing further. They are not making it up as they go along, I can assure you. When I used to referee rugby my favourite law was 26 iii h, not because of its convoluted number but because it was the one that dealt with this. If they did not like a decision march them back 10 metres and keep doing so until they shut up (or more usually their mates told then to shut up). The trouble is there are a lot of rules (or laws in rugby and cricket) and trying to remember them all and get them sorted is not easy.
There are of course the gentlemen in all sports who do naughty things behind the ref's back. Whereas in rugby the ref gets help from the touch judges (at the level I reffed we rarely had the luxury of them) who can and do see stuff off the ball in football this does not seem to happen, possibly because they are so busy trying to watch for off-side.
However bad the ref may be, w would not have a game without him.
I definitely think the sin bin is worth trying - I think this originated in ice hockey rather than rugby - if it stops the unseemly shows we get now it has to help. However, not sure it should have started at level 7. I think the premier league needs it more than anywhere else!

You've lost the plot big time mate.

Do you really believe refs purposely make bad decisions? They have a split second to see and decide what should happen - in any role people aren't 100% on the money.

I suppose in your view rugby should get rid of the video ref, football shouldn't introduce goal line technology - because they don't need help, do they? It's just because their incompetent

You've lost the plot big time mate.

Do you really believe refs purposely make bad decisions? They have a split second to see and decide what should happen - in any role people aren't 100% on the money.

I suppose in your view rugby should get rid of the video ref, football shouldn't introduce goal line technology - because they don't need help, do they? It's just because their incompetent

I just think that they don't help themselves by the inconsistency of their decisions and at times lack of common sense, I do understand though that it's a hard job and they aren't crap on purpose its just so damn annoying to watch

Back